Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

8spd Triple to Double???

• 30-06-2010 2:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭

This may possibly be a stupid question.

I have a Giant SCR3 W.

I have it a year now, so it's coming to the point where things are needing to be replaced.

I noticed that some of the teeth on my big ring are incredibly worn.

It still has all the standard parts on it, including the triple. (50/39/30) Which is of no use to me anymore, and incredibly embarrassing to race on!!

So my question is...Do I

1. Just replace the big ring? If so, how do I go about this? What is the replacement I should buy?

2. Can I upgrade to a double or compact? How much effort is this? Is it worth it? Will this cause a problem for the shifters I have etc.?

Any help/advice much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭lyders

bump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

lyders wrote: »
    This may possibly be a stupid question.

I have a Giant SCR3 W.

I have it a year now, so it's coming to the point where things are needing to be replaced.

I noticed that some of the teeth on my big ring are incredibly worn.

It still has all the standard parts on it, including the triple. (50/39/30) Which is of no use to me anymore, and incredibly embarrassing to race on!!

So my question is...Do I

1. Just replace the big ring? If so, how do I go about this? What is the replacement I should buy?

2. Can I upgrade to a double or compact? How much effort is this? Is it worth it? Will this cause a problem for the shifters I have etc.?

Any help/advice much appreciated!

AFAIK you can change from a triple to a compact, but you may have to change your front shifter for a "double" shifter, as the one you have at the moment is specifically set for a triple chainset. Cheapest option would be to replace the chainring.

If the teeth on the chainring are very worn, then you'll need to change the chain and possibly the rear cassette also.

Thank you for your reply. I think I would run into difficulty with my shifter and this would be quite expensive to upgrade.

07Lapierre wrote: »

If the teeth on the chainring are very worn, then you'll need to change the chain and possibly the rear cassette also.

I just put on a new chain and cassette is relatively new, so they shouldn't be in need of replacing yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

You would probably need a new rear derailleur as well, short cage for doubles and compacts, long cage for triples.

There are some good deals on 10 speed groupsets though, what's your budget lyders?? Now that you are racing you should make the move to 10 :)

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    You would probably need a new rear derailleur as well, short cage for doubles and compacts, long cage for triples.

There are some good deals on 10 speed groupsets though, what's your budget lyders?? Now that you are racing you should make the move to 10 :)

Hehe...I should really upgrade the bike...but that won't happen until next season!

No budget!! But it is my birthday soon!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

DirkVoodoo wrote: »

surely you can use a long cage on a double, i had thought the long cage was only so that it could take up more slack from the chain.

Advertisement