Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Please

Options
  • 30-06-2010 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

Hi i have a 3 phase supply which i want to fit a changeover switch to, now the problem is the back up generator is single phase and i want to wire it so the generator runs one phase which all the important equipment is on , can this be done safely using a 2 pole changeover switch?Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

you'll need at least the 3 or 4-pole to break the lines/phases or 'all lives'
    of the esb supply to avoid risk of backfeed

you may be able to link L1,L2 and L3 on the genny side of the changover if all loads are single phase

i'm gone a bit rusty on the exact details-someone may know more specifics

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭grousedogtom

Yes thanks , do you know does the neutral have to be wired through the co switch , i would imagine it does incase polarity was reversed on gene?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

Yes thanks , do you know does the neutral have to be wired through the co switch , i would imagine it does incase polarity was reversed on gene?

gone a bit rusty on the genny side of things

i think 3-pole will prob do for pme

do you have any info on the genny and the loads

you may want an rcd on the genny for ADS depending on it's size/type etc

Advertisement