Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Argentina vs. Germany - QF(59), Sat 03/07 15:00 (BST), Cape Town

• 30-06-2010 11:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭

a99.jpg

118505.png vs. 117297.png

Argentina vs. Germany

Saturday, 03/07/2010, 15:00pm (BST), Cape Town

Groundhog day in match 59 of the World Cup.
    Last time these two sides met was in (my hometown of) Berlin exactly 4 years ago in the 2006 World Cup - and it was at the quarter finals stage, too. Ayala scored the opener for Argentina but Kloses late(ish) equalizer took it into extra time and penalties where Germany won 5:3 after Lehmann making saves against Ayala and Cambiasso.

Both teams have moved on since then but still have a good few players from the previous World Cup in their ranks. Looking at the 2006 starting line-ups for Argentina names like Heinze, Mascherano, Rodriguez and Tevez look familiar while Friedrich, Mertesacker, Lahm, Schweinsteiger, Podolski & Klose are no less than six players who played that game for Germany back then. But the difference is in the players who weren't in those 2006 squads, especially Lionel Messi & Mesut Özil.

Lionel Messi is of course the undisputed heir to the throne of Maradona as the best player in the world.
    Mesut Özil is only after breaking through and while he is no Messi - and most likely never will be - he is the closest thing to 'a Messi' that Germany will ever possess.
    There is a very good chance that either of these two players will decide the game. Come on Mesut!!!

Anyway.
    Looking at both teams and what they have shown so far I'd give a slight advantage to Argentina. Argentina have been nothing but impressive so far and haven't played a game at full throttle yet I believe. People say they are 'dodgy' at the back, but they well make up for it going forward. There isn't a single player in the forward line who doesn't look like a threat.

Germany have impressed too and have disposed of the weaker opposition quite convincingly but actually lost one of their group games albeit under curious circumstances. The one thing I'd really give them great credit for is having scrambled to a 1:0 victory at altitude against the strongest team they played so far when they needed to win. That's usually the sign of a strong team.
    But Germany also is called being 'dodgy' at the back. Mostly down to a couple of 'flyers' by Neuer and the lanky look of Peer Mertesacker. Lahm is our best player by a mile, Friedrich is playing a great tournament and Boateng seems handy enough on the left.
    Again, what ever we lack at the back we are well able to make up for going forward.
    Podolski can have an off-day but looks like a threat anyway and on an on-day he is scary. Khedira is strong. Schweinsteiger is playing a fantastic tournament, he is maturing in South-Africa into a world class player. Klose just seems to be able to turn it on for the World Cup, not a bad talent to have. Özil is our spark that we haven't had before. What a great talent and I won't even attempt to describe how happy this man's presence makes a Germany supporter. Műller is unbelievable. He is still in his first professional season. A year ago he played for Bayern reserves (together with Badstuber) in the 3rd league. Thank. You. Louis. van. Gaal!!! In the meantime he won a double, played a Champions League Final and albeit being called 'Bambi on ice' what with his long, skinny legs he is now after scoring a brace against England in the World Cup knock-out stages. :eek:

After all the praising of Germany I still need to conclude saying advantage Argentina. They look more clinical, more robust, more experienced. On the other hand it's more so because they already haven proven to be all these things while we don't really know what Germany can do.
    Before the England game I was saying doesn't matter who wins because the winner goes out next round anyway. Now I'm saying the lads are going to get great confidence from the England game and maybe just maybe they can find another gear.
    I'm sure it will be an exciting contest with a lot of attacking play and a great game to watch for a neutral.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Really can't wait for this one. Potential to be game of the tournament because of how both teams go about their business. It will be intriguing to see how two not-so-solid defenses fare against two very dangerous attacking forces. Something is telling me that Germany could catch them here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Messi was in the 2006 World Cup squad for Argentina, he even scored and assisted in the 6-0 win over Serbia and Montenegro. He was just recovering from an injury that kept him out of the CL latter stages. Also, Peckerman bottled it in that game against Germany, he tried to settle for the 1-0 by brining on Cambiasso for Riquelme. Basically he replaced their ability to hold the ball up successfully and dictate the rhythm of the game with a player with another DMF. He also never brought on Messi. I was so disappointed that day.

Hope this time Messi and Maradonna get their revenge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I think this could very easily be match of the tournament. I expect goals and plenty of them, given that both teams have excellent attacking options and both teams also have question marks at the back.

Argentina have been really great to watch so far, but they also have yet to be really tested by a quality team. Their line up looks a bit mental to me , theres basically Mascherano, and two wingers in midfield (di Maria and Maxi) and then Messi, Tevez and Higuain playing further up the pitch. They do have amazing workrate and its obvious Maradona has them eating out of his hand and they won't lack ion hunger. But for all Tevez's tracking back and mascherano's outstanding defensive qualities I think a tactically astutue manager (which Loew appears to be after totally outfoxing Capello and exposing Englan's weaknesses) can expose them, especially with Ozil and Scweinsteiger in such amazing form.

Germany to take this, someting like 3-2 after extra time in a match that could be an all-time World Cup classic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I actually think Germany will make shít of Argentina in this one. As already said, they have not yet been tested by a decent side, though that have handily overcome whatever has been up against them.

I just think the Germans are a tad too wiley to lose this one. I think we will see a classic though. 3-2 or 4-3. I hope Argentina win though. I want to see Messi in the World Cup for as long as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I seriously can't wait for this.

Unless it's a Brazil-Argentina final then this is going to be the match of the tournament.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

gimmick wrote: »
    I want to see Messi Maradona in the World Cup for as long as possible.

He's been magnificent television so far and not half the oafish clown that he makes himself out to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Really looking forward to this one, I think the Germans will shade it. Klose will get at least one goal against the dodgy Argentinian defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Messi to score in this. Argies to win 3-1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

I think the Germans might clinch this. They should be able to control with pace and they love to counter attack. I'm hoping for lots of goals. This match is really hard to call though because if Messi is on form then there won't be much the Germans can do. I feel that there is less pressure on the Germans because most people expect Argentina to win it, but if they have control of the midfield they should win. I'm confident in Loews tactics, he had them absolutely spot on in the England game.

Anyone else want to see Messi not scoring again. It has been hilarious how half the goals have been set up by Messi yet he hasnt scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Deutsch fuseball ist konig

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Like the Germans but I am up for Argentina. Both play good football but both have slightly dodgy defences.

I think this could be a cracker where Messi stakes his claim as one of the true World Cup legends. Here's hoping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,840 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Messi to score and take Maradonna's men on further

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

As a lot of people are saying, this could be game of the tournament I think. Argetina going forward look frighteningly good and they have an abundance of talent up top, so they could really win any game they play, however I just think Germany are too organised for them and as a result I'm backing the Germans to win. As flahavaj said, Argetinas formation leaves them looking vulnerable in the middle of the pitch where Germany have Kedira and Schweinsteiger, who has been brilliant so far.

Loew seems like a good tactician and this will give Germany the upper hand in my opinion. Looking forward to it though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

_Bella_ wrote: »
    ...because if Messi is on form then there won't be much the Germans can do...

guidobuchwald.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I reckon Germany will boss the midfield, and that will be the key to the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Hoping for Argentina to go on and beat germany, I would give anything to see Maradona lift the World Cup also.

I would relish in the back pedaling by the media on Maradona or the excuses they would come up with.

Thats a fair bit away at this stage but still, Argentina 3 - 1 Germany.

Messi (2) Higiuan - Podolski

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Have money on both, but always back Argentina for every World Cup and am really pulling for them this time. I think out of the two Argentina have the greater potential to win the tournament.

Whichever way it goes I will be sorry to see the losing team go out as I feel both have lit up a somewhat dull world cup for fans. Best of luck to both teams.

3-2 for Argentina.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I think the Germans might clinch this. They should be able to control with pace and they love to counter attack. I'm hoping for lots of goals. This match is really hard to call though because if Messi is on form then there won't be much the Germans can do. I feel that there is less pressure on the Germans because most people expect Argentina to win it, but if they have control of the midfield they should win. I'm confident in Loews tactics, he had them absolutely spot on in the England game.

+ Paul the Octopus has said so.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I think Germany will do it.

Unless there are a few too many moments of magic from the likes of Messi I think the Germans will prgress, I have been very impressed with them all tournament.

Argentina's goals against Mexico were

1. Offside
    2. A terrible mistake
    3. A wonderstrike

Another day I think Mexico could have brought them to extra-time. Argentina are clinical and capable of moments of magic, but I think Germany are overall a better team. But they will have to stay alert at the back.

Betting-wise the following look tempting to me at the prices quoted:

- Germany 2-1 9/1

- Germany 3-2 35/1

- Higuain 1st scorer 11/2 (he's banging them in at the minute)

- Over 2.5 goals 11/10 or over 3.5 at 3/1 - Both teams like to attack. Argentina have too much attacking talent to not score a goal imo, but there defence looks very weak and are often left exposed by their attacking mentality. The Germans are clinical on the counter. So I would expect goals in this game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

if Messi is on form then there won't be much the Germans can do.

I'd say if Messi is on form, it'll be close game. Otherwise, Germany will take this by a couple of goals, IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭transylman

I'm expecting Germany to play defensively and attack on the counter, which will get them at least two goals. Argentina were not impressive in the game against Mexico and Messi also seems to be getting frustrated. Germany win I'm guessing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

There is a chance Messi doesn't score again and Argentina are kept out by the german defence. I think Germany will win If Argentina aren't 2-0 up by the end of the 1st half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Germany haven't a hope of keeping Argentina scoreless. Actually that German defense is set up to be destroyed by Argentina. Martesacker and Friedrich are not good enough in the middle to stop the Messi/Tevez/Higuain threat.

The Germans look good when they get forward but they are going to be pushed back so far I just don't see them being able to do too much. If they try and push up they will get destroyed on the counter.

4-1 Argentina imo.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Actually that German defense is set up to be destroyed by Argentina. Martesacker and Friedrich are not good enough in the middle to stop the Messi/Tevez/Higuain.

I hear some people repeating that over and over again but I actually have to see them play badly yet. Neuer had a couple of dodgy ones alright but the CBs have benn surprisingly solid. Plus we have one of the best right backs on the world, a pretty decent left back and Schweini and Khedira in front of them. I dare say it would take quite a team to score 4 against those guys. Plus w'ree deadly on the breaks. So really I can't follow your line at all. 4:1's only happen when teams of very different quality clash. Either way there won't be much between these two on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Hope this match can live up to the hype at least!

No real preference for either team, unless there is an unjustified sending off that happens, or some other c*ck up like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Germany haven't a hope of keeping Argentina scoreless. Actually that German defense is set up to be destroyed by Argentina. Martesacker and Friedrich are not good enough in the middle to stop the Messi/Tevez/Higuain threat.

The Germans look good when they get forward but they are going to be pushed back so far I just don't see them being able to do too much. If they try and push up they will get destroyed on the counter.

4-1 Argentina imo.

Way too much respect for Argentina; not nearly enough for Germany. Germany are far better than a counter-attacking side. Schweinsteiger and Khedira won't be bossed about in midfield. It'll be the other way around IMO. Defense isn't the best, but nor is Argentina's.
    I think Argentina have yet to be tested this world cup, but they will be tomorrow. How that works out for them remains to be seen. I think they'll struggle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

4-1 Argentina imo.

I think if any teams defence is going to get found out here it is going to be Argentina's defence. They have looked dodgy at times and this is going to be their toughest test yet. Think 11/5 on a German win is decent odds. Really think Germany will progress to the semis but we could see extra time in this match. Really looking forward to this game most out of all the quarters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭jv2000

s_carnage wrote: »
    I think if any teams defence is going to get found out here it is going to be Argentina's defence. They have looked dodgy at times and this is going to be their toughest test yet. Think 11/5 on a German win is decent odds. Really think Germany will progress to the semis but we could see extra time in this match. Really looking forward to this game most out of all the quarters.

Everybody is aware of the dodgy Argentina defence and we're all aware of how Germany exposed the bad defensive set up by england. More of the same for this match but with Argentina sticking them in at the other end. I expect a very highscoring match. Lets hope bith teams play as they can and dont hold off. This could be the match of the world cup so far..... I'm kind of expecting Holland and Brazil to be a complete bore.... a bit like last weeks Brazil Portugal match except with extra time.

Anyway back on topic, Germany to win barely in a tight high scoring match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Anyone think Veron will be starting tomorrow?

• Advertisement

if Argentina don't win Zanetti and Cambiasso being left out will be highlighted in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Germany will have more of the possession because their midfield is way stronger. Then the movement of Podolski, Ozil and Muller will be way too much for Argentina and that will get the Germans plenty of opportunities on goal.

Messi or Tevez are almost guaranteed to create a goal at some stage, whether they score it or Higuain finishes it off.

I can only see this being a cracking game and I think Germany will win it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think this one is tough to call but I feel Argentina's strength up front could be the difference.

Anyone hear about Maradona's comments? He's a mad thing!
    Argentina coach Diego Maradona laughed off German criticism of his team's play, suggesting that it showed the Europeans were running scared ahead of Saturday's quarter final.

"We don't have time to think of (Bastian) Schweinsteiger, the boys are thinking about getting on the field and playing a 2006 rematch. So it doesn't worry me what he says about penalties, kicks, that we don't know how to lose, it doesn't interest us," the outspoken trainer insisted in an interview with Fox Sports on Wednesday.

"A different game is played every match and this is going to be different, because we are coming out to attack them and play in their faces. This is what has them nervous."

'El Pelusa' then faced directly into the camera and in his best imitation of a Teutonic accent posed the question to the German: "What's the matter Schweinsteiger? Are you nervoushh?"

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1863/world-cup-2010/2010/07/01/2004165/world-cup-2010-diego-maradona-mocks-bastian-schweinsteiger

Video of it here:

:pac:

I'd say it's pretty deliberate what Lahm and Schweinsteiger were doing. I mean the 2006 game is pretty fresh in peoples memory. The Argentiniens went nuts after the game, there was bloody altercations and Frings got suspended over it for the semi final.
    So the team must have come to the conclusion that the Argentiniens are a bit hotheaded and it might not be a bad idea to stir a bit of sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭Onecoolcookie

Can't wait for this one should be a cracking game with plenty of goals, I'm sticking with the Germans, they play better as a team where as Argentina are just play as individuals and rely too heavily on Messi. Argentina have also yet to be given a proper test so far where as the Germans have come through a tough group so I think the Germans will just edge it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

I think Germany deserve to win and I hope they do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    I think Germany deserve to win

Has it kicked off early or something?

CAPE TOWN, South Africa — Argentina coach Diego Maradona went after World Cup referees on Friday, saying that Germany and Spain have benefited from "horrible" officiating to reach the quarterfinals.

Spain's goal in the 1-0 win over Portugal in the round of 16 should have been ruled offside by Argentine referee Hector Baldassi, Maradona said. He also disputed the red card shown to Portugal defender Ricardo Costa and said "every contested situation went Spain's way."

"I'm a good friend of Baldassi, we talk all the time, but my impression is that the refereeing was horrible," Maradona said.

"Baldassi was very bad. And the linesman was Andrea Bocelli," he said, referring to the blind Italian tenor, who will perform at a FIFA-endorsed concert to mark the end of the World Cup.

Maradona also blasted Uruguayan referee Jorge Larrionda, who failed to award England an obvious goal in its 4-1 loss to Germany, Argentina's next opponent.

"I don't know if it was revenge or not, but England's goal the other day was very clear," Maradona said. "As it was also clear that the goal that the linesman gave England against Germany in '66, it's not that it hit the line, it hit outside (the line) altogether."

Maradona was recalling a disputed England goal from the 1966 World Cup final between England and Germany, when Geoff Hurst's shot struck the underside of the crossbar, bounced down and spun back into play.

One of the tournament's most colorful figures, Maradona didn't mention another disputed goal — one that went Argentina's way.

Italian referee Roberto Rosetti awarded Argentina a goal against Mexico despite Carlos Tevez clearly being offside. Argentina went on to win, 3-1.

No cure for diarrhea as of yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Getting more and more excited for this by the minute, if it even comes close to living up to yesterdays events I'll be delighted :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Can't wait for this! Come on Germany!! :D

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Has it kicked off early or something?

haha! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Really looking forward to this game , This one can/will hopefully live up to the billing, For me the two most impressive teams . Tough one to call , Argentina maybe , Messi been the difference [there's a shock]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Maradona moaning in the Spanish press about the ref's performance for the Spain-Portugal game and saying that Villa's goal was an offside as great as any in this World Cup. What a character. Really hope they meet Spain and lose.

http://www.marca.com/2010/07/02/futbol/mundial_2010/selecciones/argentina/1278098069.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

man i cant wait for this game, has all the makings for an epic game

just hope the ref doesnt **** it up. Out of interest who is the ref?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,082 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Will the germs be able to contain Messi? i think so.

I see the Germans exposing weaknesses in the Argentinian defense.

2-1 to Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

The Germans will win this by a couple of goals. 4-2 my prediction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Messi doesn't seem to be 100% apparently from his cold. Still will be starting anyway though.

Argentina team from early rumours:

——————-Romero—————–
    Otamendi—-DeMichelis—-Samuel—Heinze
    ——–Maxi—-Mascherano—DiMaria—–
    ——————-Messi——————
    ————-Tevez——Higuain———–

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I cant wait for this, they are going to kick lumps out of each other to go with some class football. I just hope the referee doesnt lose control of it.

German line-up

1-Manuel Neuer; 16-Philipp Lahm, 3-Arne Friedrich, 17-Per Mertesacker, 20-Jerome Boateng, 13-Thomas Mueller, 6-Sami Khedira, 7-Bastian Schweinsteiger, 10-Lukas Podolski, 8-Mesut Ozil, 11-Miroslav Klose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Vamos Vamos Argentina!

• Advertisement
Advertisement