Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do u train?

• 30-06-2010 2:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

What attracted you to training?

Why did you start?

I suppose for me initially it was basically that I wanted to learn how to defend myself mixed with the fact it would help me get fit.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Plastikman_eire

Loved watching the sport, and wanted to gain a better understanding of what was happening in the cage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭bjj-fighter

Was mad into WWE when I was a young kid,then I found out about MMA when I was around 10 or 11 and became really into the sport along with my older brother. I then found out just after my 13th birthday and my brother's friend trained in MMA so he refered me to a club (SBG). It was always my ambition since I was a kid to be a top fighter and coach. And now I'm not doing too bad at the age of 17 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

Loved watching the sport, and wanted to gain a better understanding of what was happening in the cage.
    this, i dont wanna be a couch fighter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭MMAIRELAND.ORG

Went to my first class when i was 19 thinking that i was a big enough fella that had been in a few street fights and i had seen the UFC so i was going to throw these "Martial Artists" around the place....Walked away from that session with a bloody nose and mouth, physically exhuasted with my male pride in tatters.... i never looked at fighting the same way again and have never left the gym since.

In my opinion the biggest benefit of training in any kind of sport is Dedication and discipline. I was a lazy git before i started. Now I train at 6am three mornings a week and 8.30 pm almost every night (When im not injured) and like most of the people on this forum work around 3 jobs.

MMA saved me from a life of sitting on the sofa drinking beer every night of the week and wasting not only my youth but any speck of talent that i have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Shazbot

Like Plastikman_Eire, I loved watching the sport and was interested in learning the finer details of it. Combine that with the fact that i was looking for something to keep me fit since i stopped playing rugby and i was on to a winning formula.

I'm still as dedicated and interested in the sport since i started training (only a year) and I don't think that will ever fade away.

Nice topic of discussion. It's a welcome break from the usual topics on events and fighters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Played rugby until I was 18. When I was 18 I tore my ACL PCL and miniscus very bad. From that the doctor told me hes gonna work on gettin me walking again without limping and any high impact sports were all out. I was rehabing my leg after the surgery which leaves you in worse pain than the actual injury.
    When I was injured I started watching Amature wrestling. When I was 20 the physio and doctor finally cleared me to go back to rugby but my heart wasnt in it anymore. That september I tried to find the wrestling club in UCD but they hadnt set up this year so I joined judo and was recomended by a couple of the judo team that if it was wrestling i was more intrested in I should try out the mma club.
    Checked out mma on the internet and was pretty instantly hooked. a week short of 4 years from the original injury i made my debut in the cage earlier this year and won. Im fighting in the next Rumble in Rush and plan on winning again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭MarkFairman

You mean we dont have too ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Done Judo when I was young and kept thinking this would be better if I could hit too.
    Done kickboxing as a teenager and kept thinking I wish I could use my old this.
    Kinda natural evolution(although the majority of my judo is long forgotten :o) plus Ive been a pretty big fan for years anyway.Just wouldnt get off my arse till early last year.

Plus im stupidly competitive.Although thats died a bit recently :(
    Really need to get it back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Just to see how far i can push myself,and the love of competion.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭kid chaos

too see what kind of person it takes to stop me in my tracks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

Got screwed over with TMA since I was 12, made the change at 16 to BJJ, 19 now and its going great:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭EnjoyChoke

To SMASH!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

Fun! and great fitness training with the added benefit of learning skills that can be used in the ring/cage!

Same with Boxing, loved the competitive nature and the 1 on 1 challenge.

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭mmaireland.com

Started for self defense; still do it because I love challenging myself. I've found nothing on the planet that challenges so many aspects of myself in a single activity.

makes me feel better and look better i hope

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭youllneverknow

i train because i love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

Because I don't want be him :D

internet-warrior.jpg

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I've just returned to training Muay Thai but this time is different to when I last trained in Kempo. Before, it was a good way to manage anger, but I'm 40 now and most of that rage has been tamed and directed. I train now because I want to be fitter to achieve more in my life including returning to a reasonable level of snowboarding (believe it or not!).

I've been toying with the idea of throwing in some BJJ for ground skills but lets get past a few lessons first.

I looked at Chuck Liddell and thought "he's the same age as me" :(

DeV.

Advertisement