Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Healthy Crumble

Options
  • 30-06-2010 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭

I've got loads of rhubarb that I need to use up. I've had stewed rhubarb, rhubarb muffins and rhubarb fool. I'd liek to make rhubarb crumble but I'm looking for a way to healthy up the crumble part.

I'm hoping to adapt the following Rachel Allen recipe:

150g (5oz) plain flour
    1 tsp ground cinnamon (optional)
    75g (3oz) butter, chilled and cubed
    25g (1oz) porridge oats
    75g (3oz) soft light brown sugar

Would it be horrible if I used wholemeal flour instead of plain (or half and half)?

Any other ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Wholemeal flour is not much of an improvement on plain. I'd put more oats and things like that into it - more flapjackey type ingredients.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I use the Odlums recipe:

175g / 6oz flour
    125g / 4oz brown sugar
    125g / 4oz porridge oatflakes
    125g / 4oz butter

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

any chance of posting your recipe for rhubarb muffins?

cheers :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Wholemeal flour tastes good in a crumble, and I would agree that oats are a good addition,for health and taste and texture.

I think it is very important that you use a good quality brown sugar for crumble.
    Plain white sugar will make a very boring crumble compared to demerara,
    muscovado or another brown sugar. It is easier to reduce the amount of sugar,
    if the sugar tastes better and stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭boosh_fan

Lpfsox wrote: »
    any chance of posting your recipe for rhubarb muffins?

cheers :)

Rachel Allen again. I'll put her recipe below but I've adapted it. I stew the rhubarb first and I add it where she mixes it in finely diced rhubarb. When I put the mixture in the cases I put in some mix, add a spoon of stewed rhubarb then cover with more mixture so when you're eating teh muffin you get a yummy gooey bit in the middle .

- Rhubarb Muffins These delicious muffins work perfectly for breakfast, or as a snack at any time of day!

Makes 10 large muffins
    125g (5oz) light brown sugar
    15ml (1tb sp) sunfower oil
    1 egg
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    100ml (3 1/2 oz) buttermilk
    100g (4oz) rhubarb, finely diced
    175g (6oz) plain four
    1 level tsp baking powder
    1 level tsp bicarbonate of soda
    Pinch of salt

For the topping

25g (1oz) light Muscovado sugar

Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F), Gas mark 6. Place 10 paper muffin cases in a muffin tray.

Place the sugar, oil, egg, vanilla extract and buttermilk in a large bowl. Beat until well mixed. Add the rhubarb and mix. Sift in the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt, and stir until all the ingredients are mixed. Do not over-stir.

Fill the muffin cases three-quarters full with batter. Leave to chill and sprinkle the Muscovado sugar on top of the batter in each muffin case.

Bake in the oven on the centre shelf for 18-20 minutes until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Change out some of the flour for Semolina.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭maryxyz

Why not use oil instead of butter ?

And perhaps honey instead of sugar

And add some orange zest to the crumble - goes really well with rhubarb

Maryxyz

Advertisement