Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home-made Composter and Water butt

Options
  • 30-06-2010 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Does anyone know where I could get old-fashioned plastic rubbish bins? I want to flip one over and cut the top out to make a composter and also one for a water butt. Figure it would be cheaper than store-bought composters and water butts. Have checked DIY and garden centres but no joy! Or large barrels?
    Thanks a lot for any tips!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

Having spoken to many people who purchased the 70 litre water butts, they are far too small. One person I know has to empty their one the night before heavy rain is forecast ! Then it empties far too fast during a drought period !

I intend putting in a 1300 litre plastic oil tank behind the garage when the time comes to install one, your only man !

Secman

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

secman wrote: »
    I intend putting in a 1300 litre plastic oil tank behind the garage when the time comes to install one, your only man !

Secman

I hope that its a brand new UNUSED tank,as you cannot use a used oil tank as no matter how well you clean it,it will still be contaminated with oil and you cannot use that to water plants or veg.You are also contaminating and poluting the soil too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭John mac

I got a 1000L tank from the local builder (used for water)

its a white one in a cage. has a 3" ball valve at the bottom .
    so a blank cap with a tank connector and hose connector and bobs your auntie :)

I built up a platform so the top is just below the level of the gutter on the garage, and outlet is about 1.7M off the ground.

diverted the 2 gutters to it .

most local authorities do a composter for €25 ish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

I am also using a 1000L IBC tank.

Finally got around to connecting it up the day before yesterday and have 900L in it this morning. I bought it for €90, but saw some on adverts a week later for €35-€45 I think, can't find them now thou. BTW new oil tanks are extremely expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,312 ✭✭✭secman

I take your point about a new oil tank costing more, but I think that being green in colour that they will not stand out as much as a white tank. Anyways the main idea is to get a decent volume of water in a butt. My main point is that the DIY ones holding 70- 100 litres are of no real use.

Secman

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

John mac wrote: »
    I got a 1000L tank from the local builder (used for water)

its a white one in a cage. has a 3" ball valve at the bottom .
    so a blank cap with a tank connector and hose connector and bobs your auntie :)

had one of these while building my house. Think there was sugary stuff/mollasses in it? Was a bit of brown stuff in the bottom anyway that had to be cleaned out before use.

I wonder if this can be used for garden water....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

If you'll collect from Dublin 8 you can have my compost bin for free.

ETA: it's one like this: http://www.gardenaction.co.uk/images/compost_bin_plastic_mine.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

kylith, that's a very generous offer, thanks a million! D8, that's around Phoenix park/Kilmainham area, right? Would you be about at the weekend?
    And thanks for the other replies ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

had one of these while building my house. Think there was sugary stuff/mollasses in it? Was a bit of brown stuff in the bottom anyway that had to be cleaned out before use.

I wonder if this can be used for garden water....

It should state that they were used for 'Foodstuffs only' or something like that. I just gave it a good wash out. Smelt very Hobs like (beer type smell) but didn't bother tasting it:P

Some pressure/volume out of it 900L, fills a watering can in a few seconds.

BTW does anyone know where to get attachments to the 50mm threaded nozzle? Nevermind found them on Donedeal. Loads of IBC tanks there for sale too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭John mac

i used about 200L today on the tunnel. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

redser7 wrote: »
    kylith, that's a very generous offer, thanks a million! D8, that's around Phoenix park/Kilmainham area, right? Would you be about at the weekend?
    And thanks for the other replies ...
    PM'd you.

Advertisement