Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do I need a visa for a job interview in USA

Options
  • 30-06-2010 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi all,

I am going to the US for a job interview and I am wondering if I need a visa for that or if it is OK to go on the VWP? I will not be getting paid, I have a return ticket and I will only be there for 3 days.

What should I say at US immigration when they ask me the reason for my trip? I lived in the US for 5 years and returned to Ireland earlier this year. Since then I have been to the US twice this year to visit friends. They always ask me why I have been over and back so often so I am expecting a few questions. Should I say job interview or just business trip?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

You don't need a visa for a job interview, the rule of thumb with immigration is 'don't volunteer information but don't lie'. If they ask specifically tell them you are going for a job interview, if you are working in Ireland it might be a good idea to get a letter from HR confirming the dates of your holidays and when you are expected to return to work - again don't volunteer this but have it in case they get antsy. Some people recommend that you also shouldn't sign a job contract while in the US on the VWP - you can always sign + scan + email once you return to Ireland if you get the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Good answer by lonestar girl.- never lie, but do not volunteer info
    Are you doing anything else while there? Maybe visit the Empire State or something? If so, say that. Or just say you are going on a "city break".

• Registered Users Posts: 37 thezapper

Thank you both for your responses. You've pretty much confirmed what I was thinking myself. I'd like to avoid using the words "job interview" if at all possible as I think it could cause trouble. I will be giving a presentation as part of the interview process so I think I'll say I'm going on a business trip and to give a presentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

as the other posters have said......yes it is legal to go for job interviews while on a holiday visa.......no, do not volunteer that information but don't lie if you are asked......DEFINITELY bring evidence linking you to ireland that clearly supports the fact that you will be returning as scheduled.

Advertisement