Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

City of Derry airport

Options
  • 30-06-2010 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

I flew into City of Derry on Monday last from Spain. We had to show our passports to security once we left the aircraft.
    Does anyone know the reason for this. We didnt have to show them when we arrived in Spain?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Hoort

It's because every country have there own passport control policy's
    I had to show mine when I flew from heathrow to Belfast both way's
    I also had to show my passport :P

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I thought you didn't need a passport for travel between Ireland and the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Larrson

Yes you do

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

BMI Baby don't insist on them between Belfast Int and East Midlands Airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Larrson wrote: »
    Yes you do

No, you don't!

Easyjet, for example, will accept most forms of photographic ID - driving licences, travel passes etc.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Larrson wrote: »
    Yes you do

No you don't i flew from derry to prestwick and i didn't have to show mines.

Essexboy wrote: »
    No, you don't!

Easyjet, for example, will accept most forms of photographic ID - driving licences, travel passes etc.

I didn't have to show anything.

gavmcfad wrote: »
    I flew into City of Derry on Monday last from Spain. We had to show our passports to security once we left the aircraft.
    Does anyone know the reason for this. We didnt have to show them when we arrived in Spain?

Because its a foreign country, you don't need them when you are travelling to england etc because its the same country, its like travelling from new york to florida in america you don't need one there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

muffler wrote: »

The OP was travelling from Spain to City of Derry airport.

The UK and Ireland are not part of the Schengen region and so there is passport control between UK and other European countries.

Routes from Spain are probably popular with illegal immigrants and so heighted immigration control would apply to these flights.

Irish Immigration officers regularly board trains at Dundalk to ensure that no illegals have crossed into the Republic though Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

owenc wrote: »
    Because its a foreign country, you don't need them when you are travelling to england etc because its the same country, its like travelling from new york to florida in america you don't need one there.

The Common Travel Area technically only applies to UK and Irish citizens and non-UK \ Irish citizens are technically still subject to immigration checks.

• Advertisement

jahalpin wrote: »
    The Common Travel Area technically only applies to UK and Irish citizens and non-UK \ Irish citizens are technically still subject to immigration checks.

Well whats the point in that then as that means they will have to check everyones passport anyway.

Hoort wrote: »
    I had to show mine when I flew from heathrow to Belfast both way's
    I also had to show my passport :P
    muffler wrote: »
    jahalpin wrote: »
    The OP was travelling from Spain to City of Derry airport.
    As you can see I was referring to Hoort's post that made reference to showing the passport on UK/Ireland travel.

The following is from the Dept. Foreign Affairs Passport web site
    Passports are required for travel to all countries except the United Kingdom. (However, you should note that some airlines now require photo-ID for flights to the UK). With the exception of travel to the U.K., Irish citizens require a valid passport for travel to all other destinations in the E.U.
    SOURCE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

...you don't need them when you are travelling to england etc because its the same country, its like travelling from new york to florida in america you don't need one there.

Since when did derry/londenderry, a city in Northern Ireland become part of England.

They are different countries, and depending on the airport / airline you may or may not need a passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭GoldenGreen

Since when did derry/londenderry, a city in Northern Ireland become part of England.

They are different countries, and depending on the airport / airline you may or may not need a passport.

Had to show my passport when i flew into belfast from london one time but think it was because there was a flight that landed from spain at the same time and they had no way of seperating the people from the two flights. I guess when i say i had to show my passport, i was coming from london any photo id would have done, it just happened i had my passport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

According to the following, a passport IS necessary for all Ryaniar flights, including those to and from the UK from Ireland, North or South - we don't have any valid form of identity card that they will accept.

http://www.ryanair.com/en/questions/what-travel-documentation-do-i-need-to-travel-on-ryanair-flights

Ryanair does NOT accept driver licences, residence cards, family books, seaman books, military ID cards etc.

THE ONLY FORMS OF TRAVEL DOCUMENTS ACCEPTED ON RYANAIR FLIGHTS ARE:

* A valid passport - ( see below - */and ** below)
    * A valid National Identity Card issued by the government of a European Economic Area (EEA) country. (Only the following EEA countries issue National Identity Cards acceptable for carriage on Ryanair flights: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Finland, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Greece, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Italy, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland)
    * A valid German Government issued Kinderausweis travel document
    * A valid Italian Certificato Di Nascita which has been endorsed as "VALIDO PER L'ESPATRIO" valid for travel. It is the passenger's personal responsibility to ensure that this document meets the requirements of immigration and other governmental authorities at the destination airport - see ** below.
    * A valid Italian AT/BT card (Italian domestic flights only)
    * A valid UN Refugee Convention Travel Document - (issued in accordance with Article 28(1) of the 1951 UN Convention, by a Government in place of a valid passport.)
    * A valid Convention Travel Document - (issued in accordance with Article 27 of the 1954 UN Convention for Stateless Persons, by a contracting state in place of a valid passport)
    * A valid EU Collective Passport (issued to approved EU school groups who are under 18)
    * A valid Collective Passport issued by an EU/EEA country

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Larrson

Thats correct, Ryanair would not let me travel with an English driving Licence said i needed a passport, Muffler thats why i said you do need a passport.

Its in the same country the United Kingdom that means it dosen't need a passport, i think i should know my brother works there. When are yous going to get it into your republican heads that northern ireland,scotland, wales and england is all one country, we use the same currency, same rules etc, its stupid to say not. I flew from derry to prestwick and they didn't ask for anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭killerbeg

"When are yous going to get it into your republican heads that northern ireland,scotland, wales and england is all one country"

The simple answer to that particularly stupid question owenc is NEVER.

killerbeg wrote: »
    "When are yous going to get it into your republican heads that northern ireland,scotland, wales and england is all one country"

The simple answer to that particularly stupid question owenc is NEVER.

well you can think like that, but you know its true.

Leave it that lads.

No more off topic posting please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

No you don't i flew from derry to prestwick and i didn't have to show mines.

I fly that route on a regular basis and have to show my Passport every time

• Registered Users Posts: 35 FJFF

Just did Prestwick to Derry, didn't have to show passport in Derry, but there were police at Prestwick to show it to.

I fly very very often between the NI airports and UK mainland airports and have to show my passport every now and then, on flights I didn't have to do so before. For the most part those checks are quite random, even now with the Tory government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Domscard

FJFF wrote: »
    Just did Prestwick to Derry, didn't have to show passport in Derry, but there were police at Prestwick to show it to.

I fly very very often between the NI airports and UK mainland airports and have to show my passport every now and then, on flights I didn't have to do so before. For the most part those checks are quite random, even now with the Tory government.

Was this with Ryanair :confused: Really surprised, as they have turned people I know away point blank for not having their passport with them? When you print out your Ryanair reservation it's made clear that you must produce your passport, no matter where you are going. When I've travelled with them, I've had to show my passport at check-in every single time. I would advise anyone not to rely on the hope that they won't be asked for it as the chances of being refused are all too likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 FJFF

Domscard wrote: »
    Was this with Ryanair :confused: Really surprised, as they have turned people I know away point blank for not having their passport with them? When you print out your Ryanair reservation it's made clear that you must produce your passport, no matter where you are going. When I've travelled with them, I've had to show my passport at check-in every single time. I would advise anyone not to rely on the hope that they won't be asked for it as the chances of being refused are all too likely.

Sorry, to clarify; this was with Ryanair, and always bring your passport, found it strange they didnt ask for it. I did have it in hand, though.
    Lapse of judgment on someones part I'm thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

FJFF wrote: »
    Sorry, to clarify; this was with Ryanair, and always bring your passport, found it strange they didnt ask for it. I did have it in hand, though.
    Lapse of judgment on someones part I'm thinking.

Would say your right somebody would get their knuckles rapped if the bosses found out

Advertisement