Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killycreen Church & National School???

Options
  • 30-06-2010 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭

Killycreen is a small townland, a few miles the Letterkenny side of Ramelton.

I'm hoping some of you may be able to shed some light on the history of these buildings.

Killycreen Church, a ruin, has a recent gateway in front of it, with two dates: 1833 and 1939. It looks as though the grounds are being cared for by someone. I can find very little information about it.

Likewise, about 150 yards up the road, is the abandoned Killycreen NS, dated 1936. It's the typical, two roomed building, that a lot of early schools seemed to copy. Can't get any info for this either.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Anyone......?
    Anyone..........?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,098 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Sorry mrmac, no idea myself but hang in there as someone is bound throw some light on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

I'm from Ramelton but learned something new from your first post.

Have you talked to any of the residents of Killycreen? I know most of them have been there for years!!

Thanks Muffler. :)

Killycreen is a small townland, off to the right, as you travel from Letterkenny to Ramelton. It's neighbouring townlands would be Roughpark, Killydonnell, Aughnish, Croaghan and Shellfield.

The main bit of history I can find about Killycreen, (which has nothing to do with either the church or the school!), is that The Rev. William Gregg was born there.

"William Gregg (1817-1909) was a Presbyterian minister and Professor of Apologetics and Church History at Knox College. William Gregg was born in Killycreen, County Donegal, Ireland. He worked for a merchant in Londonderry for eight years before going to Scotland, where he studied at Glasgow University – receiving a Bachelor of Arts degree in 1843 – and at Edinburgh University, where he received a Master of Arts degree in 1844. He did his theological studies at Free College, Edinburgh, and moved to Canada in 1846 to work as a missionary for the Colonial Committee of the Free Presbyterian Church. He was ordained as minister of John Street Presbyterian Church, Belleville, Ontario, on June 22, 1846, and remained as minister until 1857. In 1857, Gregg moved to Toronto where he served Cooke’s Presbyterian Church until 1872. In 1867 he began lecturing in Apologetics at Knox College, Toronto, and in 1875, was appointed Professor of Apologetics and Church History. He retired in 1895. During his life, Gregg published several books, including the “The History of The Presbyterian Church in Canada”. Other books published include “A Book of Prayers for Family Worship”, and “The Presbyterian Book of Praise”. William Gregg also served as Moderator of the Free Presbyterian Church of Canada, in 1861."

A very intelligent export! The deeper I look at local history, the more I learn about the impact that Donegal people have played throughout the world. It's something we should feel very proud of.

I'd also like to hear any history about Shellfield and Shellbrook, if there are any stories about these places???

If all else fails, I'll have to take a trip into the library and/or county museum. :)

I'm from Ramelton but learned something new from your first post.

Have you talked to any of the residents of Killycreen? I know most of them have been there for years!!

Opps, sorry PattheMetaller, crossed posts!

I've been out to the church / school, about 4 times in the last 2 weeks, and I haven't met a single person! Not even a passing car to wave down!!
    Must be wondering who the hell I am!! :D

I was taking some simple pictures, just to add to a list of places to visit, when the days get shorter. Here's a pic of the church:

_DSC4431.JPG

I'm bound to find out something in the library.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭PattheMetaller

Killycreen church was Catholic. Try contacting Father Carney at St Mary's in Ramelton. The parish is bound to have info

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marknine

I am from Ramelton although I have not lived there for a number of years. Regarding Killycreen church. It is owned by the R.C. roman catholic church. My father and grandperants would have gone to that church up intill the late 1930s or 40s. There was a problem with the roof that the parish just could not afford to fix as the catholic comunity at the time wear poor. I was told that they tried to fix it again in the early 1950s but the roof was in to bad a state that it was cheaper to remove the roof.
    You may need to contact the diocese of Raphoe as they should have records for this parish. http://www.raphoediocese.ie/
    You may be able to contact Fr. Sweeny in Ramelton as he is a fountain of knowledge regarding local history. I hope this is of some small help.
    One other thing, it was often said that no marriage or baptism took place in the church. Some how I dont think that is true though.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marknine

Killycreen national school was closssed in the summer of 1980 as St Marys new national school was opened and it was merged with it. I went to St.Marys old national school and was in the last class to leave and go to secondery school. I understand that the old Killycreen national school is owned by the parish. It is a shame to see it go to waist.

If you cgo to www.flickr.com and serch for Ramelton or Killykreen (with the K instead of a c) you can see more images.

Advertisement