Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kelly Brook snapped with 16-year old Beach Hunk

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Its not really hypocrisy to be honest-I presume if the role was reversed the story would be very similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Falcon Crest

He's the son of her friend's. Nothing going on there except the papers as usual printing bull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Speedboatchase I get where you were coming from here. This was to be a serious thread. As such, I'm deleting all posts so far and we'll start again.

AH style posts deleted.

My own view is that some papers would react with outrage and anger at a 30 year old man being with a 16 year old girl but let's face it, the legal age of conent in England is 16 so many papers wouldn't bat an eyelid unless the guy had just left his wife or he was a politician or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

cris evens springs to mind him and billie pipper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

I think Kelly Brook is one of those girls who simply cannot be alone- you know the analogy of never letting go of one branch until you have hold of another- anytime she breaks up with a guy she seems ot immediately be woth another.

She's hot, no doubt about that, but something strange about how quickly she moves on.

As far the original point- I think its weird for a 30 y/o to date a 16 y/o regardless of the genders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

I ganced past this story on theweb today, wouldnt read this type of trash tbh.
    Thats sick, he's 16! Rotten b**ch.

Surely we all here know a relative thats 30? Now what if she came home with a sixteen year old??? Personally I'd laugh at her.
    Not to mention if it was someone like a male 30 year old celeb seeing a sixteen year old girl!

Bottom line is he is a boy ffs. He's the same age as that Bieber kid!!!!

220px-Justin_Bieber.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

This story is blown way out of proportion. There is not any evidence that there is anything going on between the two. Is it really getting to a stage where an adult can not be present in the company of a young person without them needing to ride each other incessantly. This is juts idle speculation and it says more aout the jornalistic qualities of the writer than impune the character of Kelly Brook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Mrmoe wrote: »
    This story is blown way out of proportion. There is not any evidence that there is anything going on between the two. Is it really getting to a stage where an adult can not be present in the company of a young person without them needing to ride each other incessantly. This is juts idle speculation and it says more aout the jornalistic qualities of the writer than impune the character of Kelly Brook.

The issue I have (I'm the OP by the way) is not that things are blown out of proportion, or if anything actually happened between them - but the way the story has been presented, as a "16 year old hunk" and a 30 year old woman possibly getting up to something - as if they're nothing strange or predatory about that. As I've said, the report are trying to nudge in inklings of a romance, and if that was their intention, you can bet the coverage and headlines would be completely different had the genders been reversed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

The issue I have (I'm the OP by the way) is not that things are blown out of proportion, or if anything actually happened between them - but the way the story has been presented, as a "16 year old hunk" and a 30 year old woman possibly getting up to something - as if they're nothing strange or predatory about that. As I've said, the report are trying to nudge in inklings of a romance, and if that was their intention, you can bet the coverage and headlines would be completely different had the genders been reversed.

I can see what you are saying alright, I missed this point in your op. If it was an older man and a female teenager then it would be probably be along the lines of
    " Seedy old man stalks sweet innocent young girl "

I think as long as it is restricted to the tabloid media, people should know to expect this. That doesn't make it right but at least it can be screened out. I think that type of reporting denigrates women as well as men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,265 ✭✭✭SugarHigh

hightower1 wrote: »
    I ganced past this story on theweb today, wouldnt read this type of trash tbh.
    Thats sick, he's 16! Rotten b**ch.
    Yes you would and clearly have done right now:confused:

How is she a rotten bitch?
    What proves she is dating him and 16 is legal over there anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

OK folks, this is a serious thread

i've deleted some more posts

leave the AH style responses to AH please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

We know if the genders were the other way around, then the headlines would be different saying the man is a dirty old man.

But this attitude will not change as long as peoples attitudes dont change about older woman with younger guys.

We already have had two mods give warnings because of those attiudes on posts here.

We know if the genders were the other way around, then the headlines would be different saying the man is a dirty old man.

But this attitude will not change as long as peoples attitudes dont change about older woman with younger guys.

We already have had two mods give warnings because of those attiudes on posts here.
    I don't really see what harm is being done to him.

Even if we do assume that they are dating I don't really care what the big deal is. He's 16 and if you had to guess what age he was from looking at the pics you would probably say 20's.

I really can't imagine a scenario where when he gets older he is going to look back and feel he was taken advantage of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

forget about the whole gender bias thing here for a second, and let me ask this.

Do people think that there is something wrong with this situation IF the tabloid crapola turns out to be true?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Reminds me of the the time the Star in England was running a story calling for Brass Eye to be axed after the spoof peadophile show while at the same time running the headline "She's a big girl now" in relation to then 15 year olds Charlotte Chruch's expanding titties, in the exact same newspaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

Its legal in the UK for people over 16 to have sex. So there is nothing illegal there.Even reversing genders she is not a teacher or anything else.

For her to have a relationship with the son of a man that she has had a relationship with be very seedy. So that would be the "ethical part" if she has featured in their lives in an "eat up your greens way" /relationship with "Dad" way.

So for her to bed and bonk junior would be tacky in a tabloid problem page "I am sleeping with my EX-BOYFRIENDS SON" way.

If that wasn't the case well who really cares. Its like me teasing my 19 y/o son about going to Tamangoes on Mickey Money night.

30 with 16 (17 in Ireland)is a bit opposite end of the scales).

There is a bit of a double standard about sex and younger people starting off in life but if a young woman groupie blags her way into a back stage party with her favorite rock band and bags the lead singer - she might do it for lots of reasons.( No outrage there BTW Kylie never returned my calls :)).

So excluding any previous relationship with Dad. Nothing too wrong there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Dr Galen wrote: »
    Do people think that there is something wrong with this situation IF the tabloid crapola turns out to be true?

I do. 30 and 16 may be legal but it's just not right IMO. Having said that, at 16 there is no question that I would have hit that given the opportunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭AARRRRGH

Khannie wrote: »
    I do. 30 and 16 may be legal but it's just not right IMO. Having said that, at 16 there is no question that I would have hit that given the opportunity.

When I was 16 I would have gladly consented to sex with any woman who was interested, never mind Kelly Brook.
    That boy is a hero if he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

AARRRRGH wrote: »
    When I was 16 I would have gladly consented to sex with any woman who was interested, never mind Kelly Brook.
    That boy is a hero if he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 andrewbradley

There is no way a 30 and a 16 year old having sex is ever right. Fair enough it's kelly brook i'd say there is no truth in the story the media blow everything out of proportion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

Fml

when i was 30 -16 year old girls were out of the question.When I was 22 16 year old girls were out of the question.

If he was 18 and she 32 -different ball game.

Am I operating my own standard here or should I be saying none of my business if the person is old enough legally to have sex.

CDfm wrote: »
    when i was 30 -16 year old girls were out of the question.When I was 22 16 year old girls were out of the question.

If he was 18 and she 32 -different ball game.

Am I operating my own standard here or should I be saying none of my business if the person is old enough legally to have sex.
    But that's a 16 year old girl not a 16 year old boy. People are saying it's wrong simply because they would find it wrong for a old man to date a 16 year old girl.

I genuinely don't see what negative impact she could have on the guy that would be caused by her being 30. However it would be different if it was a man because I would view him as a predator sort of situation.

Yes I agree this is a double standard but I don't care.

SugarHigh wrote: »
    But that's a 16 year old girl not a 16 year old boy. People are saying it's wrong simply because they would find it wrong for a old man to date a 16 year old girl.

Ok when I was thirty I lived in the UK and the sixteen year olds I would have known were baby sitters to my kids.

Now this veers into the territory of statutory rape ethics and whether a child can give consent or whether date rape or drunk girl sex is wrong. Those areas all are where force is absent and the person might look the age or force is not used. So what are your views on them.
    I genuinely don't see what negative impact she could have on the guy that would be caused by her being 30. However it would be different if it was a man because I would view him as a predator sort of situation.

Yes I agree this is a double standard but I don't care.

Is it different if the girl is sexually experianced and initiates the sex.
    Consensual sex teenager to teenager is different. Thats one issue.Statutory rape is another.The double standard is that you would class the situation with a female predator and male victim as being a victimless crime -is that what you are saying here ?

Having sex with your stepmother or mother in law is very much Jeremy Kyle or Jerry Springer territory.This is on the same track with Dads former love interest and sloppy seconds.

Should fraustrated mothers of teenage sons have sex with their sons schoolfriends.? What about female teachers, scholl nurses,doctors etc. Its in that league.Here its one of his Dads ex partners.

So its not Kelly Brook per se -its a female family friend and a teenage boy and remove the celebrity and hotness and thats what you've got.

I wonder what his mother and father think of all this btw.

It is a double standard and the laws are there to protect the vulnerable, not all people are vulnerable or exploitable, and you get some very streetwise 16 year old girls and some very sensitive 16 year old boys.

And its societies job to protect them.

I would like to see if any teachers, medics, and sports enthusiasts out there have a view.

Statutory rape is another.The double standard is that you would class the situation with a female predator and male victim as being a victimless crime -is that what you are saying here ?
    Yea, I genuinely view as a completely different situation than if a man did it because I view teenage girls as being more vulnerable. I genuinely can't see what damage could be done by what she is doing. The fact he's a friends kid makes it unusual but not wrong.

I agree it's societies job to protect the vulnerable but I just don't see how he is vulnerable. At what stage will he look back on this and regret it, because I don't ever see that happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,824 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I agree it's societies job to protect the vulnerable but I just don't see how he is vulnerable. At what stage will he look back on this and regret it, because I don't ever see that happening.
    And what if she was a fat hag who was using her experience to take advantage of him? What if a 16 year-old girl wanted to sleep with the male equivalent of Kelly Brook, would she ever look back later and regret it?

Personally, I think 16 is too young for a total age-of-consent lifting. There should be a graduated scale ending at 18, e.g. two 14-year-olds having sex isn't an offence, but a 17-year-old and a 14-year-old is. After 18, it should, for want of a better phrase, be a free-for-all. Anything between 2 consenting adults is fair game

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Yea, I genuinely view as a completely different situation than if a man did it because I view teenage girls as being more vulnerable. I genuinely can't see what damage could be done by what she is doing. The fact he's a friends kid makes it unusual but not wrong.

Ok reverse the genders and -what would you think.And why is it different??

I am not trying to catch you out here ,BTW, it is a genuine connundrum of our time concerning statutory rape and older younger sex.

Values also change, but the OP was asking why is it different gender wise as I cant see the difference myself. The value on chastity and availability of contraception means you would hardly think its changed but it has.

I have a teenage daughter 17 btw -would I think it wrong if she debagged what she calls the cute 14 year old in second year. Probably.Anyway, she is old enough to work that out for herself. Would I be concerned if she was out with a 30 y/o. Yes. the reason being that the decisions would be out of her hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭RedRebel

Stop being a pleb and read a real newspaper :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

RedRebel wrote: »
    Stop being a pleb and read a real newspaper :mad:

Cop on.

• Advertisement

To be fair, The Sun is hardly what I'd call 'Gentlemen's Club' worthy. It's a rag. Its stories are rubbish, editorial and journalistic quality is non-existent and the language they use makes my ears cry.

To be fair, The Sun is hardly what I'd call 'Gentlemen's Club' worthy. It's a rag. Its stories are rubbish, editorial and journalistic quality is non-existent and the language they use makes my ears cry.

totally agree, and if you'd posted that in the first place, there'd be no issue. But calling another poster a pleb isn't on, and of course, he's free to read any paper he wants whatever you or I may think of it :)

tbh wrote: »
    totally agree, and if you'd posted that in the first place, there'd be no issue. But calling another poster a pleb isn't on, and of course, he's free to read any paper he wants whatever you or I may think of it :)

Point taken. Name calling isn't a very gentlemanly behavior :( . Apologies to OP.

I'll rephrase and say that The Sun is imo a miserable rag custom made to be consumed by uneducated plebs and while the OP is of course perfectly free to read whatsoever he wishes I believe he does himself a disservice by reading it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is your problem that a relationship between two consenting adults with a large age gap is not being treated as a scandal in this case or that it would be in the reverse scenario?

I personally don't see why it's an issue, or why (as mentioned earlier) it would have been a big deal when Chris Evans was with Billie Piper.

Ok reverse the genders and -what would you think.And why is it different??
    I just don't think a woman is capable of taking advantage of a 16 year old boy the same way a man could do it to a 16 year old girl. I'd view the man as a predator and in time the girl would figure out what had happened and may be quite traumatised by it. I do not think this kid will ever feel traumatised by this.

If you are so smart why haven't you realised this thread has nothing to do with "The Sun". It doesn't matter if what is printed is true or not because the thread is just a discussion about older women going after young men and being treated differently than when a man does it.It clearly has nothing to do with Kelly Brooke or "The Sun".

• Advertisement

If you are so smart why haven't you realised this thread has nothing to do with "The Sun". It doesn't matter if what is printed is true or not because the thread is just a discussion about older women going after young men and being treated differently than when a man does it.It clearly has nothing to do with Kelly Brooke or "The Sun".

That aspect of this thread is now over. Rebel, don't reply

I just don't think a woman is capable of taking advantage of a 16 year old boy the same way a man could do it to a 16 year old girl. I'd view the man as a predator and in time the girl would figure out what had happened and may be quite traumatised by it. I do not think this kid will ever feel traumatised by this.

I don't agree with you and a boy is capable as feeling just as vulnerable as a girl. Take the difference in suicide rates. The physical difference is penetration and we are talking "consensual" not "forceable" here

Esther Rantzen disagrees with you and she calls it Gender blindness as do Childline.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/nov/09/boys-sexual-abuse-childline

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1228366/I-abused-woman-haunts-day.html

Forget about gender stereotyping here and I am not looking to ramp up the victim culture here.

Women havent had a reason to look at it until now either and I am not saying everyone is vulnerable here but in the same way a guy should refuse a willing consensual underage girl so to should a woman a young boy.

The way I see it, its simple...

the guys 16... when i was 16 i left home simpply because school sucked and well i decieded i thuaght it would be a great idea to chase my dreams I had a good time to..

I say fair play to the chap kelly brooke is hot :), if you were 16 and she asked you to go to the beach with her would you

A: say no

B: say yes....

Personally speaking id be there with in a jiffy my legs would touch the ground....

I'm sorry at 16 your nearly a man no question... you maybe wet behinde the ears but its a fact... any one who say s a 16 year old is a boy needs there heads cheacked because majority of people I know who where 16
    were smoked lot of drug went magic mushroom picking, partyed drank shaged younger girls......

so what hes 16 so what shes 30... granted it appears desperate but sure...
    having said that when i lived in kerry lads at 26 where going out with 17 year old girls....

my grandad was 14 years younger then my granny...

So Snowie & I don't have a pulpit here (is that my 17 y/o daughter I hear knocking from under the stairs) but consensual sex and consent is a nasty subject.

Girls vs boys -I dont see too much of a difference -except the risk of pregnancy rather than the act. More the mans culpability or equal.

Should a boy under 18 get a girl or woman pregnant -should he ever have to pay maintenance??

Should a boy under 18 get a girl or woman pregnant -should he ever have to pay maintenance??

OT
    why i see it, weather the womans 30 nd the boy 16 or the girl is 17, and the male 30...

If hes man enough to not use a condom then hes man enough to deal with all the consaquences...weather hes 16 or 30 my daughters wellfaire would be my main priority and if that measn setting a rot wiler on him to snap into line so be it...

• Advertisement

And a girl of the same age -is she too mentally feeble to understand the situation about sperm being contagious.

So for that matter if you have a sexually active girl by her own choice -who has adequete contraception and barrier protection all should be equal then or is it??

And just say our 16 y/o gets a 30 year old pregnant -how should maintenance work if she initiates the sex.

And a girl of the same age -is she too mentally feeble to understand the situation about sperm being contagious.

So for that matter if you have a sexually active girl by her own choice -who has adequete contraception and barrier protection all should be equal then or is it??

And just say our 16 y/o gets a 30 year old pregnant -how should maintenance work if she initiates the sex.

It doesnt affect me im not in that situation. :pac:

It doesnt affect me im not in that situation. :pac:

Hey hey Snowie - you are sitting on the fence quite expertly there ;)

But really, it is a difficult question & it is a moral and ethical question for women but can be a criminal prosecution for a man.

Now I am not making light of the consequences for a woman which could include pregnancy and/or abortion but a woman taling advantage of a boy could put him in all kinds of bother he is not emotionally equiped to handle.

It goes beyond the sex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

But really, it is a difficult question & it is a moral and ethical question for women but can be a criminal prosecution for a man.

Now I am not making light of the consequences for a woman which could include pregnancy and/or abortion but a woman taling advantage of a boy could put him in all kinds of bother he is not emotionally equiped to handle.

It goes beyond the sex.

Surely a man taking advantage of a girl also puts her in all kinds of bother she may not be emotionally equipped to handle too? And how is a young man any less the father of any baby he makes than an older man? Or any young girl any less a mother for that matter?

If a young man should be exempt from maintenance if he gets an older woman pregnant, what exemptions should a young girl get if she get pregnant by an older man?

No exemptions apply really. If you're over the age of consent, you take the consequences like a man/woman.

The ethical and moral considerations apply to both genders, and a man can't be crimminally prosecuted if the girl is over the age of consent.

Which the young man is, by UK law, in the OP.

Giselle wrote: »
    Surely a man taking advantage of a girl also puts her in all kinds of bother she may not be emotionally equipped to handle too? And how is a young man any less the father of any baby he makes than an older man? Or any young girl any less a mother for that matter?
    ................................................................................................................

Which the young man is, by UK law, in the OP.

Exactly, but a young lad faced with kelly brook in the nip may not make the rational choice.I am saying the rules should apply accross the board as should the morals and ethics. The story looks bogus to me.

I know a few guys who have settled down happily with older women and are together years later.

The issue is a big issue in the USA with the female teacher thing poping up a lot -excuse the source of the link.

http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=33895

Age of consent is not the only issue at play as you say -you have financial and legal responsibilities too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

Exactly, but a young lad faced with kelly brook in the nip may not make the rational choice.I am saying the rules should apply accross the board as should the morals and ethics. The story looks bogus to me.

I know a few guys who have settled down happily with older women and are together years later.

The issue is a big issue in the USA with the female teacher thing poping up a lot -excuse the source of the link.

http://www.wnd.com/?pageId=33895

Age of consent is not the only issue at play as you say -you have financial and legal responsibilities too.

I don't see any relevance there to my post, or the post I was addressing.

There's no comparison between two people above the age of consent and a teacher abusing their position of authority and trust with a minor.

Male teachers do it too btw, but the female ones are more newsworthy and sensational I suppose.

And I hate all this business about lads not making rational choices when faced with beautiful women in the 'nip'. Its just too close to the old argument that men can't help themselves and are slaves to their instincts. It just sells all men short.

Giselle wrote: »
    I don't see any relevance there to my post, or the post I was addressing.

There's no comparison between two people above the age of consent and a teacher abusing their position of authority and trust with a minor.

Male teachers do it too btw, but the female ones are more newsworthy and sensational I suppose.

And I hate all this business about lads not making rational choices when faced with beautiful women in the 'nip'. Its just too close to the old argument that men can't help themselves and are slaves to their instincts. It just sells all men short.

What I am saying is that there is a school of thought that it does matter.I put the link in to show what was happening in other countries.

Men teachers do it too. You are right that men are often portrayed as helpless. Also a young guy may be more influenced and is human too.It is not without consequences.

Now put a young guy with a determined older woman and who knows what might happen.So as a society the issue is avoided or put to one side when a young guy is involved. That is probably the point the OP was highlighting.

So Giselle -how do you see the differences between boys and girls in that comtext ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

A lot gossip pages and websites heavily hint at her being in the closet so that in mind with stories about her. A lof of it is clearly PR.

I heard a radio interview with an ex-model who said the best paid job in modeling in the UK in the early 1980s was George Michaels girlfriend -so rovert you have a point and homosexuality in an entertainer is a hard sell .

Good point -she would be caught between the devil and the bright blue sea denying this. They could be attempting to out her.Which would be wrong.

That is as it is, but on the face of it there is a double standard with older women getting sexually involved with boys who have reached puberty or are in their mid teens and some women don't seem to think it is wrong.

I heard a radio interview with an ex-model who said the best paid job in modeling in the UK in the early 1980s was George Michaels girlfriend -so rovert you have a point and homosexuality in an entertainer is a hard sell .

Good point -she would be caught between the devil and the bright blue sea denying this. They could be attempting to out her.Which would be wrong.

That is as it is, but on the face of it there is a double standard with older women getting sexually involved with boys who have reached puberty or are in their mid teens and lots of women don't seem to think it is wrong.

lots of people don't seem to think it is wrong, and lots of people do. Your gender doesn't predispose you to have one opinion or the other.

CD, lets not turn this into another "men vs women" thread.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement