Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[COMPETITION] Win one of five Family Adventure Breaks in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 no panic

I holidayed in Ireland last year with my family, including my children 12 and 3. I was so taken by the breath taking views of the Donegal cliffs, my son and his friend could barely belive that this was their own country, the weather was beautiful and the beaches could give some meditration destinations a run for their money! I made a pact to try and visit every county in Ireland with my children to show them how beautiful our country is. Since then I have had another child and our ideal family break this year would be at Leim Siar, Belmullet, Co. Mayo i have visited this part of the country many years ago and fell in love with it . so fingers crossed that this city girl and her family may be in with a chance once again to experience our fantastic country side.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mad Benny

I would choose number 4 - Leim Siar, Belmullet, Co. Mayo

I met my wife in the west of Ireland and every time I go there I ask myself why I left it so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

For myself and my family it would have to be Eagles Nest B&B as we are a kayaking mad family. We have over the years gathered an assortment of cheap secondhand kayaks and Co. Donegal seems like the perfect setting to get out as a family and have an exciting adventure:)

I myself am studying botany so the idea of a guided tour around Slieve League whilst peeking in my Botany field guide sounds soooo good. It would provide me with a wonderful opportunity to expand further the botany knowledge to my children which we have started this summer in our own local forest!!!

Sending this with fingers and toes crossed:)

Picture of my 2 amateur kayakers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 cunninsu

I would love to visit Leim Siar, An Fod Dubh as it certainly does look like a haven in a county i have never visited. The fact that it's a Gaeltacht area really appeals to me as i have to keep on top of my game constantly to compete with my 6 year old daughter who is now fluent in Irish compliments of her Gaelscoil in Contai Corcaigh. I have two daughters who are indeed tearaways (as you will see from their expressions in the attachment)and the long sandy beaches and open spaces are what they need to expend their energy. Besides they can fish for crab at the pier which is one of their favourite beach hobbies. The surfing will keep my husband happy and as for me walking taking in the sea air will do me just fine. This place seems to have everything even bikes for hire. Wonderful facilities for all outdoor enthusiasts. Beidh alan athas orm on turas seo a thogaint. I told you i needed a headsup with the gaeilge! Best of luck to all entrants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Eagle's Nest B&B Donegal.

I've been all around Ireland when I was younger and Donegal was always one of my favourite places!
    My mum could really do with a break aswell,so much on her shoulders atm so I'm mostly doing this for her I suppose and she loves Donegal aswell but hasn't had a chance to go there recently.

Would love to win anyway,would be a really nice break.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 lel44

3. Shelmalier House, Athlone, Co. Westmeath
    I would choose this as my husband an eldest son are such keen photographers (ammature). I'm sure they'd be clickin away with the beautiful scenery in the lovely Co. Westmeath....:cool:

I would pick
    5. Rocksberry B&B,Castlebar, Co. Mayo

I've always wanted to go to Mayo and never quite gotten around to it. My granny had never been in her life and was always going on about getting to Mayo so we sent herself and the grandad there a few weeks ago for their 50th wedding anniversary and they absolutely loved it.

My daughter is often asking about going fishing so this would be the perfect opportunity :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

5. Rocksberry B&B,Castlebar, Co. Mayo

I would choose Rocksberry B&B,Castlebar, Co. Mayo ,If I won I would take my dad and my younger half siblings Ella and Georgia.I would choose it because I dont get to see them very often and it would be lovely to spend some quality time with them.My half siblings are only 5 and 8 and having been away with them down the country last summer to wexford it would be so nice to do it again.The prize also includes a days fishing which would be ideal as when i was little my dad would take me fishing,it would be nice to see him build the same memories with the kids as he did with me.And with his 50th coming up it would be the best suprise present ever as he is always trying to arrange for the family to get together and do something like this:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 beemaja

My family would soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo love to go there.

My 3 year old would love the trip on the shannon as much as my other half and me and I would be thrilled with a little piece and quiet, in particular the sauna and outdoor tub would really help with that.

And with so many festivals coming up (I quiet like the Eurofestival), it definetly be something new to discover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cathy01

If I could go I would choose

I suppose my reasosn for going would be that I would love a hoilday with my two girls, and husband.

Jenny (PICTURE ATTATCHED) just loves water(Flooded 3 schools to date) and a boat trip would be fun for the girls as they love seeing me green:D

my husband would love it as he would "just love to take off"...so he keep saying.He could do this , live his dream , drop everything and run but ...we would just follow him:p tag along sort of.

The site says it has a large garden, and my daughter LOVES LOVES LOVES..Woodlice.I know yackkkkkk

But she loves them, we one had to stop her sneeking them into school in her shoe.You know the clarks ones that have the little hole in the soal for the daisy doll.Yep, dolls was gone and woodlice rehomed in her shoe.
    Anyway, Im thinking the owner might read this post and bar us!!!:o

And now me I would love to go, because I need a rest.
    What with running after my husband , rehomeing stray woodlice, cleaning up floods, it would be nice to not have to cook .

Thanks,cathy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭mary21

i would pick no. 4 i need a brea:(k

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭dromdrom

2. Quignalegan B&B Ballina, Co. Mayo

Would love to be able to start something that we as a family could do consistently for years to come, so would love the surf lessons. I think the ability to hop in a car throw the boards on the rack and head away for a night to the West Coast as a family would be great and also allow us to see a lot more of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

For me I would pick 3. Shelmalier House, Athlone, Co. Westmeath.

Two reasons:
    1. I'm travelling from the Dublin with 5 kids ages between 8 years and 4 months. Its not too far on the new roads to Athlone so it won't be too stressful of a journey. As much as I'd love to go to Donegal, there'd be murder on the way ;-)

2. Staying in Athlone gives a great opportunity to visit loads of places with great variety.

P.S I love the Discover Ireland song by "Heathers". :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

1. Eagles Nest B&B, Co. Donegal

Relax in this newly built, but traditional cottage style Bed and Breakfast, which is located in Lettermacaward, Co. Donegal with spectacular views to Gweebarra Bay.

This peaceful setting is an ideal location for fishing, climbing, walking, canoeing, horse riding, golf and more.

Ohh the above would be great, AS we have no holiday for this year (bloody credit crunch) for my sons the horse riding would be fantastic as the 7 year old loves to ride. My 1 year old would love the outdoors also and that would knock him out for a nights sleep which we parents would be very greatful for ;-).

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cmurph

hi there ,
    my choice if i was lucky enough to win would be for

i've been to athlone a few years ago and liked the town , but also my kids love boats so would be very happy to spend 2 nights away from home and even better to get to go on a boat

funds are tight this year ...we managed 1 night away in galway last weekend but that will be it for us this year so a free 2 nights away would be fab !

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭fdevine

If selected to win the prize I would choose the Shelmalier House in Athlone

I used to be brought through Athlone as a child with my siblings in the back of a 1960's mini, loaded down with 2 weeks worth of luggage for our 'holliers' in the country.

Never did stop in Athlone and haven't been through it many times since.

Despite my uncle working as a mechanic for one of the cruise companies we never got the often promised jaunt on a boat so a two hour cruise would be a nice experience.

I have fond memories of playing within sight of the Shannon banks and around Lough Derg so to go back and relive some childhood memories with my own kids would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 KD3107

My choice would be Leim Siar, Belmullet, Co Mayo

I have two girls an (almost) 8 year old and a 3 year old who would be absolutley thrilled to get away to the beach for a holiday especially somewhere like Leim Siar where everything is so close. They would be made up to get to go on holidays and have the sea on their doorstep for building sandcastles, paddling and collecting their seashells for the grandparents and aunties and uncles. Not to mention myself and their mother would be delighted to get a break away from the everyday worries and just relax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

A terrific base for visiting historic sites like Athlone Castle, religious relics like Clonmacnoise, animal petting farm for the kids (and adults!) at Glendeer Pet farm, retail therapy in town and the idea of taking the kids on a proper boat trip is the icing on the cake.

I think this, and tbh, all the other destinations in this competition, are terrific examples of just what the Discover Ireland campaign is all about.

Oh yeah, and a cracking guilt free fry in the morning!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

2. Quignalegan B&B Ballina, Co. Mayo

This modern B&B is located in scenic Ballina on the banks of the River Moy. The unspoilt natural landscape makes for the perfect destination for a family get away.

This fantastic prize also includes family surf lessons for the whole family to enjoy.

I've got a six year old that would love the surf lesson and I've got some family in Mayo that we could catch up with and that B&B has WiFi so I could ... ah, nevermind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 CandyApple2010

!!Rocksberry B&B,Castlebar, Co. Mayo!!!

Because when me and my husband got married we didn't get to do anything for our honeymoon because of his school and work. We would love to be chosen to go on the trip to this relaxing place because not only is it beautiful but we will get to enjoy the wonderful views and travel around mayo to visit all the great places to see. Would be a great way to make up for the honeymoon and spend time with out little baby thats on the way!! Please consider us for your trip contest! Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭copper04

Leim Siar, Belmullet, Co. Mayo.
    My choice would be Leim Siar, Belmullet, Co. Mayo
    I am entering this as I would love to take my two children on an adventure break. They are aged nine and five and of couse suffering from boredom even though they have only been off school one week. !!! Can I get through another two months without having a nervous breakdown. !!!!!!! Seriously I would be delighted win this break as we can not get away this year due to having to make cutbacks.
    I think this is a great competition and thank and thanks very much to both Boards.ie and Discover Ireland for providing the competition for Boards members.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Thanks firstly to Darragh & Discover Ireland.

3. Shelmalier House, Athlone, Co. Westmeath is the one I'd go for please.

I'd take the family down to show the girls where their mum went to college. It'd be great to have a pint in Sean’s Bar again after all the years that have passed since I last visited. Dining in some of the area's local restaurants would be fantastic as we're great lovers of sea-food. The river cruise on the Shannon would be a new experience for all of us so all in all it's a prize we'd certainly get a lot of entertainment from.

Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I would pick: 3. Shelmalier House, Athlone, Co. Westmeath

It sounds like a wonderful holiday. My son had major surgery in December and this is the first summer that we have had a break from hospital visits. My husband was also seriously ill at the same time.
    So I had one in hospital in Dublin and one in hospital in Sligo.
    It would be wonderful to get away for a break. So far we've just had a couple of days in Galway and the car broke down on the way.
    My son loves boats as well so the boat trip would be the icing on the cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭samsausage

Nice prizes. Hard to pick one but would like to see Belmullet especially to play golf in Carne as I've heard a lot of very good reports on it. Failing that I would choose Donegal as I have never been and a visit is long overdue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭oohlala

Ooh hard to choose!!!!

I would choose Shelmalier house in Athlone. My daughter has gotten really into history and learning about Ireland lately and i would love to encourage that by showing her around clonmacnoise and the castle. I can't imagine anything else she'd prefer to do on a weekend tbh!!

Thanks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

I would love to enter this competition on behalf of my cousin Ruth cos she and her husband deserve some time away after a difficult year.

Her and her husband have had a tough time lately as their daughter,Hannah, had a problem with her leg and hip and has spend much of the last year getting operations and having her legs and hips in plaster as you can see in the picture i have attached. But thankfully she is somewhat on the way to the road to recovery even though she will have to get operations very regular until she is about 15 but her brother and sister have been great with her through her recuperation.

Also,to add to this my cousins husband getting laid off work i would love to just do something nice for them.

Congrats to everyone who gets the breaks away.

Hope you all have a great time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

All fantastic locations but I'd have to choose
    Shelmalier House, Athlone
    because Athlone is such a fantastic location. Handy from anywhere in the country and we love to go there and meet up with friends from all around. It's a great spot for families due to the wide range of water and land based activites to choose from. Hoping to make it to Athlone again before the end of the year.
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Eagles Nest, Donegal.

Cos my head's already in the clouds if I think I have any chance of winning this.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Caught

I would choose number three - Mayo.

I've chosen this because I'd love to go back to Mayo - I've been there once before to visit my Mams friends when I was five. We've both always wanted to learn to surf, so I think this would be great. It's the closest we'll ever get to surfing in Hawaii I'd say, and if we ever did go, at least we'd know how to surf! :) I'd also love to bring my family here as I think it would be a nice little relaxing holiday, and we haven't had a holiday that we've relaxed on in ages! :L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭amerie2010

1. Eagles Nest B&B, Co. Donegal ok so this is my first ever post and id like to keep it simple my reason for entering this competition is that someone asked me the other day had i ever visited places that are right on my door-step in ireland and i am ashamed to say that i havent and i would love to be one of those people that can big up their country like the americans do maybe even do it as a roadtrip from the south where i live to the north!

Advertisement