Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[COMPETITION] Win one of five Family Adventure Breaks in Ireland

Options
  • 30-06-2010 3:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭

Hey there

We've got a really good competition in from the lovely people at Discover Ireland.

The%20Fun%20Starts%20Here%20strapline%20brown%20pos_DI.jpg

You could win one of five Family Adventure Breaks in Ireland including 2 night's B&B for 2 adults and 2 children.

Here's the details from them:

You can’t get any closer to a real holiday than an Irish home Bed & Breakfast, and staying in one of Ireland’s classified B&B’s is the perfect way to enjoy a family holiday this summer!

An Irish Home B&B gets you closer to the action, whether it’s an outdoor adventure break off the West Coast of Ireland, a spot of fishing in the Shannon Region, or a family hike in the North West, staying at an Irish Home B&B at the heart of it all in the town centre or enjoying the best of the country side can make a holiday to remember. And because every B&B is unique, you’re guaranteed that your holiday will be too!

Irish Home B&B’s are now classified up to a 5 star rating, and to celebrate we have five fantastic family adventure breaks to give away. All prizes are 2 night's B&B, for two adults and two children, along with special extras…

You can choose from one of the following:
    1. Eagles Nest B&B, Co. Donegal

Relax in this newly built, but traditional cottage style Bed and Breakfast, which is located in Lettermacaward, Co. Donegal with spectacular views to Gweebarra Bay.

This peaceful setting is an ideal location for fishing, climbing, walking, canoeing, horse riding, golf and more.

This fantastic prize also includes a guided tour of Slieve League for the whole family to enjoy.

2. Quignalegan B&B Ballina, Co. Mayo

This modern B&B is located in scenic Ballina on the banks of the River Moy. The unspoilt natural landscape makes for the perfect destination for a family get away.

This fantastic prize also includes family surf lessons for the whole family to enjoy.
    3. Shelmalier House, Athlone, Co. Westmeath

– Located in the heart of Ireland and on the banks of the River Shannon, this prize gives the whole family the chance to spend a break in a bustling town with plenty of shops and restaurants. Check out Athlone Castle, or Sean’s Bar, Ireland’s oldest pub.

This amazing prize also includes a two hour boat trip on the Shannon with Motor Cruiser Lady Sarah and complimentary lunch at the Slice of Life restaurant.
    4. Leim Siar, Belmullet, Co. Mayo

This beautiful house is located on the tip of the Mullet Peninsula and offers a plethora of exciting activities for the whole family to enjoy, including; golfing, fishing, scenic walking and excellent wind surfing and surfing on the many local beaches.

This fantastic prize includes complimentary bike hire.
    5. Rocksberry B&B,Castlebar, Co. Mayo

– This modern family home is an ideal location for touring Westport and Achill. Visitors to Rocksberry can enjoy a wide variety of activities in the locality including cycling, golf, sailing, watersports as well as visiting the islands in scenic ClewBay.

The family can enjoy a day’s fishing on the nearby lake as part of their prize and while away the hours in peace and tranquillity!

All you have to do to be in with a chance of winning is post below which holiday you'd like and why!
    The more details you give us on why you'd like to bring your family away for this break, the higher your chance of winning.

The competition is open to all members of Boards.ie and the winner will be chosen on July 9. Judge's decision is final. No correspondence will be entered into, no cash alternative is available and so on...

Think it's a good competition prize by the way? Let me know - thank the post if you do. It will help us decide what competition prizes you'd like on site :)

Good luck!

Darragh

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I would love to take my family on one of those trips as there is some much of the country which they have not seen and explored yet and I think it is important that they do so.

I would pick Rocksberry B&B,Castlebar, Co. Mayo as my kids haven't see that Atlantic Ocean yet and
    my grandmother was from Mayo and it's good to let them get a sense of where family is from.

There are so many places with wonders and of historic note all around the country and it's much easier to holiday here, everyone should try be a tourist at home and see what they can discover.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭magicray

I would choose to go to this one :

This beautiful house is located on the tip of the Mullet Peninsula and offers a plethora of exciting activities for the whole family to enjoy, including; golfing, fishing, scenic walking and excellent wind surfing and surfing on the many local beaches.

This fantastic prize includes complimentary bike hire.

I would pick this one because my children are in a Gaelscoil and its in a Gaelteacht area, during the summer I really encourage them to continue to speak as gaeilge but the only time they do is when they dont want me to know what they are up to :p my gaeilge wouldnt be the best :o

Also believe it or not we have never taken holidays in Mayo so would love the chance to visit

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

Personally I'd have to choose number 2 - Quignalegan B&B Ballina, Co. Mayo as it is a county we have yet to explore and the fact that it has fantastic scenery and locations such as Croagh Patrick and the Knock Shrine. I love photography and photographing Irish locations is one of my favourite past-times. I run several websites in my signature (Fotoireland.com & Onlinekilkenny.com) which are dedicated to promoting Ireland and Kilkenny. These sites are non-profit and all done on my spare time with the help of my family and friends.

All my family have our own cameras and all have a large interest in exploring and adventuring and would love to get away for a few days to explore and create memories that we can share with others.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I never thought of Athlone as a holiday destination so it would be nice to experience it as somewhere more then a place to drive past or change trains in.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭25

I would choose to go here

Relax in this newly built, but traditional cottage style Bed and Breakfast, which is located in Lettermacaward, Co. Donegal with spectacular views to Gweebarra Bay.

I was in donegal once before in my life and ill never forget it.
    The people are really friendly and everyone waves from their cars even to outsiders.
    I would love to go back sometime soon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭redbeast

I'd like to take my family to 1. Eagles Nest B&B, Co. Donegal
    as Donegal is the only county in Ireland I have yet to explore. My parents took great pride in bringing myself and my siblings to a different county for holidays and breaks as we grew up. I continued this exploration of Ireland through my adult life, as it instilled a great love of the countryside and the variety I have right at my doorstep.

I would like to continue this tradition with my niece and nephew, and bring them somewhere new each year. Where better to start than at my own journey's end!

Great comp Darragh!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I'd choose Donegal as I've never been.

I'm originally from Athlone and living in Mayo so the others wouldn't be much of a break away :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

Leim Siar, Belmullet, Co. Mayo

Because I want to show my family how much fun surfing is :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

– This modern family home is an ideal location for touring Westport and Achill. Visitors to Rocksberry can enjoy a wide variety of activities in the locality including cycling, golf, sailing, watersports as well as visiting the islands in scenic ClewBay.

The family can enjoy a day’s fishing on the nearby lake as part of their prize and while away the hours in peace and tranquillity!

I'd choose this fantastic location, as my grandparents were originally from Mayo, and I would love to show the other half were my roots are! My grandfather was a stonemason and built a lot of very visible landmarks in Westport, something that fills me with immense pride any time I've been there. A two day break would present the perfect opportunity to trek around the county, see Westport, climb Croagh Patrick (It would be my third time; straight into Heaven I go ;) ) journey out to Achill Island, visit the Céide fields, and return to my grandmothers old home outside Mulranny to take in the magnificent view of Clew bay. I've never brought Meghan to see the place, and as a fine art painter, I'm sure it is somewhere she would find plenty of inspiration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

We would love to go to Leim Siar , Co Mayo.

OMG, my wee man loooooooooves the beach - the first time we took him his eyes just lit up at the sight of the sea, he sprinted the length of the beach (he's a speedy wee fella) & dived in under the waves head-first and we had to dive in after him...this was the result:

100_0646-1.jpg

How could you resist that wee face! :pac:

I also now have a looooooooong summer holidays with two kids who want to be amused and my other-half is heading to Saudi because that's where the work is. :(

A holiday at the beach would be just fantastic & we've never been to Mayo so it would be fab to get away for a couple of days and have some fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ghosttown

Great Comp.
    I'd choose
    1. Eagles Nest.
    Our boys are too small for bikes or fishing (yet !), and this looks like a beautiful breakaway to relax and unwind. Our little boy just wants to walk on a beach again !!

Ghost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭collegemum

I would choose the above if i had to choose any. A nice break with the family to relax and the option of being near the hussle and bussle just sounds like the perfect holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

I would choose

This peaceful setting is an ideal location for fishing, climbing, walking, canoeing, horse riding, golf and more.

This fantastic prize also includes a guided tour of Slieve League for the whole family to enjoy.

My boys have never been to Donegal and love climbing and canoeing. Also I'm a sucker for a nice Donegal accent, even though my husband usually can't understand it :o

CC

• Registered Users Posts: 8 martinviper

I would love to go here:

Why?

As I've never been there before and I know if would be ideal gift to my wife (she will turn 27 at 27th of July and 3 year since we got married).

We haven't travelled much across Ireland and we would be expecting another baby next year.

This would be only chance for us this year to go and use this lovely time on our own.

What is more important our 2 year old daughter will get familiar with Ireland and all those nice people.

We would really like to go anywhere in Ireland and we know that DiscoverIreland can make our dreams come true :)

Best of luck to rest of you taking part of this competition :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 geraldino

Darragh wrote: »
    Hey there

We've got a really good competition in from the lovely people at Discover Ireland.

The%20Fun%20Starts%20Here%20strapline%20brown%20pos_DI.jpg

You could win one of five Family Adventure Breaks in Ireland including 2 night's B&B for 2 adults and 2 children.

Here's the details from them:

All you have to do to be in with a chance of winning is post below which holiday you'd like and why! The more details you give us on why you'd like to bring your family away for this break, the higher your chance of winning.

The competition is open to all members of Boards.ie and the winner will be chosen on July 9. Judge's decision is final. No correspondence will be entered into, no cash alternative is available and so on...

Think it's a good competition prize by the way? Let me know - thank the post if you do. It will help us decide what competition prizes you'd like on site :)

Good luck!

Darragh
    I would love to bring my 2 grandchildren who live in Sweden to Liam Siar - to let them see the real, unspoilt Ireland. I'd love if they could hear Irish spoken and share our wonderful heritage with them. We always had the most wonderful holidays in a beautiful B&B where my children would be welcomed back each year, sharing lemonade and buns in the kitchen and fussing over the friendly, family dog on the kitchen couch!
    And we spent part of our honeymoon in Belmullet.
    So now you know why I want to introduce the next generation to this wonderful experience of real Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 geraldino

I would love to bring my 2 grandchildren who live in Sweden to Liam Siar to experience a beautiful Irish family holiday.
    We always loved holidaying in B&Bs over the years where my children loved the family atmosphere, fishing, playing football with the other children in the B&B, making new friends, going to Bingo in the local hall etc.
    They still talk about the fun and enjoyment, the wonderful food, lemonade and biscuits in the kitchen, playing with the family dog... Ah, I could go on and on. And we honeymooned round Ireland staying in fantastic B&Bs.
    Now you see why I must introduced my lovely grandchildren to this unique type of holiday so they can appreciate why their Dad gets so nostalgic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I would choose 1. Eagles Nest B&B, Co. Donegal
    As a child, growing up beside the Phoenix Park I loved horses. On summer days I would walk down to the stables and get stuck in helping out for the day, just to be near the horses, mucking out stables, leading the horses on walks. I developed a great respect for these magnificent animals, one which has never faded. Now my children have a huge love for horses, watching the Saddle club daily, constantly asking me questions about my favourite horse as a child, Pepsi and wondering when they can go to the stables. I think a break away in Ireland at a location as wonderful as this would be one they would remember forever. My daughter was given a list by her teacher in school to fill out, the top ten things she wants to do for summer and right up there was to go horseriding, another was to go to the beach and go swimming and I promised her she could so this would really be something special for her, getting to tick off 2 from her list during a memeorable family holiday.

With the added bonus of being by the Bay it would be a fantastic opportunity photography wise for me to catch a beautiful Irish sunrise, and you never know, my girls could even share it with me and my husband.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

I would love to bring my partner and son to Shelmalier House, holiday number 3. My son is mad about boats, constantly asking to go on one, his Daddy sails but he is too young to take on the sailing races....much to his dismay. This holiday would allow some much needed Daddy - Son bonding time, including something they both love......boats!

We went camping on Lough Derg, and drove along the shannon, but alas renting a boat was out of our budget :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17 toogood

Need a nice relaxing break to be honest,but keep putting it off if i win i will be forced to go!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

This one floats my boat I must say::p

– Located in the heart of Ireland and on the banks of the River Shannon, this prize gives the whole family the chance to spend a break in a bustling town with plenty of shops and restaurants. Check out Athlone Castle, or Sean’s Bar, Ireland’s oldest pub.

This amazing prize also includes a two hour boat trip on the Shannon with Motor Cruiser Lady Sarah and complimentary lunch at the Slice of Life restaurant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Eoineo

I would choose:

Between us we have a toddler and a tweenager. Finding activities for them both to do can be difficult. Fortunately they're both mad about the beach!

So here's my plan: I'm going to pack the boot of the car with my husband's rods & tackle (fishing of course). Buckets and spades for the toddler and binoculars for the tweenager who loves seals, whales, dolphins and watching all the wildlife.

Me? I'll be happy with a big mug of tea and a chance to brush up on my Gaeilge.

As the day comes to a close we'll tuck the baby into his buggy and go for a long walk to enjoy the fresh air. Bliss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 LMGB

I would love this one, I have 2 boys who are 7 and 5 and they would love it sounds like a great adventure, neither of them have ever been on a boat before and the castle would be great fun aswell would be great to win this.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭rainbowdrop

I would love to win the holiday in Athlone - not for myself, but for my Mother and Father, to give them a well earned break.

My Father had a kidney transplant 10 weeks ago (26th April), spent 3 weeks in hospital then, and since then they (my Mam goes to all appointments with him) have been travelling up and down to the Beaumont hospital from their home in Co Limerick 2 or 3 times a week for tests. My Dad was in hospital for Father's Day and for his birthday, but this week he was given the ALL CLEAR!!!:D His new kidney is functioning perfectly!! He can finally look forward to a new lease of life!!

We are all so happy, and would love to send them on a break somewhere but simply do not have the money. If I were to win the weekend away for them, it would mean so much and would be a fantastic surprise after all he has been through. They have not had a holiday for 5 years, since before my Dad started dialysis, and they would take my 2 children (their grandchildren) with them to enjoy some time together.

Here's hoping x

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭johnp001

I would love to bring my family to
    2. Quignalegan B&B Ballina, Co. Mayo
    All the family love the water, my daughter loves adventure sports and stood up on a surfboard for the first time last summer!
    Mayo is a beautiful part of the country with a fantastic wild landscape that I would enjoy seeing more of in the future :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

I'd love to win the one to Westmeath! I'd bring my mother and the 2 kids because my mum has been very ill for the last 6 years, nearly died at one point and now there's a lot of crap happening around the home. A break away for us and the kids would give us all a chance to chill out, have fun, forget all the stress for a little while and would pretty much make our year because I can't afford to pay for a holiday this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I would definitely pic this one.. No better place than the heart of Ireland to spend quality time with the ones who make my heart flutter.

A little bit of time out would be heaven, I can see us all laid back and relaxed cruising down the Shannon!!

My kids love a holiday.. the packing and excitement of having something to look forward to.

This would be a treat!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I would pick: 4. Leim Siar, Belmullet, Co. Mayo

I've never been to Mayo and it would be a thrill for all the family. My baby son and 5 year old daughter could run wild along the beaches to tire themselves out while later that evening myself and the missus could enjoy some local cuisine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

They all look and sound fabulous, it was a hard one to decide however I have chosen Liam Siar..reasons are Léim Siar is within walking distance of pier, pub, lighthouse & beaches....sounds delightful also would like to try and extend my Irish to more than a cupla focail...if Des Bishop can do it so can I. Recession has also biten me on the a*/~ no holidays for us this year either at home or abroad. Thanks for this post Boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

I'd love to go!! :)

I haven't been able to take the family away this year, due to the usual financial problems and a weekend away would be great for us all! We'd love to go to Shelmalier House in Athlone, I have friends there who have heard great things and we've actually never been to Athlone as a family! I'm sure the young'uns would love the boat trip too!! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭YeAh!

I would love to win the prize for the Eagles Nest B&B, Co. Donegal. The reason is I have never been to Donegal but I've heard many wonderful things about the county. Our family are really into outdoor activities so this holiday would suit us perfectly, with canoeing and horse riding. I hear the weather is great there too at the moment. Perfect for a summer weekend.

Advertisement