Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Skerries 100

Options
  • 30-06-2010 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭

I cant find much info about it on the supporters website, but can anyone tell me, from past experience, are the bikes parading through skerries on friday evening? Or do I need to go out to the circuit to catch a glimpse of em?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭Falcon Crest

It looks like they are going through Skerries because the road will be closed and there's already things being done at the moment to set it up. The road in to Skerries (from under the bridge) is closed on Friday, does anyone know how I can get in to Skerries on Friday? Coming from Swords.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

depends if you are having a drink or not.

Option 1: Drive to Rush and lusk station and hop the train to skerries
    Option 2: get the 33 bus to the station.

Driving just gets a bit messy, so much traffic, abandoned cars, bikes etc..
    the train will drop you into skerries village and you can buzz around and make your way to the races from there.

Looking forward to what will hopefully be another great day the atmosphere in the surrounding area is always great. Weather starting to look a little bad for the day though

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

weather looking mostly ok for saturday so far. gonna be wet this evening/tonight and tomorrow will be damp. Friday and saturday looking like it will be mostly dry :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

There's a Classic Bike parade on Thursday evening. Will post a link when I find it.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It looks like they are going through Skerries because the road will be closed and there's already things being done at the moment to set it up. The road in to Skerries (from under the bridge) is closed on Friday, does anyone know how I can get in to Skerries on Friday? Coming from Swords.
    The Lusk/Skerries road does not close until 3pm on Friday. After that time the road up tp the closure will probably be busy with spectators arriving and parking up. However it should be possible to take a left off the Lusk/Skerries road towards Man O'War, then taking a right to Ardgillan and down to the coast road and into Skerries. Alternatively drive to Rush and then take the coast road to Skerries. It will also be possible to take a right after the bridge going out of Skerries, up Togher Hill and through Milverton, then turning right towards Ardgillan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Slightly off topic but think it's better here than creating a new thread > Anyone going to the races?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

sNarah wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but think it's better here than creating a new thread > Anyone going to the races?
    Probably wander down to the practice sessions this evening (I live less than 100 metres from the course) - it will be keeping the kids awake anyway! Heading off to Cornwall first thing in the morning, so will miss the actual races

I'll be there for sure. well, i'll certainly be in or around skerries on saturday and maybe this evening too

I watched the Classic Parade last night - really good turnout of both spectators & bikes.
    Will be hitting Skerries tonight for a few.

• Advertisement

Really sad day, knew something was wrong, but only found out how serious when i got home.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Paulyh

i heard reports from a friend who was out there today (i couldnt make it) that theres 2 dead :(
    a rider and a marshal?
    i hope its not true, if so it is very sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Paulyh

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0703/rta.html

link to RTE article..........

Very sad, RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Sad indeed, i hope it doesnt effect the future of this event though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Sad indeed, i hope it doesnt effect the future of this event though.

Tragic news, unfortunately this is not the first death at the 100 in recent years. One can only hope that this will lead to further safety improvements in the 100's to come.

Ar deis Dé go raibh a nanaim.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Paulyh wrote: »
    i heard reports from a friend who was out there today (i couldnt make it) that theres 2 dead :(
    a rider and a marshal?
    i hope its not true, if so it is very sad.

Myself and my girlfriend were there and heard and saw it happen.
    2 bikes clipped together at speed comming down the main straight towards the 1st corner.1 bike left the course and hit a spectator.

Very sadly and tragicly the rider was killed and the spectator is in hospital with injuries.

RIP and thoughts and prayers with all involved in this tragic event and the families too.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

Sorry to hear about those two hurt.

I had great craic, and my head is paying for it this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Nodster

My condolences to the rider involved and a speedy recovery to the Marshal and spectator. A sad end to what was a cracking days racing. I have nothing but the highest praise to the Medical Crews who were on the scene within seconds, they worked so hard under the most difficult circumstances.

On a seperate note, the locally based 2 Stroke Racing Supporters Club went ahead with their fundraiser in The Coast Inn and all proceedings from the door and auction went to the riders wife - (€4,300 raised, thanks to those who attended and dug deep)

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭meolwan

Nodster wrote: »
    My condolences to the rider involved and a speedy recovery to the Marshal and spectator. A sad end to what was a cracking days racing. I have nothing but the highest praise to the Medical Crews who were on the scene within seconds, they worked so hard under the most difficult circumstances.

On a seperate note, the locally based 2 Stroke Racing Supporters Club went ahead with their fundraiser in The Coast Inn and all proceedings from the door and auction went to the riders wife - (€4,300 raised, thanks to those who attended and dug deep)

Like Nodster my condolences to the riders family and I hope that the Marshal and the spectator make a speedy recovery.

Well done to everyone involved with the Coast Inn night

Official statement on the fatal accident at the weekend's race meeting from LMSC here.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately there was another fatal crash at yesterday's Killalane racing

Report here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Deeply saddening.
    The accident happened very close to where another rider was killed 2 years ago. Ironically I was talking to a guy deeply invovled in the scene,on Fri, and he was telling me that the Killalane circuit is regarded as one of the top circuits in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭JohnNightmare

Beasty wrote: »
    Unfortunately there was another fatal crash at yesterday's Killalane racing

Report here

the day before (sat) it was a practice session for the riders and a rider came off his bike at that exact place ( its a bend in the road outside a garden) he broke his hand,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

It seems highly likely that the Skerries track will have to move but with the crash on the Killalane circuit which had a better safety record that plan must be in the air. Insurance premiums might finish the event before regulations does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Corsendonk wrote: »
    It seems highly likely that the Skerries track will have to move but with the crash on the Killalane circuit which had a better safety record that plan must be in the air. Insurance premiums might finish the event before regulations does.

There was certainly suggestions/moves/thoughts on the Skerries being moved to the Killalane circuit but as you said that may well be up in the air and with Tandragee being 'put on hold' due to similar circumstances there must be a fear now for Killalane.

Advertisement