Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junk Mail at 6.30am

Options
  • 30-06-2010 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

This morning our whole house (including our young child) was woken at 6.30am by the noise of someone stuffing junk mail ("charity" clothes collections) through our letterbox.

Up until now I've put up with the annoyance of having daily junk mail through my letterbox, and having to pay to dispose of it, as it makes up a good 1/3 of our fortnightly recycling rubbish. However this is now the final straw. We had a long night with the baby, and had just got her settled at around 5am, then this idiot comes along rattling the letterbox and wakes everyone up!!!:mad:

Is anyone aware of any body, or organisation, to whom complaints can be made about this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

You can request An Post don't deliver junk, but that doesn't cover clumsy nocturnal deliveries from private companies.

I'm in the same boat, but to be honest i am paying to dispose of the recycling anyway regardless, so it doesn't bother me that much, but yeah I can see how this would annoy you, waking up a baby and all...

I have seen letterboxes with 'no junk mail' signs stuk on them - don't know how effective they are, otherwise get an external post box or a box of powerful mousetraps...

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭pat k

you should get a letterbox lock and put it in place after your post has arrived then you wont be able to get any junk mail you can get them in most hardware shops for ten euro or something like that
    as for people posting clothes charity bags at that time i think they might be dodgy and ignore them
    if you wish to give clothes to charity you can pop into any of the shops up town

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭pitkan

There was talk recently in the media about these so called `charities` and the fact that most of your unwanted clothes go to barons feathering their own pockets from the proceeds of shredding the clothes to sell them as rags. From the nuisance point of this thread I suspect that these earlybird deliveries are carried out by foreign nationals(told two of them at my own gate not to deliver as I left for work-they did so anyhow)who are also claiming welfare,hence the early morning deliveries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I second the external postbox option so there's no disturbance at any time.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Those charity things, there's only two legit crowds in Ireland that do those and the one nearest to Kilkenny is the Irish Cancer Society which is in Clonmel. All others are scams

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I know it's no good but it should definately be introduced. When I was living in Switzerland you could get a no junk mail sticker and if anyone delivered junk mail they could be fined

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

I had that experience last month. I'd fallen asleep early and woke up at 2am, decided I wasn't going back to sleep any time soon so was on the computer. At 4am, the dog started barking and growling like a mad thing. I jumped, thought someone was breaking into the house and nearly wet myself. It was one of those clothes bag stickers being delivered. FFS! I was tachycardic for days afterwards.

I rang the two mobile numbers printed on the sticker the next morning prepared to kill the person who answered but both numbers were non-existent. I don't think whoever delivered them will be back any time soon though because the dog sounds like a killer when he starts.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I know it's no good but it should definately be introduced. When I was living in Switzerland you could get a no junk mail sticker and if anyone delivered junk mail they could be fined

What are you doing on the internet? Aren't you supposed to be cycling...get back on the bike :D

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I think I'll be investing in one of those letterbox lock quite soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

I wrote to An Post not long after we moved in requesting that our post man does not delivery junk mail to us but continue to receive it all the same :mad:

It is frustrating when I've to pay to get rid of the crap!

• Advertisement

Indeed you do, An Post however won't stop deliverying it as they get paid to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Cabaal wrote: »
    Indeed you do, An Post however won't stop deliverying it as they get paid to do it

That's the irritating thing though, I didn't realise there was the ability to stop this crap coming through the door until ironically enough I received through the door a notice from An Post about customer services & explaining how to stop junk mail!
    I followed their instructions, wrote to the GPO with my address & details but still get them.
    Could be worse, at least I live in a rural place so its mainly just the stuff the postman brings.

I feel sorry for people living in town, the amount of junk shoved through the door.
    When I lived in Carlow town I would fill a black bag per month of just junk mail between menus's for takeaways etc :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Dr.Sanchez

What are you doing on the internet? Aren't you supposed to be cycling...get back on the bike :D

:p

Must have an iPhone taped onto the handlebars!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

You'd pick up an electric fence energiser for about fifty quid on done deal, and a plug in timer for about a fiver in Argos or whatever.

Then make a sticker that says

No Junk Mail Please:
    (THIS LETTERBOX IS ENERGISED BETWEEN 6PM AND 8AM)

You wouldn't even need to have it switched on after a week or so when they've all figured out what you meant by 'energised'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I wonder what An Post would do if all the generic junkmail (with no addresses) ended up back in a postbox? Would they have to deliver it again, as they've been paid to deliver it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Interesting question.

I wonder would they simply return it to who ever sent it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

My mate works nights in a printing press, he drops the papers to his Da every
    thursday morning at around 4.30am on the way home.

Last week he was pulled up by some very large angry people (not Irish) as he was leaving the papers for his father.

Long story short he drives a van and these people thought that he was getting
    in on their patch collecting the clothes that were left out.

Not my kind of people and I will certainly not be leaving clothes out for them..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Dan Chipowski

4.20am last night one of them came through the door.

Crazy time to be delivering this garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭BMF Plint

get a big ass rottweiler and leave it out the front:D

Advertisement