Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career in Pensions & Finance

Options
  • 30-06-2010 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi All

I have just completed the 2nd of a 4 stage interview process for a role in a pensions company dealing predominantly with public service employees. The hiring managers are throwing huge potential earning figures at me. In fairness they say it will be at least 2 years before I start to make the big money they are speaking about.

I would be coming to the role from a non-financial background but, if successful, the company will pay for me to study for a QFA diploma.

I am wondering in light of the recent pension levy on public sector workers, pay freezes etc am I being 'sold' this role or is there indeed a potential for large earnings in the industry.

Anyone working in financial sales who could give me a heads up?

Appreciate it.

le Blanc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

leblanc wrote: »
    Hi All

I have just completed the 2nd of a 4 stage interview process for a role in a pensions company dealing predominantly with public service employees. The hiring managers are throwing huge potential earning figures at me. In fairness they say it will be at least 2 years before I start to make the big money they are speaking about.

I would be coming to the role from a non-financial background but, if successful, the company will pay for me to study for a QFA diploma.

I am wondering in light of the recent pension levy on public sector workers, pay freezes etc am I being 'sold' this role or is there indeed a potential for large earnings in the industry.

Anyone working in financial sales who could give me a heads up?

Appreciate it.

le Blanc
    like all industrys its pretty tought in financial services at the moment , bigest questions would be is this commision based , is their a basic salary ,is it a well known company , are you self employed , employed etc , figures get bandied around in this industry take it with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭leblanc

There is a small basic salary. The company is well established. I appreciate that any sales role will be tough now~a~days but I dont want to be in a situation where Im beating my head against the wall for SFA commission.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

leblanc wrote: »
    There is a small basic salary. The company is well established. I appreciate that any sales role will be tough now~a~days but I dont want to be in a situation where Im beating my head against the wall for SFA commission.

i worked in industry in USA and here am retired now . i found some of companies here to be less than honest in their recruitment practices . remember public service top ups avcs , company pensions are probably the only lucrative area left in pensions here ,{ personal pensions are at around 10%commission} so their is lot of competition for a dimenshing pool and lots of individuals and companys undercutting to get the buisness . their is also the clawback procedure which means commission paid can be taken back if another company pinchs your client inside 2 years , that said you can make a very decent living in it if you work at it .

Advertisement