Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clamped again

Options
  • 30-06-2010 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Peter B

Hi,

I got clamped outside my apartment last friday. I have been living there for 3 months and the clamping times were from 09:00 - 18:30 Monday - Friday.

I woke up on Friday and went to my car just before 9am to head to work. It turned out it was clamped. I looked at the signs and noticed they had been changed from '09:00-18.30' to '08:00-18.30'. I had been parking there every day and, while I'm not sure when the times had been changed, I did not notice the change in times.

My housemate was also clamped.

We had not received any correspondance of the clamping times changing.

Any help on what to do about the appeal?

Thanks

Peter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Have a discussion with your landlord or the management agent for the development.

That's about all you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Peter B

Sorry should have mentioned. The car parking spaces are on the side of a public road with the normal pay-and-display area.

SFA you can do then. It's down to your local authority, and they have no obligation to notify people in change of conditions. That's what the signs are for.

Sounds like a right pain though, if they changed the times like that.

I can't see you having any success with an appeal.

Even in a residential area?

No obligation to tell the residents? :confused:

The signs fulfil their notice obligation. They have no further obligation to notify people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Gone Fishin

Is it a Private clamping company or a Dublin City one? If it is a Dublin City one, then there is not a lot you can do and it will be enforced. If it is a Private clamping company, cut the clamp off with a bolt cutters and have the chain re welded so you can hand it back to them undamaged. It is up to the clamping company to pursue you. Once you give it back to them undamaged, there is not a court in the country that will pursue you or a Garda that will do you for criminal damage to a clamp. A Garda told me that a Private clamping company is supposed to inform you in advance that they are clamping you. You can try to appeal on the basis of the changed times but they rarely listen to anyone. I've cut off four clamps and had them rewelded and given back, not one fine paid.

Do you not have allocated parking?

Is it a Private clamping company or a Dublin City one? If it is a Dublin City one, then there is not a lot you can do and it will be enforced.

The OP stated it was on a public road, in a pay-and-display area, therefore it must be DCC clamping. So, as I said, not much can be done at all.

Is it a Private clamping company or a Dublin City one? If it is a Dublin City one, then there is not a lot you can do and it will be enforced. If it is a Private clamping company, cut the clamp off with a bolt cutters and have the chain re welded so you can hand it back to them undamaged. It is up to the clamping company to pursue you. Once you give it back to them undamaged, there is not a court in the country that will pursue you or a Garda that will do you for criminal damage to a clamp. A Garda told me that a Private clamping company is supposed to inform you in advance that they are clamping you. You can try to appeal on the basis of the changed times but they rarely listen to anyone. I've cut off four clamps and had them rewelded and given back, not one fine paid.

Unfortunately there is only 6 allocated parking spaces. Public transport (like most of Dublin) is crap in the area so we need cars.

It was a Dublin City Council clamp. I could buy a chain cutters but unfortunately don't have the equipment or experience welding. Also did you have to hand the clamp back to the clampers directly?

Seems just like another example of how the innocent people in this country are getting f*cked over.:mad:

Peter B wrote: »
    It was a Dublin City Council clamp. I could buy a chain cutters but unfortunately don't have the equipment or experience welding. Also did you have to hand the clamp back to the clampers directly?

Cutting off a DCC clamp will get you in to a whole heap of trouble. Not advisable at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Not much you can do there. You need to apply for an on-street parking permit from the Council.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Gone Fishin

If it is Public Road, its DCC, you are done - sorry. I dropped the clamp back to the office. Cost me €5 to have it welded. The Private companies operate on commission so they are totally ruthless. They clamped me outside a friends apartment block, I parked on double yellows, to bring a TV up three flights of stairs and was back down in less than 5 minutes. Also he didn't even have the clamp on when I got down, he was only finishing and wouldn't listen. I know its a job they have to do but they do it in nasty fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭jpb1974

I parked on double yellows

There's no mercy when it comes to double yellow lines.

Unfortunately they don't mean "you can park here for 5 mins". The simply mean "no parking here at any time".

You might get away with parking in a pay & display area for 5 mins on the free but not double yellow lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I doubt weldign it back together consitutes not damaged . If the fire brigade cut your car in half to move it and welded it back together, would you be happy enough that you had it back undamaged?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Stekelly wrote: »
    I doubt weldign it back together consitutes not damaged . If the fire brigade cut your car in half to move it and welded it back together, would you be happy enough that you had it back undamaged?

Agreed, welding does not put the item back as good as new,
    You've still done damaged to the item and as such they are within their rights to pursue the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭robo

OP - to avoid it happening again, you know that you can buy a parking ticket the night before for the next morning. You have to buy it though after the paid parking period in the evening, like after 6.30pm and at least if you think that you will be delayed in the morning, you are covered...I would rather pay a euro or two than the clamping fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Or just put a notice onthe car saying it has broken down, they are not allowed to clamp then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

No point on making another thread, but is it true that you have ten minutes to buy a car parking ticket? and you have a certain amount of time after the expiration?

thought I saw a leaflet in a garda station one time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Or just put a notice onthe car saying it has broken down, they are not allowed to clamp then.

That sounds very unlikely. Can you provide evidence of this clause?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

robo wrote: »
    OP - to avoid it happening again, you know that you can buy a parking ticket the night before for the next morning. You have to buy it though after the paid parking period in the evening, like after 6.30pm and at least if you think that you will be delayed in the morning, you are covered...I would rather pay a euro or two than the clamping fee.

I got stung by the opposite of that before. Went to pay for parking and put €1 into the machine, only got 10 min. Checked and it was free after 8 and I paid at 7:50:(

OP if you are doing this make sure to remove any other pay and display tickets from your dash. You're supposed to move once your time has ran out and if they see 2 tickets, for the night before and morning, they can still clamp you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

I worked for a private clamping company last yr for a few months (not proud of it) but we were gettin the Minimum wage + €5 commission on every car we clamped.. Id agree its a very ruthless job some days we'd clamp up to 30 & ud want to have no morals or heart for some of the people we were clamping the driver i was sent out with was just money mad , :mad:

Just be careful where you park guys the clampers are usually waiting in ambush especially NCPS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Del2005 wrote: »
    I got stung by the opposite of that before. Went to pay for parking and put €1 into the machine, only got 10 min. Checked and it was free after 8 and I paid at 7:50:(
    Usually whatever minutes are left over transfer to the next period of pay and display. E.g. if you got 20 minutes for that 1 euro the end date and time should have been the next day 10 minutes after the p&d starts again.

robo wrote: »

There's usually a max of 3 hours or something you can buy...?

Advertisement