Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Oh no, another gig shot, hang on its SLASH! new pics pg 2 post #26

• 30-06-2010 4:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭

Guys I think I may have had the best photographic experience of my life last night. Here is the first shot I have edited, I am almost afraid to look at the shots, seriously!

I was very disappointed to miss out on the Slash tickets and was doing my best to try and source one that wasnt going to cost an arm and a leg until I got a phonecall to photograph Glyder. An added bonus was a pass for Slash, imo the greatest rock legend of my time, I went in there a nervous wreck, I just kept thinking Oh my God what if I'm not happy, I love this guy and this is possibly the best opportunity I have had to enjoy my photography thus far. Well I did my work on the support act, enjoyed it as always, then for Slash the pit was no more all mine:( but thankfully I got the perfect spot, directly in front of the man himself and boy did I stand my ground. At first my hands were shaking, I was completely starstruck and shocked that yes, I was actually there taking his pic. Anyway when the others got closer and closer to me I got my act together and let the nerves go. I did still have the odd moment where I had to pull the camera away and look at this legend with my naked eye, I could almost have touched him, I must have been beaming from ear to ear and boy did he play to the cameras, and the crowd of course!

So I unveil my first edited shot. I looked through the shots on camera but not yet on screen, as I said Im a bit nervous but I know a few that I am really excited about seeing, which I will do now in a few minutes after I share this. I hope its not the best, as bad as that sounds I just hope there is better to come, well we'll see soon, I'll upload more later.

I should also say, sorry for the watermark, but you know yourselves, has to be done with some pics.

4748791831_ff2c6fa6aa.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

In all your excitement you forgot the picture :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Connavar wrote: »
    In all your excitement you forgot the picture :D

No its there although its linked from facebook so if thats blocked for you maybe you cant see it, I am very excited though!

Yup facebook is blocked alright, will have a look from home later;)

Connavar wrote: »
    Yup facebook is blocked alright, will have a look from home later;)

Sorry, I'll do a flickr link.

Sorry, I'll do a flickr link.

Its ok ill be going home in 15 mins anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Guys I think I may have had the best photographic experience of my life last night.

Great picture!
    At first my hands were shaking, I was completely starstruck and shocked that yes, I was actually there taking his pic.

He seems like a genuine and humble sort of guy. He is prone to
    being starstruck too:
    http://videosift.com/video/Rory-Gallagher-Tribute-by-Slash

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I seriously wouldn't post a pic I care about directly onto Facebook..

Wow nice pic, you really were in the perfect spot for it

sineadw wrote: »
    I seriously wouldn't post a pic I care about directly onto Facebook..

Well I dont mind posting on facebook with a big ugly watermark.

4749457752_6135936789.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

even with a watermark.. Not necessarily that it'll get stolen (happens everywhere, fact of life etc) but Facebook's terms. And the fact that they cheat on them all the time (allegedly :D). Wouldn't be surprised to see the shot used on someone's page with an ad for guitar lessons is all..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭youllneverknow

your a lucky shyte....good photos of him.

your a lucky shyte....good photos of him.

haha G, wondering when you'd see them, I'll fill you in on all the details on the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

well done Rachel, congrats on getting the gig & some shots you're thrilled with. Did you get the customary 3 songs?

"the greatest rock legend of my time"....you're wacky!

eas wrote: »
    "the greatest rock legend of my time"....you're wacky!

Lol, that was the nickname my dad gave me:p Yes the 3 songs, and honestly with the heat from that stage and in the venue I was knackered but it was all over too quick, such a pity. And he is the greatest rock legend of my time to me, alongside Axl. I mean he has got to be one of the most famous musicians in the world!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Im not jealous one bit, not one bit at all I tell you :P

He IS a proper rock legend, and seems like a really cool guy too. I can feel the urge to plug in and play Estranged or something already :D:D

EnterNow wrote: »
    Im not jealous one bit, not one bit at all I tell you :P

He IS a proper rock legend, and seems like a really cool guy too. I can feel the urge to plug in and play Estranged or something already :D:D

Our friends met him at the end of the night as they were playing support and all said he was lovely. It was a great experience to be honest, really good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

Who or what is slash?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

joolsveer wrote: »
    Who or what is slash?

are you serious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Who or what is slash?
    Are you taking the piss? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Well done Rachel. May photography always bring you such enjoyment and excitement. Very special story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

I was watching his Glasto appearance on tele. He was very good.
    Well done Rachel.

Thanks everyone. Just watermarking the last of them, I narrowed it down to 47 edits so will cut down a bit more before uploading. I'll put a few more here too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

Who or what is slash?

i had to ask my OH the same thing. :p

really happy for you though, STG. it's always cool meetin yer idols and while i may not appreciate his music [or that genre in general:o] i really like the pics. fair play to yez!!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

artyeva wrote: »
    i had to ask my OH the same thing. :p

Well there's an excuse for you - you're in Mayooooooo! :)

Nice shots though STG - he is a living legend and they are class shots.

Thanks guys, I'm looking at the pics and it doesnt feel real, like it wasnt actually me that took them.

As promised some more, sorry these are from facebook for anyone who is blocked, heading to bed now so no time to upload twice.

36853_1477262261510_1532348992_1970466_3488004_n.jpg

37310_1477288502166_1532348992_1970508_5632437_n.jpg

34045_1477289142182_1532348992_1970512_2724426_n.jpg

35780_1477292502266_1532348992_1970539_5077229_n.jpg

36000_1477293342287_1532348992_1970553_5631801_n.jpg

So I guess you can see more so from these why I was so insistent on not budging for anyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Excellent shots, looks like you had a brill spot :)

You should send some to his web site, those are better than ones you see in the usual rock mags.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭hoganpoly

Great shots rachel,well captured,would love to do a gig or 2 ,how do you apply for passes :)

hoganpoly wrote: »
    Great shots rachel,well captured,would love to do a gig or 2 ,how do you apply for passes :)

The press usually get the passes, I got in though as I was photographing the support act! I was extremely lucky as I didn't have to rush off to submit pics or anything so I could stay and enjoy the rest of the gig!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

I was down to shoot this... and I put my back out. Was sitting watching Dora the bleedin' explorer when I shoulda been rockin' it large. :(:(:(:(:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

what a great opportunity to photo a legend like slash that has years of playing for the cameras. And captured nicely, well done :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,050 ✭✭✭✭cena

what do you mean by water mark the photo. i'v got a few good photos too just haven't got them up yet.

was really hoping too of got a photo with him. i'm going too get one of two of the photos framed. but i'm worried the framer may copy the photo too sell.

can you copy write photos. would like too take it up as a job. have been told I take good photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭moralproduction

nice shots,fair play to ya !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

cena wrote: »
    what do you mean by water mark the photo. i'v got a few good photos too just haven't got them up yet.

was really hoping too of got a photo with him. i'm going too get one of two of the photos framed. but i'm worried the framer may copy the photo too sell.

can you copy write photos. would like too take it up as a job. have been told I take good photos.

You can add watermarks to your images using most processing programs.

Your photos hold all the necessary data digitally to copyright them to you. But printing is different. If you're really that worried why not print them yourself? Or get them done at a local lab - Pretty certain nobody will steal your image, but if you are that paranoid, have them done in one hour photo. The people working in these places are just doing a job, they really don't care about the photos, hardly even look at them I bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Some cracking shots there.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭SinLight

Great shots - great capture and something to look up to in years to come - congrats ;)

• Advertisement

You can add watermarks to your images using most processing programs.

Your photos hold all the necessary data digitally to copyright them to you. But printing is different. If you're really that worried why not print them yourself? Or get them done at a local lab - Pretty certain nobody will steal your image, but if you are that paranoid, have them done in one hour photo. The people working in these places are just doing a job, they really don't care about the photos, hardly even look at them I bet.

ok thanks for the help. I just don't want too people too use them is all. my cousin does framing work and I think he can print out photos as well.

such a great night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Great shots, wish I could get some of my gig shots to come out that well!

It may have been asked already, but what camera do you use?

blastman wrote: »
    Great shots, wish I could get some of my gig shots to come out that well!

It may have been asked already, but what camera do you use?

Thanks so much!

That was the nikon d300 i bumped iso to 1600 which is mad cos I'm an iso freak, I hate high iso. The thing is though it's easier taking pics of the big bands as they have better lighting!

Guys you are not going to believe this, the other guitarist has just messages me on facebook for print prices! I'm in shock here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

Guys you are not going to believe this, the other guitarist has just messages me on facebook for print prices! I'm in shock here!

Thats is fantastic!! Your shots are absolutly fantastic. You are so lucky to have had that oppertunity! You said that they are edited, What did you do to them?

CiaranK wrote: »
    Thats is fantastic!! Your shots are absolutly fantastic. You are so lucky to have had that oppertunity! You said that they are edited, What did you do to them?

I use Guy Gowans techniques for good exposure colour and contrast then a little sharpening and clarity.

I have also just received a mail from the Alter Bridge UK website asking for pics, of course I said I'd be available to photograph them if they come here.

This is amazing though, I went out and had the night of my life and now I'm getting such a huge response with people emailing and pming asking to buy pics and even band members wanting the pics, isnt photography the best job EVER!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭IamBlip

Wow, Nice one.

I was showing the wife the thread and our 11 YO was asking what all the fuss was about

"ah Slash, He used to be in Micheal Jackon's band" :eek:

Who or what is slash?

So now you know.

http://allforloveblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/slash.jpg

Apoligies STG

IamBlip wrote: »
    Wow, Nice one.

I was showing the wife the thread and our 11 YO was asking what all the fuss was about

"ah Slash, He used to be in Micheal Jackon's band" :eek:

[/SIZE]

Brilliant, yeah my mam and dad didnt know who he was, or my 22 yr old bro, I actually am kinda shocked at the amount of people who didnt know him but anyone who does knows what all the fuss is about.

The press usually get the passes, I got in though as I was photographing the support act! I was extremely lucky as I didn't have to rush off to submit pics or anything so I could stay and enjoy the rest of the gig!

how did you get asked too photo the support band

cena wrote: »
    how did you get asked too photo the support band

My husband was in a band with the guitarist years back, we've been good friends since, go to as many gigs of theirs as we can, I photographed his wedding and shots for promotional material and albums.

how are you putting your name across the photo. is it some sort of software.

No just a text layer in photoshop with a low opacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mielag

Brilliant shots! Pity i missed that :(

Advertisement