Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phase ground problem with pickups

• 30-06-2010 12:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭

Hi all.

Last night I was installing 2 golden age pickups in too a les paul style guitar. The pickups consist of 3 wires bare negative/ground white for single red for humbucker.

Wired up both pickups fine with split coils but in parrallel both pickups are out of phase. Easily fixed by swapping polarity of red and bare wire but then I am left with an ungrounded pickup that is noisey if I try to earth it it shorts(the bare wire is neagtive and on to pickup case)

So I opened pickup to swap the case wire to the red but it is not possible...

Anyone have any ideas or theories.......oes any one know of a passive phase inverter?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

eagle10 wrote: »
    Hi all.

Last night I was installing 2 golden age pickups in too a les paul style guitar. The pickups consist of 3 wires bare negative/ground white for single red for humbucker.

Wired up both pickups fine with split coils but in parrallel both pickups are out of phase. Easily fixed by swapping polarity of red and bare wire but then I am left with an ungrounded pickup that is noisey if I try to earth it it shorts(the bare wire is neagtive and on to pickup case)

So I opened pickup to swap the case wire to the red but it is not possible...

Anyone have any ideas or theories.......oes any one know of a passive phase inverter?

It sounds like they dont want you to be able to flip the phase, its the price of having 3 wires instead of 4 or 5. The pickup case goes hot when you try to :eek:. Youd have to modify the pickups I'd say.

Its best if you can get it so the case has its own earth wire and isnt connected to anything else, then you can have your conductor wires to flip with no earthing problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

eoin5 wrote: »
    It sounds like they dont want you to be able to flip the phase, its the price of having 3 wires instead of 4 or 5. The pickup case goes hot when you try to :eek:. Youd have to modify the pickups I'd say.

Its best if you can get it so the case has its own earth wire and isnt connected to anything else, then you can have your conductor wires to flip with no earthing problems.

my thoughts exactly tried to swap the wire coming of the case with no luck there is a lot of wax in there and from previous experience with cased humbuckers its nearly a gauranteed way to destroy a pickup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

eagle10 wrote: »
    my thoughts exactly tried to swap the wire coming of the case with no luck there is a lot of wax in there and from previous experience with cased humbuckers its nearly a gauranteed way to destroy a pickup

Aye, if its wax potted then your outta luck.

Advertisement