Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fairy liquid anti greenfly solution turning leaves yellow?

Options
  • 30-06-2010 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭

Anyone else have experience on this? ive noticed that when i do spray the plants the leaves often turn a yellow-ish colour the day later. Am i hurting the leaves?

Ive been spraying daily with this since my garden is crawling with greenfly. Should i reduce this to every 2 or 3 days?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Hells Belle

hi hello,
    My rose bush went all yellow last year when I put diluted washing up liquid on it - the greenfly didn't seem to bothered by it though, any that did die stuck to the roses and went black and then the roses went mouldy. I didn't do it every day - that does seem excessive. You could try diluting it more and spacing out the time but tbh that didn't help me at all. I also tried hosing them with a squirty bottle which ruined the last few roses.

So looking for another organic solution, the guy off Gardeners World said just to go out and squash them with your fingers, uuggh I know, tried it with gloves on and its working out great for me. Its actually quite satisfying after you get over the yuck factor. Ive done it on my strawberries & clematis and they are thriving. I've also read that shiny things repel them, like strips of tin foil - I've yet to try it though.
    Best of luck with the little rotters! :)
    HB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭hello932

hi hello,
    My rose bush went all yellow last year when I put diluted washing up liquid on it - the greenfly didn't seem to bothered by it though, any that did die stuck to the roses and went black and then the roses went mouldy. I didn't do it every day - that does seem excessive. You could try diluting it more and spacing out the time but tbh that didn't help me at all. I also tried hosing them with a squirty bottle which ruined the last few roses.

So looking for another organic solution, the guy off Gardeners World said just to go out and squash them with your fingers, uuggh I know, tried it with gloves on and its working out great for me. Its actually quite satisfying after you get over the yuck factor. Ive done it on my strawberries & clematis and they are thriving. I've also read that shiny things repel them, like strips of tin foil - I've yet to try it though.
    Best of luck with the little rotters! :)
    HB

my guess is that there some chemical in fairy liquid that leaves dont like

squashing them is what i used to do...it works when you only have a few but when you have whole families to deal with its less effective and disgusting...ruined my last pair of gloves it did

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

it is not the fairy liquid, as there is a delerict house a mile away from me, i passed it today, most of the rose leaves are yellow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I doubt very much it's the Fairy liquid that's causing the problem unless you're applying it by the gallon. Far more likely to be weather or soil related.
    Overfeeding is another possibility.

Advertisement