Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Argentina vs. Germany - QF(59), Sat 03/07 15:00 (BST), Cape Town

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

awesome talent on the wimmins count too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

typical germans with their dull efficient football. where is the flair i ask you

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Germany have to be favourites on the back of that second half. The Dutch were resolute, but it took a massive slice of luck to get them back into yesterday's game.

Argentina were never properly tested at this World Cup. It shows that you can only go so far these days with two or three world class players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Would love to see Klose overtake Ronaldos record, hopefully will do it against Paraguay/Spain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

In terms of Argentinian expectations, then this has to be viewed as a humiliation. They were undressed in the 2nd half. Tactically, Germany were a class above them. How Maxi & Di Maria stayed on until the end I don't know. The big worry for Argentina coming into the WC was their defense and they were shown up today. Burdisso and Otamendi had nightmare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

That was far more one sided then I expected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Bah really want Germany to win the whole thing now but have some cash on Spain. One of them better win anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

Good jesus!!!!...Spain v Germany? that will be some game..can the Germans be stopped? if Holland get through, you'd have to fear for them:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Archimedes wrote: »
    Typical Germans. So boring.

Obviously you weren't watching the same game as me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Not the germans again!!:mad:
    Hope Spain/paraguay beat them.
    Bleeding kraut eaters:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,173 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Completely shat on them.

A Germany-Netherlands final would be epic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Humiliation!

at least England scored 1

ahem, 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I think a Germany Holland finally would be a fitting tribute to team football.

However, I suspect that Spain are going to beat the Germans.

Paparazzo wrote: »

You need a new one of these

http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2009/4/9/633748533114571260-Sarcasm.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

We just beat Argentina 4:0 :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

mcwhirter wrote: »
    ahem, 2

The ref's always right ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

PHB wrote: »
    I think a Germany Holland finally would be a fitting tribute to team football.

However, I suspect that Spain are going to beat the Germans.
    Are you saying that Spain don't play team football?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Germany march on to the semis

Argentina march to Lansdowne Road............... every cloud!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Even though the 4-0 score was maybe flattering, it is getting very hard to see past them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,082 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

i wonder will there be any scrutiny on maradona for not bringing Cambiasso and Zanetti. it's no good having quality up front if there is sod all service to them.
    Also i definitely think these German players priortise playing for their country above all else. how else do you explain them being average for their clubs this season then coming to life in the World Cup?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Maradona won't get the same treatment as Dunga because he won Argentina a World Cup pretty much on his own but his formation was just horrendous.

He only had on central midfielder on the pitch. I don't for the life me understand how Veron was not playing. If it comes out he was injured, then I can't understand how Bolatti was not on the field.

This is more a case of a hopeless coach losing with a world class squad rather than just an excellent coach winning with a decent squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I'm disappointed tbh. I was hoping for much more quality.

Argentina's midfield and back four simply could not defend. Germany had to do very little today to get the result and it wasn't really a test imo.

The Germans were relatively well organised at the back and slick in the final third whenever they did decide to go forward. But they just had it so easy when they needed goals.

Maradona is a disgrace. Veron, Cambiasso, Riquelme, Zanetti - all missing when they were needed. And a team that no idea how to defend. As a coach he added nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Imo the Germans are the only team who deserve to win the tournament on their previous performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

Paparazzo wrote: »
    great football by germans, the argies where always weak in back and the germans showed this,for new young team,good world cup for them,germany /spain final maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

i wonder will there be any scrutiny on maradona for not bringing Cambiasso and Zanetti. it's no good having quality up front if there is sod all service to them.
    Also i definitely think these German players priortise playing for their country above all else. how else do you explain them being average for their clubs this season then coming to life in the World Cup?

So gettin into the champions league final is 'average' now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

eagle eye wrote: »
    Maradona won't get the same treatment as Dunga because he won Argentina a World Cup pretty much on his own but his formation was just horrendous.

He only had on central midfielder on the pitch. I don't for the life me understand how Veron was not playing. If it comes out he was injured, then I can't understand how Bolatti was not on the field.

This is more a case of a hopeless coach losing with a world class squad rather than just an excellent coach winning with a decent squad.

I might be reading you wrong, but Argentina are a long way from World Class. Messi is world class, Tevez is world class. Mascherano and Higuain are just shy of being World Class. But thats it. Odameda was hopeless, Maxi R was hopeless, Di Michelis is poor. I would also suggest Real Madrid revise their decision to buy Di Maria, the man is nowehere near as skillful and as fast as he is suggest to be. Then the likes of Samuel and Veron are relics of a byegone era. Furthermore, the likes of Jonas Gutierrez would be nowhere near a "world class" squad. The man was playing in the English second tier, which would suggest that they are struggling to fill the right back position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

I think its going to be a repeat of the 1974 final, only this time its the Germans who are playing the good football throughout the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    Imo the Germans are the only team who deserve to win the tournament on their previous performances.

I don't understand your logic. If Spain come along and beat them then Germany don't deserve to win it.

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    I don't understand your logic. If Spain come along and beat them then Germany don't deserve to win it.
    germany deserve too win,had too laugh at comments on bbc,when they said they beat the big 3 ,england wherent even ckise

• Advertisement

dont agree

I don't agree with making a post just saying you don't agree without saying why it is you don't agree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭transylman

If germany pass spain and get to netherlands in the final they will make mincemeat of them.

read again,being changed

Boskowski wrote: »
    So gettin into the champions league final is 'average' now?

Well even Van Gal admitted Bayern were fortunate to beat Man Utd in the champions league.
    As it was they were well beaten by Inter in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,954 ✭✭✭LeeroyJones

Nemanja91 wrote: »

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The Netherlands have won EVERY match so far in this World Cup and the qualifying campaign!!! How are they not included as a team who deserve to win the World Cup!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Het-Field wrote: »
    I might be reading you wrong, but Argentina are a long way from World Class. Messi is world class, Tevez is world class. Mascherano and Higuain are just shy of being World Class. But thats it. Odameda was hopeless, Maxi R was hopeless, Di Michelis is poor. I would also suggest Real Madrid revise their decision to buy Di Maria, the man is nowehere near as skillful and as fast as he is suggest to be. Then the likes of Samuel and Veron are relics of a byegone era. Furthermore, the likes of Jonas Gutierrez would be nowhere near a "world class" squad. The man was playing in the English second tier, which would suggest that they are struggling to fill the right back position.

Don't care about this world-class reputation when it comes to the biggest tournament in the sport.

Messi - didn't live up to his name.
    Higuain - apart from the S. Korea match, did little of note.
    Tevez - was at the level I expected.
    Di Maria - actually wasn't too bad today, and was no more embarrasing than the 'world class' players

Veron, because of his experience, was dearly needed in that midfield today, and of course the Zanetti and Cambiasso omissions will be brought up again now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

masch the "barber"

spain is only them that be germanys hardest game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I expect Spain to beat them. It'll be a good game though.

Kold wrote: »
    I expect Spain to beat them. It'll be a good game though.
    be good game but spain only win if big mistake but i see germany beating them on current form

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

anyone know the last team before Germany 2010 to score 4 goals or more in 3 matches or more in 1 wc ? great goal return. thinking back as far as 82 which is the earliest I remember and can't think of any.

• Advertisement

eagle eye wrote: »

I think given the scoreline and the previous controversy over the top players he omitted he'll cop a huge amount of criticism back in Argentina.

Giles and Ronnie reckon there's no need for a holding player in football based on one game.

Pair of genius's.

Giles..." back in my day ".....

People expect far too much of Messi. Look how much of the ball Di Maria had, it should be Messi picking the balls up in those positions but Argentina just didn't have the players to make that happen for him, hence his dropping far deeper than he should be. I feel sorry for the guy.

messi was closed down alot in last few games,still nice too watch

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭The Cannibal

Spain are a tad dodgy at the back and Germany are lethal on the counter. Should be entertaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,489 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Against a strong attacking team the German system is good enough to exploit it. I think Spain as usual wont have the bottle and will be too attack minded.
    Holland in the final..hmm too close to call.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,682 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

real pity to see Muller suspended

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

jaykay74 wrote: »
    anyone know the last team before Germany 2010 to score 4 goals or more in 3 matches or more in 1 wc ? great goal return. thinking back as far as 82 which is the earliest I remember and can't think of any.

from http://twitter.com/InfostradaLive
    #GER Germany are the first team for 40 years to score 4+ goals in 3+ different #worldcup matches. The last to do so were #BRA Brazil at the 1970 #worldcup .
    21 minutes ago via TweetDeck

People just presuming Spain are through! Has this world cup not thought you that shock results can happen!? Germany were excellent today, if they dont win the world cup this year they will have a great team by the next one. They were never expected to get this far even by the German public! Fair play to them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    People expect far too much of Messi. Look how much of the ball Di Maria had, it should be Messi picking the balls up in those positions but Argentina just didn't have the players to make that happen for him, hence his dropping far deeper than he should be. I feel sorry for the guy.

If Verson was on, or if Riquelme was in the squad, they would have been in Messi' position today. Messi plays best in between the midfield and defence ala Barcelona, instead he was the Iniesta/Xavi of the squad today.

Romero

Zanetti
    Demichilis
    Samuel
    Heinze

Cambiasso

Veron
    Riquelme

Messi
    Tevez

Higuain

This side would have put up a tougher match against the germans, Veron and Riquelme would have been creating and the front 3 would be focused solely between defence and midfield. The argentine squad today wasn't the best we could have seen by a half mile.

Instead Zanetti/Cambiasso/Riquelme are out because of quarrels with Maradona and he ends up kissing the rest of the squad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement