Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat Exams/Compensation

Options
  • 30-06-2010 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

I was told that I would be able to compensate for results on two exams I failed because I got more than 35% in both and I had two other exams which I had enough credits in to compensate for these failures. However, today I just got a letter to say I have to repeat these exams. I’m really confused because it was my year head who said I would be eligible for compensation.

Does anyone have any advice? Seeing as I got the letter I assume that means I definitely have to repeat.

Does anyone know when the fees for repeats have to be paid or when the actual repeats are?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Addie552 wrote: »
    I was told that I would be able to compensate for results on two exams I failed because I got more than 35% in both and I had two other exams which I had enough credits in to compensate for these failures. However, today I just got a letter to say I have to repeat these exams. I’m really confused because it was my year head who said I would be eligible for compensation.

Does anyone have any advice? Seeing as I got the letter I assume that means I definitely have to repeat.

Does anyone know when the fees for repeats have to be paid or when the actual repeats are?

Thanks

What does the credit section for the modules register as on your transcript? If they both have 0.000, I am afraid you will have to repeat them. Unless there were a cockup with the admin staff(very likely in DIT).
    There should always be a message in the comments section indicating status(i.e repeat all components, repeat exam only ect). Failing the above, I would contact your year head who might be around...sometime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Buddy Clon

To compensate in DIT it can't be over 15 ECT credits. So for example if you get 35-39% in two 10 ECT credits subjects you can't pass by compensation, if you get 35-39% in two 5 ECT credits subjects you can pass by compensation. So check the credits of the subjects you failed and if they are over 15, sorry you can't pass by compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Turnip2000

On my results there are two grades between 35-40% And they both show 0 credits. But it says nothing about repeating components? It also says passed by compensation at the top of the page? i just took it i passed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Addie552

Naikon wrote: »
    What does the credit section for the modules register as on your transcript? If they both have 0.000, I am afraid you will have to repeat them. Unless there were a cockup with the admin staff(very likely in DIT).
    There should always be a message in the comments section indicating status(i.e repeat all components, repeat exam only ect). Failing the above, I would contact your year head who might be around...sometime.

The credit section said 0.000 for both but in the comments sections it said reffered...
    Buddy Clon wrote: »
    To compensate in DIT it can't be over 15 ECT credits. So for example if you get 35-39% in two 10 ECT credits subjects you can't pass by compensation, if you get 35-39% in two 5 ECT credits subjects you can pass by compensation. So check the credits of the subjects you failed and if they are over 15, sorry you can't pass by compensation.

The only thing was the two modules I failed were worth 5 ECT credits each. I got 36% in both and got high enough marks in other modules which I was told would enable me to compensate. But apparently not.

Thanks both for the help though. Looks like I'll be repeating.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Addie552 wrote: »
    The credit section said 0.000 for both but in the comments sections it said reffered...

The only thing was the two modules I failed were worth 5 ECT credits each. I got 36% in both and got high enough marks in other modules which I was told would enable me to compensate. But apparently not.

Thanks both for the help though. Looks like I'll be repeating.

I was told in first year when I got 35% in a module I couldnt get compensated as i failed other modules and that I needed a grade over 70%, I think the fact you failed 2 is the reason you need to repeat them, stupid rule alrite got really pissed off in first year over it

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 battycow

I go to DIT and have been in this situation once or twice! Mybe it differs from one "school" to the other, I'm in the school of the built environment. If you don't have any results below 35% which you don't, and you have double what you need in other results you should be fine. I got 37% in one subject this summer and it had 0 credits beside it and refer, I think. But if the head of your course told you that you don't have to repeat, I'd be going with that. the college is very unorganised! Did you get sent registration forms for the repeats? If you didn't get this then you DEFO are not repeating. I got them in the post because there was a little mix-up with my results, my lecturer told me I was 25% but I actually got 56%! I have to remind my lecturers in Sept to make sure they change the result with the exams board. Don't know why they can't remember to do it, was their fault! Best of luck anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ciano789

I got 36% in one exam and 27% in another (a pass is worth 5 credits) can i compensate the 36% exam, As i got 55 plus in the other 4 exams I had to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭queensinead

Student in First Year Science was told, based on his Xmas results in Chemistry that he needed to get 50% in his June Chemistry results. He got 49%
    Should he inquire further in the hope of being bumped up the extra 1%?

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Sprog 4

Student in First Year Science was told, based on his Xmas results in Chemistry that he needed to get 50% in his June Chemistry results. He got 49%
    Should he inquire further in the hope of being bumped up the extra 1%?

I'm sure the lecturer was just giving a ball-park figure. If they intend to make him repeat then it can't hurt to appeal. I'd assume it is ok until you hear otherwise.

Advertisement