Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can women hold their alcohol better than men?

• 30-06-2010 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭

I know some women, fierce women, like mythical beasts who plague the heroes journey in Greek stories of old, women with He-Man-esque thighs that should be used soley for farming, women with hands like shovels, with an intense smell of cabbage and a look in their eyes like they have danced with the devil, drank his rich nectar on the scorching cliffs of hell and survived to tell their tale... these women could drink, they would drink their own mother if they could, but these women come far and few. Now mostly what you see out on the streets are little girls taking a few sips of their 0.5% mr freeze pops and being carried to the toilet pods so they can get sick out of both ends with aid from their Quasimodo lookin friend.

Us lads aren't anything special either, with our borderline-dyke style cheque shirts, jeans that look like they belong to dakota fanning drinking 'lite' beer from a bottle and after 1 and a half of them we start a hissy fit cause the dj wouldn't play Canadian artist Bryan Adams song Summer of '69 for you and the boys.

So do women hold up to men on nights out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Some can, some cant!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,844 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

them we start a hissy fit cause the dj wouldn't play Canadian artist Bryan Adams song Summer of '69 for you and the boys.

It sounds to me, like you go to crap bars buddy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Depends on the woman tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

No, they can't. Don't be ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

Men are most likely to start fighting if too much drink has been consumed.

Women are most likely to start crying for no reason whatsoever.

So the question you should ask is: WOuld you prefer a broken nose or a tear & snot soaked shoulder?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'd say fat chicks can hold their gargle better than small men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I know some women, fierce women, like mythical beasts who plague the heroes journey in Greek stories of old, women with He-Man-esque thighs that should be used soley for farming, women with hands like shovels, with an intense smell of cabbage and a look in their eyes like they have danced with the devil, drank his rich nectar on the scorching cliffs of hell and survived to tell their tale...

Us lads aren't anything special either, with our borderline-dyke style cheque shirts, jeans that look like they belong to dakota fanning drinking 'lite' beer from a bottle and after 1 and a half of them we start a hissy fit cause the dj wouldn't play Canadian artist Bryan Adams song Summer of '69 for you and the boys.

I read this & thought... WFT? Then I looked at the OP's location. It says "Kerry". My bemusement ended there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

No, women are inferior.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

so do you think its a case of body mass?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Opening post needs liposuction.

/as does my ma, my bird etc. I know

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

So you think she can hold her drink as well as he can?

Although this seems unfair girls, and you might believe that this is a male conspiracy theory - or worse still, a challenge, women build up a higher concentration of alcohol in their blood having drunk the same amount as a man.

Even if a women is taller or bigger than a man, ladies have proportionally less body water than men so the concentration of alcohol in their blood stream is proportionally higher - simply illustrated, if a woman weighing 60 kilograms drinks a double gin then a man of the same size will need to drink a triple gin in order to reach the same blood alcohol level.
    There is also some evidence that women may breakdown (metabolise) alcohol slightly differently. An enzyme called ADH helps break down alcohol in the liver and in the lining of the stomach; and studies show that ADH levels are lower in women and that this might also account for higher blood alcohol levels.

http://drinkaware.ie/index.php?sid=11&pid=192

TBH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

It's all in the experience. n00bs with alcohol always go too far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

No way, jose!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I wouldn't say women can hold drink better it's just I don't like the way the pint makes my hand cold so it's better for me if they hold it and feed it to me as needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

They can hold their kebabs better too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

bonerm wrote: »
    They can hold their kebabs better too.

No they can't - their fingers are too small.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Banned Account

If, by alcohol you mean spirits, beer and wine - then no, not really I'd say its 50:50

If, on the other, by alcohol, you mean my penis then yes, yes they can - even if she's doing it wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

One of my mates [female] is a total mong and has a tendancy to leak a lot when she consumes too much...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

If, on the other, by alcohol, you mean my penis then yes, yes they can - even if she's doing it wrong.

I should of changed the title to can women hold Fitzcaraldo's penis with tweezer type equipment?

Computer says yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

Loopy wrote: »
    One of my mates [female] is a total mong and has a tendancy to leak a lot when she consumes too much...

And how would this be relevant? Nice of you to notice though.

• Advertisement

I should of changed the title to can women hold Fitzcaraldo's penis with tweezer type equipment?

Computer says yes.

I take it you are well versed in the art of plucking large marine mammals - I salute your unique talent;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 thisistimowen

As in cries?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Depends how big their hands are, smaller makes it harder but is more flattering for the men folk in certain situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭NoHornJan

Of course they can. Women have two extra tanks that men don't and they can store a lot more liquid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

easyeason3 wrote: »
    Men are most likely to start fighting if too much drink has been consumed.

Well most of my friends prefer a bag of chips when boozed up.

Have encountered a lot of girls that bragged about how much booze they can hold, they're normally the ones having their hair held back by their friends at the end of the night.

Drinking comes down to three main things:

1. the size of the drinker
    2. what you've had to eat beforehand (ie soakage)
    3. tolerance to alcohol
    The sex of the drinker is irrelevant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

And so the circle of life continues...:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

According to this instructional documentation, I recon they can hold it quite well...

http://media.photobucket.com/image/Wife%20carrying%20beer/ZHANGFEI4/WifeCarryingBeer.jpg

Remember.. bend with the knee's, not with the back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

It sounds to me, like you go to crap bars buddy!

Yeeeeeeeaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

From what I remember, part of the reason is because men have a higher water content than women (women have a higher fat content), so the alcohol is more "diluted" so to speak.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭xxchloexx

Im possibly the worst drinker ever! if i have 3 bottles im tipsy and by 5 im actually pissed. I dont no why im so bad my friends think its halerious! suppose it doesn't cost me much on a night out :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

what? :confused::confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 cazzycaz

lol:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

xxchloexx wrote: »
    Im possibly the worst drinker ever! if i have 3 bottles im tipsy and by 5 im actually pissed. I dont no why im so bad my friends think its halerious! suppose it doesn't cost me much on a night out :rolleyes:

Just your dignity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

bonerm wrote: »
    Just your dignity.

im a virgin ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

im a virgin ;)

he means pride i think? :p

im a virgin ;)

Surely No! A 'five bottle virgin'? I thought you were the stuff of legend - sweet baby jebus thank you.

Surely No! A 'five bottle virgin'? I thought you were the stuff of legend - sweet baby jebus thank you.

I kid you not ;) although give me some sambuka and that could all change :p i joke i joke

• Advertisement

I kid you not ;) although give me some sambuka and that could all change :p i joke i joke

Damn - I knew it was too good to be true - now you're just a sambucca guzzling 'five bottle jezebel' - they're a dime a dozen:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 cazzycaz

Yes!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭ORLY?

TheZohan wrote: »
    Well most of my friends prefer a bag of chips when boozed up.

Have encountered a lot of girls that bragged about how much booze they can hold, they're normally the ones having their hair held back by their friends at the end of the night.

Drinking comes down to three main things:

1. the size of the drinker
    2. what you've had to eat beforehand (ie soakage)
    3. tolerance to alcohol
    The sex of the drinker is irrelevant.

Your last sentence doesn't make sense because 1 and 3 are functions of the sex of the drinker.

Women have a lower tolerance for alcohol than men. This is not to say that every woman has a lower tolerance than any man - one's perosonal alcohol tolerance is largely based on the genetics that decide upon one's complement of liver enzymes. For example, there are obvious racial variances, caucasians are more tolerant of alcohol than most people of far eastern origin etc. There are several theories on the exact reasons why the variance between the sexes is seen, it's probably a bit of all of them. The higher water content of men diluting the alcohol, inherent differences in enzyme activity, smaller livers in women, meaning less hepatocytes thus less alcohol dehydrogenase, variations in dehydrogenase in the stomach etc.

Bottom line is that if one looks at the recommended weekly alcohol intake, it's 21 units for men and 14 for women.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Burkatron

ORLY? wrote: »
    Your last sentence doesn't make sense because 1 and 3 are functions of the sex of the drinker.

Women have a lower tolerance for alcohol than men. This is not to say that every woman has a lower tolerance than any man - one's perosonal alcohol tolerance is largely based on the genetics that decide upon one's complement of liver enzymes. For example, there are obvious racial variances, caucasians are more tolerant of alcohol than most people of far eastern origin etc. There are several theories on the exact reasons why the variance between the sexes is seen, it's probably a bit of all of them. The higher water content of men diluting the alcohol, inherent differences in enzyme activity, smaller livers in women, meaning less hepatocytes thus less alcohol dehydrogenase, variations in dehydrogenase in the stomach etc.

Bottom line is that if one looks at the recommended weekly alcohol intake, it's 21 units for men and 14 for women.

Proof that fact is way less interesting then the ****e people spout on boards!!! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭cazzzzz

Computer says yes.

HAHAHAHA

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭ICE HOUSE

50/ 50 to be fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭cruiser178

im so embarrassed for ya,ya sap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

they can in their bollix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

5 bottles of spirits isn't to bad for a girl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

This woman can't :o

*blushes at (lack of) memory from saturday night*

• Advertisement
Advertisement