Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brazil v Netherlands 1/4 final Friday 3.00 pm

• 30-06-2010 11:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭

This should be a very good match and is the first heavyweight game between a top South American team and a top European team. We all know how Brazil are going to play, keep it tight with a lightning fast counter-attack. The interesting part is how will Holland play?

Who will qualify? 50 votes

Brazil
    0%
    Holland
    100%
    Vokesmike65PalefaceCivilServantpickarooneyKoldT-b0n3Kingp35applehunterandrewieJPApatmaceZe^Savmanronan.hFizmanleninbenjaminPeyton ManningironictoasterFrisbee 50 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Holland
    Brazil look like they'll have too much for them imo. Would love to see Holland go through though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Holland
    Sticking with my pre-tournament prediction for Brazil to win the whole thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Holland
    I expect brazil to win without a doubt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Holland
    If Melo isn't fit, I reckon Josue will take his place. Hopefully Elano can get back in time.

Van Perise needs to step up his game big-time. Although, that may not be enough against Juan and Lucio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Winner of this one will go all the way.

Not going to vote, dont want to curse it (i am Dutch)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Going mad that i will be in work for this game. I will have sky+ doing its magic and if anyone even breatehs the score at work they will be punished by death.

I have only seen Holland play Japan so far in this tournament, but by all accounts they have been rather impressive, only conceding 2 so far, both of which have been penalties.

I have seen all of Brazils games and I think they are getting better by the game. On that basis, I just cannot see anyone in this tournament beating them, so I think a Brazil 3-1 win here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,555 ✭✭✭Gillington

Holland
    Heart says Holland,head says Brazil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Holland
    Hard to see past Brazil but should be a good game either way. Holland won't be a pushover, if they score first we would have a real game on our hands as Brazil would have to go at them, which would surely be a sight to behold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Holland
    Dutch won't do it, too little in the areas that win games - Van Persie pissed off and not really at the races, defence esp right back not great. Robben is their only genuine threat up against Alves and Lucio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I think this will be extremely tight. Neither side have been tested yet, but both have done what's necessary. I'd expect Robben to have a field day against Bastos though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Holland
    Brazil.
    I honestly can't see them being beaten at this WC. They're the perfect counter-attacking team, a solid defence and midfield, two very quick wingers, a creative talisman in the centre and a big lump of a striker up top, who actually has a lot of talent, unlike Emile Heskey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Holland
    Ya I'm bloody disgusted this is on at 3pm. I'm trying to arrange work out of the office so I can leave early and get home but I'm having no luck so far. :(

I think Brazil are too well balanced, probably the most balanced team in the tournament. Granted that someone said Robben could do well against Bastos.......imagine what Maicon and Dani Alves could do on the right when confronted with Van Bronckhorst!:eek:

I think this will be the Netherlands biggest concern. Fascinating fixture though. Gonna have to Sky+ the sh1t out of it, although I'll still probably end up streaming it in the office (albeit with no sound).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Holland are like Portugal IMO. I can't see either team winning this worldcup. Spain still look best at the moment. They hold onto the ball better than any other team in it. Brazil playing a counter attacking game will be very tough against a disciplined defense, which they have yet to play.

I still don't know what the hype about Holland is? One man team with Roben. If it's true what they say about Van P arguing about being taken off. Then it looks like Holland could fall victims to themselves.

Holland
    Nabber wrote: »
    Holland are like Portugal IMO. I can't see either team winning this worldcup.
    Yeah, Portugal defo won't now tbh :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

I cant see past Brazil to be honest. I expect Netherlands to put up a good fight tho and make it hard for brazil to get anything. Cant wait for it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Final: Holland - Germany 1:2 Müller :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Elano's out for the QF too, which I suppose makes it likely that Alves will again start in front of Maicon on the right. Kuyt will have a field day! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,840 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Holland
    I'd love to see Holland progress but I fear it will be Brazil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Holland
    Elano's out for the QF too, which I suppose makes it likely that Alves will again start in front of Maicon on the right. Kuyt will have a field day! :)

Ya Elano is out, Ramires is suspended and fitness worries about Melo and Baptista. Ramires played very well the last day. Though Melo can be cumbersome he is decent on his day and I reckon he will make it back in time to start with Alves keeping his place with Elano out. Robinho has started quite well and still could be the star of this tournament. What a difference to the Man City Robinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Holland
    Brazil 2-1 for me.

Expect them to have just to much for Holland.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Holland
    Hopefully Brazil will win this and there will be something worth watching in the game. If The Selaçao score first it might make Holland actually play for once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Holland

A field day running around a lot after them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Extra time at lest, if not a PSO. Holland to edge it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Would like to see Netherlands do it. A new name on the trophy, please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Hard to tell I feel like this Brazil is predictable in their play: let their opponents come on to them then quicly break with Robinho, Kaka and Fabiano. The Dutch look like they haven't even tried so far so its hard to tell how much they can step it up. Their defence has looked good and both play with similar formations. Van Persie, Sneijder and Robben will have to play their best if they want to win because all it takes is one moment of Brazilian magic and they are on their way home. I'm backing Holland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Holland
    _Bella_ wrote: »
    Hard to tell I feel like this Brazil is predictable in their play: let their opponents come on to them then quicly break with Robinho, Kaka and Fabiano.

Of course they are, but it doesn't matter. Those three launch lightening quick counter attacks, their one touch passing to get themselves one on one has been sublime so far.

Defend deep and you have a different challenge. The likes of Alves, Maicon, Ramires, Bastos will have loads of fun running at defences and getting them into wide positions.

In contrast, the dutch really lack width. Even Robben, their best winger likes to cut inside from the right hand position. Brazil will have a field day just soaking up attacks and limiting the Dutch to half chances from distance.

Not to mention the Dutch defenders are very average, and their centre backs are particularly immobile at times. They will be relying on De Jong and van Bommel to track the movement of Brazil's attackers.

I'd love Holland to win, but Brazil are very very strong in all areas of the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

The way Brazil have been playing has been very good and its only getting better..but I think Brazil could well be in for a surprise tomorrow evening...I'm sure the dutch were aware of the more or less easy route they where going to have to get to this stage and may have been playing some poker football..there might be a twist and a sting in their tail! hopefully it will be a great match. hup Holland!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

I've got this gut feeling it's going to be a horribly dull match resulting in one team nicking a goal.

I'm hoping I'm wrong and it turns out to be a classic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Brazil are by far and away the most impressive side I've seen in the World Cup to date, I can see them winning this one quite easily. I don't rate the Dutch defense, Slovakia had their chances against them and you can be sure that the Brazilians will punish errors in defense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

draw for sure. hope the dutch go through on pens (as i have them in the sweep!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,817 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Anything but penos - I hate them :o

Brazil beat Holland fair and square in the quarter finals in '94 (after Holland beat Ireland in the round of 16) and Brazil beat Holland on penalties in the semi finals in '98...

It's hard to see Brazil not winning this world cup, but at this stage anything is possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Holland
    Frisbee wrote: »
    Sticking with my pre-tournament prediction for Brazil to win the whole thing.

Same as that. Have it marked down as a Brazil - Spain final. I underestimated the German team though, had Argentina down as 3rd. That'll be a tough game too. Toss of a coin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I feel there's still a lot left in the Dutch tank. Usually with the Dutch they peak too sign and then implode. That hasn't happened this time and I get the feeling they can easily go up a gear or two if needed like against Brazil.

I wouldn't put money on it but I can see the Dutch coming through this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Holland
    Think it's vital for Holland to start positively, and create and finish chances early, more so than Brazil. Brazil have the better defence too!

We saw how a very attacking side in Chile had no real gameplan or answer, after the first goal the other night.

It all points to a Brazil win...but you just dont know, Holland have always taken the foot off the pedal in the qualifying games when they knew the game was secured..I really get the feeling they have been doing the needful through the group stage and saving their best for the business end of the competition. We will see tomorrow if these lads can play football

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

If Robben is on form he will definitely score IMO, he has been outstanding for Bayern. Meanwhile, if Kaka has a bad game Brazil won't be very good, which is a possibility considering his season at Real Madrid.

EDIT: Oh, and and BTW, they're called Holland, DUH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

I reckon we're in for a tight defensive game with few chances for both sides but Holland to nick it 1-0 with a late goal or possibly in extra time.

I'm gunning for the Dutchies, but no way could I call this...

Superb!

:D

Yeah, kaka seems to affect theri attacking attitude..the one game he missed, they weren't as expressive, ..he's coming into this game with a yellow hanging over his head, so maybe he wont be as sharp.. with half a mind on the semi's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Holland
    I don't think Kaka needs to have a particularly good game for Brazil to progress. They'll simply let Netherlands have the ball in the 1st half and then take their 2 or 3 chances with counter-attacks as we've seen so far this WC and in last years Confederation Cup. Is Stekelenburg a weakness when defending set-pieces? Could be something there for Brazil if so.

I can't see Van Persie having any joy against Lucio and Juan. Robben is a problem though - as I can see him catching Bastos out of position at least once in the game, and then Juan may subsequently have to take a yellow card hit since he'll be left in a 1on1 with Robben. Which will mean Juan misses the semi-final.

Will also be an interesting battle to see how Kuyt gets on attempting to pin Maicon back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Any one know what the weathers been like in Port Liz this week?
    This is the pitch that cut up really badly last Saturday (Uruguay v South Korea) when heavy rain fell. Would be a shame if this spoiled the Brazil/Holland game.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭gingelion

Holland will win by a goal. Brazil will definitely score.

Bout 12 hours will prove me right.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I'd love the Dutch to do it but like most people kind of expect Brazil to have a bit too much for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Holland
    Can't see past Brazil here, too strong defensively and should have more than enough up front to get the better of a very average dutch defence.

Brazil 3-1 Holland (With Brazil taking a 3-0 lead)

Optimism & half day Friday ftw :D

Holland
    The main thing is the 2 day WC famine is OVER :pac:

Oh vuvuzela how I missed thee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

78146774.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Looking forward to this :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Amount of players on yellow :0 !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,391 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I fancy the Dutch in this. 1-0.

Should be a good game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

really want the upset with holland but really dont see brazil being beaten.

• Advertisement
Advertisement