Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disabling p2p

• 30-06-2010 1:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Is there any way to block p2p at router level, as my sister is using limewire and will get us caught for illegal downloading.

I have a BT Voyager 2210 Wireless modem,

thanks,

Kevin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Did a bit of googling there and it looks like it can't be done!

See here for more info, http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=426300

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Because you can't actually do what you want (AFAIK), why not try and convince your sister to stop? Tell her why she has to stop.

Yes please school her on the Evils of p2p. Dont copy that floppy. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

uninstall limewire and put admin password on the pc so she cant install anythinbg.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

uninstall limewire and put admin password on the pc so she cant install anythinbg.
    This is what I had to do for a number of systems. I also as a further security backup installed third party software that blocked the installing of apps without permission via password entered.

• Advertisement

Block p2p port numbers, not fammiliar with that router, but it should have port blocking function.

Here are some p2p default ports,
    Kazaa, Grokster, Morpheous 
    TCP 1214
    UDP 1214

eDonkey
    TCP 4661-4672
    UDP 4661-4672

WinMX & Napster
    TCP 6257
    UDP 6257
    TCP 6699
    UDP 6699

BitTorrent
    TCP 6881-6889
    UDP 6881-6889

Gnutella (Bearshare, Limewire)
    TCP 6346, 6347, 6348
    UDP 6346, 6347, 6348

Napster
    TCP 4444, 5555, 6666, 7777, 8888
    UDP 4444, 5555, 6666, 7777, 8888

Share Direct
    TCP 2705
    UDP 2705

Grouper 
    TCP 8038
    UDP 8038

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

cisk wrote: »
    Block p2p port numbers, not fammiliar with that router, but it should have port blocking function.

Here are some p2p default ports,
    Kazaa, Grokster, Morpheous 
    TCP 1214
    UDP 1214

eDonkey
    TCP 4661-4672
    UDP 4661-4672

WinMX & Napster
    TCP 6257
    UDP 6257
    TCP 6699
    UDP 6699

BitTorrent
    TCP 6881-6889
    UDP 6881-6889

Gnutella (Bearshare, Limewire)
    TCP 6346, 6347, 6348
    UDP 6346, 6347, 6348

Napster
    TCP 4444, 5555, 6666, 7777, 8888
    UDP 4444, 5555, 6666, 7777, 8888

Share Direct
    TCP 2705
    UDP 2705

Grouper 
    TCP 8038
    UDP 8038

Looks like the most sensible option, considering the computer is her laptop and I can't really take away her administrative powers.

The only thing is about the above method, doesn't limewire jump around looking for ports if one is blocked?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

The easiest thing is to just block her MAC address off the network entirely. And ask your parents or billpayer to explain to her what is and isn't allowed on the network.

The easiest thing is to just block her MAC address off the network entirely. And ask your parents or billpayer to explain to her what is and isn't allowed on the network.

She doesn't have any consideration for anyone, I could go down that route but she would have it installed the following evening again, and I have no way of checking it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Here is an example of the type of third party software that can be used besides other measures stated above: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Security/Lockdown/Install-Block.shtml

20 Dollars - problem solved in the above case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Or this?

http://www.applicationblocker.com/feature.html

Actually googling you'll find a f*ckton of applications like this....There should be an opensource alternative!.....Now if only I can find one.

chin_grin wrote: »
    Or this?

http://www.applicationblocker.com/feature.html

Actually googling you'll find a f*ckton of applications like this....There should be an opensource alternative!.....Now if only I can find one.

I have no morals, don't worry about it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

If she uses P2P websites to find the torrents and then Limewire just to download the actual files, then OpenDNS is very effective as it can be set to block access to the P2P websites themselves. If she uses the search function within the P2P applicarion itself then this method mightn't be so effective.

bhickey wrote: »
    If she uses P2P websites to find the torrents and then Limewire just to download the actual files, then OpenDNS is very effective as it can be set to block access to the P2P websites themselves. If she uses the search function within the P2P applicarion itself then this method mightn't be so effective.

Shes just lasy, I've no objection to her using rapidshare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,237 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

why Limewire though? Terrible program.

You can always enable QoS controls on her computer at the Router level and give her MAC address far less bandwidth/bandwidth priority than any other MAC address/Computer in the house.

Overheal wrote: »
    why Limewire though? Terrible program.

You can always enable QoS controls on her computer at the Router level and give her MAC address far less bandwidth/bandwidth priority than any other MAC address/Computer in the house.

Router doesn't support QoS ;[

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,237 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

what kind of router is it? Usually you can install an open source firmware into a router to get it to.

Overheal wrote: »
    what kind of router is it? Usually you can install an open source firmware into a router to get it to.

It's a BT Voyager 2110.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Kevin! wrote: »
    It's a BT Voyager 2110.

If you want to do anything router-based then you'll be needing a new router. Legend has it that routers with the DD-WRT firmware can do what you want but I'm not convinced. Personally I've had good results with the Mikrotik routers (e.g. the RB750) which you can get from Wireless Connect or Wi-Pipe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

can you not just create a firewall rule to block limewire from having any internet access at all, and add dodgysite.com in your hosts file?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 thisistimowen

From the data above block the port, limewire does not jump around unless she goes in and tells limewire to go through a different port. (which she probably will do) I had the same trouble, in the end every time huge streaming happened I just blocked them via mac address until they got the message.

Advertisement