Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most Famous Living Kerry Person

Options
  • 30-06-2010 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭

I posted a similar thread in Kilkenny and Galway forums but who is the most famous living Kerry person that is not a GAA footballer? It can also be someone not originally from Kerry, but living in the Kingdom.

I'm thinking writers, actors, tv presenters etc...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,052 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

I posted a similar thread in Kilkenny and Galway forums but who is the most famous living Kerry person that is not a GAA footballer? It can also be someone not originally from Kerry, but living in the Kingdom.

I'm thinking writers, actors, tv presenters etc...

Only GAA people are allowed to be famous in Kerry.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

john B Keane?

EDIT: ah....living!!!

oh well

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Michael Fassbender is famous enough. Born in Germany but his family moved to Killarney when he was 2.

Not sure where he is living now, but he does pop up in Limerick every once in a while, so he either still have a house in Kerry or his family are still there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

Brendan Kennelly.. not really mega famous though!

Tough one actually :rolleyes:

I think that most famous Kerry people are probably only famous within the confines of their own townland, or in some cases, living-room.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Micheál O Muircheartaigh for me would be Kerry's most famous living person, probably followed by Jackie Healy Rae.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭Jordonvito

think this guy deserves a shout

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

Probably Tadgh Kennelly (Sydney Swans AFL), Jackie Healy Rae (politician and cute hoor), Michael Fassbender (actor, was in 300 among other films), Gillian O' Sullivan (retired race walker, holds every Irish record for everything from 3km to 20km), a load of retired GAA players (you said current ones :p) like Paidi O Se or Pat Spillane or Mick O' Dwyer, Daiti O Se (TG4 weatherman, TV personality and Rose of Tralee host), Martin Ferris (Sinn Fein gun runner), Dick Spring (former Tanaiste).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Corneilius Horan - The guy in the Irish Dancing outfit who made his name during the Marathon in Athens in 2004 !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Micheal Fassbender is probably the most widely known living person to come from kerry he was in inglorius basterds too.

Although I'm sure loads of irish around the globe would know who Micheál O Muircheartaigh which would probably run into the 10s of millions.

we can only hope that its not Jackie Healy Rae......

• Advertisement

So, if we ignore the German, the GAA people, and the whacky politician, we're left with the mad de-frocked? priest. I can live with that.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

All the cute Kerry hoors are famous ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

ejmaztec wrote: »
    So, if we ignore the German, the GAA people, and the whacky politician, we're left with the mad de-frocked? priest. I can live with that.:pac:

Speaking of that priest, Fr Horan, I see in the Kingdom newspaper (link below) that a book has come out that is a biography of his life and had an official book launch with himself doing a jig while professional accordian player Liam O'Connor performed. Does anyone feel that this poor fellow's mental health issues are being exploited to make a few bucks? I mean surely his appearance on X Factor auditions combined with the Olympics and motor Rally gate crashing speaks volumes that something is not right in his head and that he needs professional help?? I don't think he has the ability to judge what's right for himself so surely his loved ones should know that allowing him such a public platform only ensures that people are going to laugh and riducule him? I'm not trying to poke fun at him here. I'm just concerned that he unknowingly is being used as an object of ridicule. http://www.the-kingdom.ie/news/story/?trs=mhmhqlkfkf&cat=news

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭oicherider

The thing about most famous kerry people is that they keep a low profile and out of the public eye.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭oicherider

It can also be someone not originally from Kerry, but living in the Kingdom.

QUOTE]
    Vinnie Jones has a place in Kenmare..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭grrrrrrrrrr

ongarboy wrote: »
    Speaking of that priest, Fr Horan, I see in the Kingdom newspaper (link below) that a book has come out that is a biography of his life and had an official book launch with himself doing a jig while professional accordian player Liam O'Connor performed. Does anyone feel that this poor fellow's mental health issues are being exploited to make a few bucks? I mean surely his appearance on X Factor auditions combined with the Olympics and motor Rally gate crashing speaks volumes that something is not right in his head and that he needs professional help?? I don't think he has the ability to judge what's right for himself so surely his loved ones should know that allowing him such a public platform only ensures that people are going to laugh and riducule him? I'm not trying to poke fun at him here. I'm just concerned that he unknowingly is being used as an object of ridicule. http://www.the-kingdom.ie/news/story/?trs=mhmhqlkfkf&cat=news

TBH his mental health is not of our concern really but he should be shot. What he did in Athens was criminal. A man who was winning the biggest, most prestigous event in international running and that idiot attacks him. He should be stoned!

TBH his mental health is not of our concern really but he should be shot. What he did in Athens was criminal. A man who was winning the biggest, most prestigous event in international running and that idiot attacks him. He should be stoned!

So, you think that people with mental health issues should be shot, or stoned? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

i think Def Leppard have a recording studio in south kerry somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Bersouth

Its got to be Jackie for his delievery to South Kerry over the past 13years:)

Bersouth wrote: »
    Its got to be Jackie for his delievery to South Kerry over the past 13years:)

I'd say that he got more out of it than the people of South Kerry did.:P

Anyway, this thread's for famous and not infamous.

• Advertisement

I'd say that he got more out of it than the people of South Kerry did.:P

Anyway, this thread's for famous and not infamous.

Surely he deserves credit for the bypass, who else was in a position to secure it, even Martin Ferris was able to acknowledge ths fact. We had alocal councillor who lives near by pass calling for a cycle lane to be included and if he only took time to look it s in place.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Rookster

Pat Spillane/Mick Galwey/Sean Kelly

Surely he deserves credit for the bypass, who else was in a position to secure it, even Martin Ferris was able to acknowledge ths fact. We had alocal councillor who lives near by pass calling for a cycle lane to be included and if he only took time to look it s in place.......

Like all politicians in this bankrupt country, JHR's been well paid for his efforts.

Like all politicians in this bankrupt country, JHR's been well paid for his efforts.
    So were the other 5 Td's and 3 Senators in Kerry, so I presume Jackie is worth more than them:D

So were the other 5 Td's and 3 Senators in Kerry, so I presume Jackie is worth more than them:D

Anyone helping FF to remain in power to screw Ireland over, is worthless. Whatever Healy-Rae ever did that deserved any merit, has been cancelled out by his contribution to Ireland's downfall.

I've no time for people of his ilk, or anyone daft enough to fall for the bullsh1t.

Anyone helping FF to remain in power to screw Ireland over, is worthless. Whatever Healy-Rae ever did that deserved any merit, has been cancelled out by his contribution to Ireland's downfall.

I've no time for people of his ilk, or anyone daft enough to fall for the bullsh1t.

While I appreciate there are people saying that’s no way for the country to be run deals with Independent’s to secure a majority, I like to remind people that Deputy Healy Rae was elected by the people of South and West Kerry to represent them and them only, the Government is elected by the members of the Dail to govern to for the people of Ireland, Deputy Jackie Healy Rae needs to make no appoligies to anyone for being focused solely on South and West Kerry for they are the people who gave him the mandate to represent them.

While I appreciate there are people saying that’s no way for the country to be run deals with Independent’s to secure a majority, I like to remind people that Deputy Healy Rae was elected by the people of South and West Kerry to represent them and them only, the Government is elected by the members of the Dail to govern to for the people of Ireland, Deputy Jackie Healy Rae needs to make no appoligies to anyone for being focused solely on South and West Kerry for they are the people who gave him the mandate to represent them.

No wonder Ireland's in the sh1t when the only thing working overtime is the parish-pump.

Perhaps his constituents would like to hand back the money spent on all of the projects, and fund these themselves? Why should the rest of country have to foot the bill for things that have nothing to do with them? Let's all be selfish and ignore the big picture.

No wonder Ireland's in the sh1t when the only thing working overtime is the parish-pump.

Perhaps his constituents would like to hand back the money spent on all of the projects, and fund these themselves? Why should the rest of country have to foot the bill for things that have nothing to do with them? Let's all be selfish and ignore the big picture.

Lets look at big picture more money has been pumped into Anglo Irish banks in one year than has been spent on Rural Development since the foundation of the state, Ireland does not end at the red cow roundabout

Lets look at big picture more money has been pumped into Anglo Irish banks in one year than has been spent on Rural Development since the foundation of the state, Ireland does not end at the red cow roundabout

Yes, and Healy-Rae has been supporting the bleeding dry of the the country all the way, in return for a chunk of tax-payers' money to keep his subjects happy.

• Advertisement

Yes, and Healy-Rae has been supporting the bleeding dry of the the country all the way, in return for a chunk of tax-payers' money to keep his subjects happy.
    Are the people of South Kerry not entitled to similar service that are freely available elsewhere, in South Kerry they are only playing catchup, and only for Jackie Healy Rae finding himself in a position of influence whether one agrees with it or not the people of South Kerry would still be in the starting blocks. I only wish that we had someone of such influence in our area

Advertisement