Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brazil v Netherlands 1/4 final Friday 3.00 pm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,817 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Yeeeeeeeessss!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

jayteecork wrote: »
    That save the keeper made in the first half against the Kaka won them the game.
    One of the best saves I've seen.

Totally agree with it winning the match for them...although it was a carbon copy of the Nigeria keepers save to deny Messi in the Nigeria/Argentina game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

How didnt Van Bommel get booked/sent off? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Holland
    Liam Brady is showing how retarded he is by saying "I don't think they won it by football, I think they won it on temperment".

What a fool. ****ing idiot.

The Dutch won on skill and soccer. Brazil lost their heads because the Dutch were getting around them all the time.

That's what happens when you're the strong favourites and can't get a touch of the ball, you foul.

What a clown.

A clown that made a pre-tournament prediction that the Dutch would win the World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Sometimes football games live up to the hype. Great game!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭KerranJast

_Bella_ wrote: »
    Felipe Melo is going to be absolutely slaughtered in the Brazilian press
    He deserves it the idiot. As does Bastos and half the rest of the team. It was like a sunday league game at times with the one tricky player on the pitch winding up all the hard men by going down when tackled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

You can't say that. Any team on their day can win. Especially if it is Uruguay with their strikeforce.

What odds a repeat of the original World Cup Final now?
    Fair point..that was shown this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

It will be Dunga who will really get the sword.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

You can't say that. Any team on their day can win. Especially if it is Uruguay with their strikeforce.

What odds a repeat of the original World Cup Final now?

Yup i agree 100%. I wouldnt go writing off either Uruguay or Ghana at this stage. If it does so happen to be Uruguay then Forlan and Suarez will cause serious trouble for that dutch backline. They will be with out van der Wiel for one and they didnt really look convincing today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

titan18 wrote: »
    Portugal,Ivory Coast and Chile and this was their first real test?

Probably had harder games than any other team in it

Portugal hardly counts as Brazil were already qualified and rested several players - wasnt that the match were nobody was bothered.

Against Ivory Coast and Chile they were their usual overwhelming favourites and didnt have much pressure on them.

Up step Holland - first real test of the tournament with the pressure on and they buckled.

and as for Harder games I dont think so - What about Spain ?

Since they lost the opener they have had to practically play 3 finals!

They needed to win their last two group games just to assure qualification then they had a tough test against Portugal in the last 16.

For all the criticism that has been thrown at them on this forum they won all 3 with the pressure on.

Brazil have fallen after their first real test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

chupacabra wrote: »
    Yup i agree 100%. I wouldnt go writing off either Uruguay or Ghana at this stage. If it does so happen to be Uruguay then Forlan and Suarez will cause serious trouble for that dutch backline. They will be with out van der Wiel for one and they didnt really look convincing today.

I'd say the Dutch would prefer to be playing Ghana

I think if Uruguay beat Ghana they will be happier they ain't playing Brazil. Netherlands will be missing De Jong also.

Holland

I'd forgotten about the suspensions the Dutch have for the semi. De Jong is a loss too. Really makes it an open game.

Van Bommel should have got a yellow at some stage too. Might have stopped him making cynical challenges like the one on Lucio near the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Another team downed for parking the bus !

At no point did Brazil look like regaining the lead after the OG. Dunga has paid for a poor form of football. They were the opposite of the team which made Ivory Coast look so ordinary.

A very interesting potential. However, it is the only thing which ensures interest in a defensive and dour world cup !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

A clown that made a pre-tournament prediction that the Dutch would win the World Cup.

He would have taken that back before the match, he said: "that money is gone", lol. Even a blind pig finds a chestnut sometimes.

It's easy to say Brazil fouled, they fouled because Netherlands didn't give them a chance to get at them legitimately.

After they impressed me against Slovakia (a very good team) I also backed Netherlands to win the world cup at 7/1 and to go forward today at I think 7/4. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

redout wrote: »
    Portugal hardly counts as Brazil were already qualified and rested several players - wasnt that the match were nobody was bothered.

Against Ivory Coast and Chile they were their usual overwhelming favourites and didnt have much pressure on them.

Up step Holland - first real test of the tournament with the pressure on and they buckled.

and as for Harder games I dont think so - What about Spain ?

Since they lost the opener they have had to practically play 3 finals!

They needed to win their last two group games just to assure qualification then they had a tough test against Portugal in the last 16.

For all the criticism that has been thrown at them on this forum they won all 3 with the pressure on.

Brazil have fallen after their first real test.

The Portugal match was pretty poor, but I think Robinho was the only person rested, and the Portuguese didn't rest anyone.They were the favourites in those matches, but so were the Spanish if you're going to compare them to them.Taking away both Chile and Portugal, Brazil had Ivory Coast and North Korea,and Spain had Switzerland and Honduras.Just having Ivory Coast there shows that Brazil had harder games.

Kuyt or Sneijder for MoM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Kuyt or Sneijder for MoM

Kuyt has been Man of the Tournament so far for Holland.
    So underrated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Holland
    Not a bit racist by Ronnie there talking about the Ref.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Have lost a **** load of money but had a good laugh at this..

twitter_holandapacman_62.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

The brazilians really lost their heads when the dutch equalised. I think the goal spurred on the dutch, but if brazil had held out then we'd be looking at extra time. The game was saved by the dutch keeper. If he didn;t get to Kaka's curler in the 1st half I really think it would have (not would of like some people type :rolleyes:) been game over.

Van Persie was shocking today. Robben had lumps kicked outta him all game, but boy does he milk it. Fair play to them. They should get past either of Ghana or U-are-gay to make it to the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Nemanja91 wrote: »

Just because someone criticises a person of another colour, it doesn't make them racist

How tense would a Gemany Netherlands final with their rivalry

Des wrote: »
    Just because someone criticises a person of another colour, it doesn't make them racist

Yeah but he basically said he had no idea why someone from Japan should be allowed referee a quarter final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Wow! I was not expecting this. The Brazilians bottled it big time. The ref had a shocker and they just got too caught up in the physical game. I knew that Brazil's defence would let them down sooner or later but I was still expecting them to be able to out score the Dutch today if they had to.

If Brazil had just kept their heads and played a bit when it was 1-1 I think they could have been comfortable. But they just totally bottled it. Madness.

The Dutch played alright today. Van Bommel and de Jong are a bit of a liability with their tendency to crazy tackles. But the team is well organised and with Robben, van Persie and Sneijder they always have a chance.

Well done Netherlands.

I'd imagine he might be referencing the standard of refereeing in Japan?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Not really racist but I did find it funny that the had to point that out. Then go on the say that he was only there because they couldn't use a South American or a European ref because of the teams involved, and for one of them to ask " What about an English ref ?"

Pro. F wrote: »
    Wow! I was not expecting this. The Brazilians bottled it big time. The ref had a shocker and they just got too caught up in the physical game. I knew that Brazil's defence would let them down sooner or later but I was still expecting them to be able to out score the Dutch today if they had to.

If Brazil had just kept their heads and played a bit when it was 1-1 I think they could have been comfortable. But they just totally bottled it. Madness.

The Dutch played alright today. Van Bommel and de Jong are a bit of a liability with their tendency to crazy tackles. But the team is well organised and with Robben, van Persie and Sneijder they always have a chance.

Well done Netherlands.

Well the Dutch goals were both set pieces so it wasn't really flowing football from them but they made things difficult. Lots of fouls. I reckon Brazil defo had the best defence in the competition though.

Holland
    Yeah but he basically said he had no idea why someone from Japan should be allowed referee a quarter final

That is not racist, he is questioning whether he has refereed big games before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Really enjoyed that, sitting in Dutch Bar in Gran Canaria, they know how to celebrate!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Grow a brain.

Japanese football is not on a level where they would have referees up to the standard of the premier league. Ronnie made it quite clear. He didn't mention skin colour did he?

This statement is racist is it?

Jesus, ye can't say anything anymore, the PC brigade are everywhere. FFS.

Brazil lost their nerve, lashed out and were a wash out.

Robben. What a player. Robben for Liverpool :)

No, it wasn't in any way racist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Jesus, someone must have **** in Brady's cornflakes this morning. He's been listening to Wenger too long, bitching and moaning about the Dutch being 'too physical' and 'not playing the game properly'. I think he honestly believes that every single team should go out and try to pass the other team to death.

Either way, great game which Brazil totally bottled once they gave away the equaliser.

he's right, the ref was shocking, if that's the best Japan can offer, then they shouldn't have a ref at the quarter final stage. It's not because of his race, it's because of his reffing abilities.

He's there just because he's from Japan, but he shouldn't be there for that reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

titan18 wrote: »
    The Portugal match was pretty poor, but I think Robinho was the only person rested, and the Portuguese didn't rest anyone.They were the favourites in those matches, but so were the Spanish if you're going to compare them to them.Taking away both Chile and Portugal, Brazil had Ivory Coast and North Korea,and Spain had Switzerland and Honduras.Just having Ivory Coast there shows that Brazil had harder games.

I dont think you understand the whole concept of pressure.

Spain had to win or else face elimination since they lost their first game - Brazil were not in that position until the last 16 and even then they were favourites over Chile who they brushed aside.

Holland provided them with their first real test and they failed.

he's right, the ref was shocking, if that's the best Japan can offer, then they shouldn't have a ref at the quarter final stage. It's not because of his race, it's because of his reffing abilities.

He's there just because he's from Japan, but he shouldn't be there for that reason

I don't think thats why he is there,don't they do a review after the group stages? Anyway referees from any country can have a howler, who can forget that English referee who showed the same guy three yellow cards before sending him off. That was a game that was very difficult to referee, I don't think any referee could have come out looking perfect.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Holland
    dubmick wrote: »
    last four winners of the World Cup have now been knocked out of the 2010 World Cup

Incorrect. The winners of the last four World Cups have been knocked out.
    The Germans are still there yet ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Glad to see Brazil go out........ The Brazilians are a very arrogant footballing nation- I saw a documentary on their 98 world cup performance and the reactions back home when they lost the final....... they'll probably have another day of mourning :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Holland
    Melo-drama!

This has been one awful year for Felipe Melo. One wonders how he got in the squad at all. It's been a good one for Wesley Sneijder though. If Holland go all the way he could be an outside bet for player of the year.

It was truly a game of two halves. Brazil's mastery in the first and their capitulation in the second. Apart from not carding van Bommel I don't think the ref did much wrong. Why is he getting such a slating?

• Advertisement

Bullcrap. The ref was superb today. He called all the fouls that were fouls and didn't call a dive a foul. Brazil were making really subtle tackles at times, and the referee spotted them all. What the hell more do you want?

He probably should have given van Bommel a yellow card, that's it.

You haven't been listening to Brady have you...? :rolleyes:

Holland

Well if you are being picky, the poster may have meant that the winners of the 2006, 2002, 1998 and 1994 World Cups have been knocked out. If he meant the last four countries to win a World Cup...then you are right. I'd say the former was meant though ;)

Ush1 wrote: »
    Well the Dutch goals were both set pieces so it wasn't really flowing football from them but they made things difficult. Lots of fouls.
    I reckon Brazil defo had the best defence in the competition though
    Brazil were just as guilty of fouling, if not more so. It was a very poor game considering the array of talent on the pitch. That ref has screwed us over.

It's amazing how many of the big teams have, or have had, a poor defence in this world cup. I suspect that Uruguay's defence might be the best but they haven't really been tested yet.

I've been suspicious of Brazil's defence for a while now (that's why I voted Germany to win it). The flaws were exposed today.
    Jesus, ye can't say anything anymore, the PC brigade are everywhere. FFS.

Bella isn't being politically correct - he is being wrong.

Holland
    Just imagine the headlines that Melo imagined when he played that cracker of a pass through to Robinho for the opener. How fickle sport can be sometimes

Pro. F wrote: »
    That ref has screwed us over.

Explain exactly how the "ref has screwed us over".

Where exactly did the ref make a glaring error apart from no yellow card for van bommel?

Come on, up with it now? Where was the bad referreeing?

And the Brazilians were like animals, they were going for the Dutch legs with malicious intent. It's amazing Robben and Sneijder among others weren't limping off the field, such extremely dangerous tackles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,082 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

well, it seems i was wrong about Brazil having the best defense in the tournament;)

although, what ultimately lost them the games was that they lack what the Germs have in an abundance upstairs.

I want Holland to go all the way now seeing as they've not won the World Cup before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

West Germany won it, not Germany

[/pedantics]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,082 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Just imagine the headlines that Melo imagined when he played that cracker of a pass through to Robinho for the opener. How fickle sport can be sometimes

I don't have much sympathy for him to be honest. It's Dunga i feel sorry for who'll be lambasted back home over what was essentially a collective failing on the part of his players when the heat came on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I thought the ref did a decent job.

• Advertisement

West Germany won it, not Germany

[/pedantics]

Does my head in too.

This Germany is NOT the same country as the old West Germany, ffs East and West Germany were in the same group in one WC

Also does my head in when people attribute everything Czechoslovakia did to just The Czech Republic, and Slovakia don't get a look in.

And then there's the idiot commentators in the Serbia/Germany game who were saying that Serbia was basically the old Yugoslavia and they "inherited" their football history. Er, no. Croatia, Macedonia, Montenegro, Bosnia & Herzegovina and Slovenia are all entitled to that too, but they never attribute the history to anyone but Serbia.

Also, Russia is NOT the old USSR.

Advertisement