Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ti Frame recommendations

• 30-06-2010 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

So I'm planning to build myself a new bike in the autumn, partially financed through the bike to work scheme. At the moment I'm planning on a Ti frame as my current bike is steel and 20 years old and I'd like the next one to last as long, I don't feel that would be likely with carbon.

It will be used mostly for sportives like Wicklow 200, Marmotte etc, but possibly a bit of racing from time to time. My curent favourite is the Van Nicholas Zephyr, but I've also looked at Enigma and Litespeed. Budget is €1-2K for the frame.

Anyone have any experience of these manufacturers, or any other recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

Guybrush T wrote: »
    It will be used mostly for sportives like Wicklow 200, Marmotte erc, but possibly a bit of racing from time to time. My curent favourite is the Van Nicholas Zephyr, but I've also looked at Enigma and Litespeed. Budget is €1-2K for the frame.

Anyone have any experience of these manufacturers, or any other recommendations?

I've a ti Litespeed Blue Ridge tourer. I don't think they make them anymore. I like it. It's not particularly light, and it's more of an audax bike than a true out and out tourer, but it works for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Also consider Planet-X.

I recently built up an Enigma (here), but it's an unusual custom build so not sure my opinions are useful.

That said, from first impressions I don't think the ride quality is better than my carbon bikes, but it is probably more flexy - I get some rear brake rub when pulling away from a stop, although that might be the wheels I'm using.

Enigmas get good reviews, and the only other person I know with one likes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭RoubX

I'm currently getting this frame custom built by Justin Burls. It's got a "Colnago" top tube and bi-ovalised down tube. It's a custom build and mine wouldn't be really configured for racing with a 72 head angle and longish wheelbase, also mudguard eyes for the weather we normally get (don't know whats happening this year!). However, all tubes and geometry are customizable and it costs £950. I hope to get it in time for the Sean Kelly.

Advertisement