Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Importing Car Parts From US

• 30-06-2010 11:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at buying some parts online from the US for my Volvo S60 - oil pan sump (after a collission with a lump of wood); timing belt kit, water pump, brake pads, etc. From the looks of it I'll save a good bit (oil sump is half price quoted by Volvo dealer). My question is has anyone done this and did you have to pay import duty when the parts arrived?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

yeah sure did... they added the value of parts (stated on the shipping docs) plus the cost of shipping then taxed the total! ie they taxed the cost of shipping too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Drop Hellrazer a PM, he got me genuine Volvo parts for my S40 recently, alot cheaper than from other Volvo dealers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭griffin100

Thanks for that. I'll PM hellrazer. What rate did they charge you CarMuppet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭mullingar

I always get parts for my Lexus from the US.

Usually is 50-60% of the cost here, even with full duty/postage paid!:D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,809 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Griffin--Got your pm and replied with the prices.

Bazz thanks for the recommendation.

• Advertisement

griffin100 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I'll PM hellrazer. What rate did they charge you CarMuppet?

arhggg.... it was over 9 months ago... I'll have to dig out the receipts.. I'll get back to you... I do remember feeling quite sore though..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I buy a lot of parts from US, I will only use USPS to avoid Fedex and UPS overcharging, and not all parcels are stopped for VAT and duty this side. You might be lucky.

CarMuppet wrote: »
    arhggg.... it was over 9 months ago... I'll have to dig out the receipts.. I'll get back to you... I do remember feeling quite sore though..

I couldn't find the old receipts this morning... but from memory my purchase price was approx us$500 + shipping. The final customs + VAT bill was around the euro200 mark.

I think I got charged a customs rate on the value of the item; THEN 21% VAT on the total again. Double taxation. I guess they are trying to protect Irish jobs in the motor manufacturing industry here. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭griffin100

Thanks to all. Managed to get the parts from Hellrazer for much the same as the cost of importing them from the US (not including duty!) so well happy.

Advertisement