Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First DSLR

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭leche solara

I'm a Canon person so have no opinion on that particular camera. I wouldn't buy from Littlewoods though. Get a few more prices. For instance Pixmania (http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/3381534/art/nikon/d3000-af-s-dx-vr-nikkor-1.html) have it for €406, and you could probably do even better than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

It's the base model from Nikon. It will take a nice picture. I would say it a good first SLR.

That is a bad price though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭greeneyedspirit

+1 for the Nikon D3000 - you can get it on Amazon for about 410 Euros at the moment, including the kit lens.
    I've played with one a bit, it's a lovely little camera, great to start out with, and easy enough to get to grips with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Lobster wrote: »
    My budget is tight, around 600 euro.

€419.99 from your nearest Argos.
    What do you think?

Thanks

I think it's a nice camera, but if you have a budget of €600,
    there are a few better cameras available. The Nikon D5000
    and Canon 450D are both worth considering. Pentax, Olympus
    and Sony also have good models around this price range.

Remember to consider the cost of a memory card, a good
    camera bag and a tripod if you don't have one already.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think i've seen the olympus E420 for about €400 in dublin city centre - would either have been conns or camera exchange, i reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

E420 can be got dirt cheap from some online stores, pocket change cheap (€200)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Are you going with Littlewoods because you can do higher-purchase? That would explain their stupid prices. But I would stay well away from them too. Check your local Currys, I've seen the D3000 in there for around €420 with VR kit lens. If my Sony packs in I'll be looking to something like that myself.

If you have the €600 available, go for the D5000 - You will find them for less than 600 with the kit lens also.

Just checked Argos online: €420 for the D3000, for another €12 you can get a 4GB card with it. Use the rest of your funds to buy a nice 50mm lens maybe.

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=30001&catalogId=1500002201&langId=-1&searchTerms=D3000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

higher-purchase?

I don't know if that was intentional cagey, but it certainly sums up the Littlewoods price. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

hehe, it was actually half-intentional. I just got a bit muddled up, I mean, who does hire-purchase these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭Lobster

Thanks Guys,
    I was more concerned about choosing a suitable camera for myself being new to DSLRs. I have been checking out a few sites and seen better deals. I'll try a few shops when I get a chance, hopefully I'll get something at the end of the month. Btw, what are the Sony cameras like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

The Nikon D5000 is within your budget, and IMHO would be the best buy (of any manufacturer), in that price range.

Advertisement