Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike purchase in Dublin ?

• 30-06-2010 5:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm looking to invest in a new or used bicycle. I'm interested in a road hybrid with front suspension. Would any of you fine people be able to recommend a store in Dublin or an online site that offers good value ? Also, I'm a giant! What size frame would be recommended for 6ft 6in ?

Thanks in advance,
    Lee.

P.S. I was hoping to spend somewhere in the region of €400-€500. Is this sufficient or should I be spending more?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'd forget about the front suspension at your price range.

You should be able to get a reasonable machine at that price, if you're only looking for a commuter and possibly something for the odd day trip.

If you can stretch your budget just a little and are looking for something built for speed more than cruising, this looks like a good buy:
    http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=31115

Otherwise, something more comfortable is this:
    http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=30396

These are fairly decent machines which will serve you well and can be upgraded piecemeal if the bug bites.

If you think straight up that you're going to be using it quite extensively, then you should probably up your budget to €800 to get a decent entry-level machine.

At 6'6", you're probably looking at a 62cm frame (or maybe bigger), but best to get fitted in the shop and try out bike sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭johnny-grunge

Thanks for the reply Seamus. I think I'll drop out to that store you recommended when I get a chance.

I would like a bike that performs well off raod but its primary use would be on paved surfaces.

I would be willing to up my budget a couple of hundred on the assumption that this bike would last me for the foreseeable future.

I like the look of this bike you recommended but would it be useless for light off-road use (i.e. around the hiking tracks at Glendalough) ?
    http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/p...dproduct=31115

Or would something lik ethis be a better purchase ?
    http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=32&idproduct=30445

Excuse my ignorance on the subject. I'm utterly clueless :)

Thanks again,
    Lee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Thanks for the reply Seamus. I think I'll drop out to that store you recommended when I get a chance.

I would like a bike that performs well off raod but its primary use would be on paved surfaces.

Primary use is pavement: how far will you be cycling on pavement? Commuting to work?

Offroad: define off road? Is this going down light dirt tracks? Is it "proper" offroading mountain biking?

If the bike's primary uses is road, get a a bike that suits the road. A good compromise between commuting and light dirt track use would be a cyclecross bike.

This is a road bike that is used for events that take place on light off road tracks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclo-cross

Example bike: http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=272&idproduct=30625

The roam you are looking at would be fine for very light off road use. Bear in mind while suspension is great off road, on road it slows you down and ideally if you do decide to get a front suspension bike it should have a "lock out" on the front fork, this is a little switch that allows you in enable or disable the suspension. You will want to disable the suspension on road as this saps energy from every peddel stroke you make if the suspension is active as it causes you and the bike to bob everytime you peddle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Kellys AXIS is another option just a tad over 500 euro bucks..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

I bought a Trek FX 7.3 last September from Joe Daly's in Dundrum. They retail for about €575. I've clocked up about 950 miles since then and have no regrets.

The vast majority of these miles were clocked up in the Dublin mountains and although lots of the "racer types" overtake me, I'm still very happy in the knowledge that I'm using up more energy in my Truck Trek over a given distance; it's a better, more concentrated form of exercise.

Trek don't allow their bikes to be sold mail-order so you'll have to buy from a Bricks & Mortar shop - there are lots of places that sell them.

Manufacturer's web site: http://www.trekbikes.com/uk/en/bikes/bike_path/fx/73fx/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

route66 wrote: »
    The vast majority of these miles were clocked up in the Dublin mountains and although lots of the "racer types" overtake me, I'm still very happy in the knowledge that I'm using up more energy in my Truck Trek over a given distance; it's a better, more concentrated form of exercise.

I'm not sure how true that is. I would have thought it is only true if you are doing a similar speed to them. I mean, I would probably use up the same energy on a 60km spin between a road bike and a hybrid, I don't put out more power because I am on a hybrid, I just go slower.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I'm not sure how true that is. I would have thought it is only true if you are doing a similar speed to them. I mean, I would probably use up the same energy on a 60km spin between a road bike and a hybrid, I don't put out more power because I am on a hybrid, I just go slower.

I have 2 problems with your answer:
    1. You are probably correct
    2. I'll have to think about buying a road bike now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I apologize in advance of any damage done to your credit card.

If you are happy on the Trek though, I don't see much reason to change. Unless seeing those lycra clad louts cruise past you fills you with deep seated rage, or you simply want to go faster for the same effort while also having a bit more fun in carving through corners at speed.

Thanks for all the replies. Very educational. Now to piece it all together and select a bike.

Thanks again,
    Lee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Hey I'm looking for a bike similar to what you're looking for in a similar price range, I've posted a list of bikes I'm considering here if you'd like to take a look.

• Advertisement

Great, I'll have a root through your list when I finish me eggs :)

Cheers.

uberpixie wrote: »
    The roam you are looking at would be fine for very light off road use. Bear in mind while suspension is great off road, on road it slows you down and ideally if you do decide to get a front suspension bike it should have a "lock out" on the front fork, this is a little switch that allows you in enable or disable the suspension. You will want to disable the suspension on road as this saps energy from every peddel stroke you make if the suspension is active as it causes you and the bike to bob everytime you peddle.

Ok, I have taken what has been said by various posters into account and chosen this bike.

http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=32046

Overall, I'm happy with the decision. The guy in the shop recommended a 62cm frame. The bike has a "lock out" on the front suspension and is reasonably light at 13kg.

Now I just have to get approved for the cycle to work scheme and I'm away!

Thanks again for the feedback. Very helpful in the decision making process.

Cheers,
    Lee.

Advertisement