Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An Unusual One...

• 30-06-2010 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi,

OK...basically, I have missed the last 3 week's collections at the Post Office which, in my case, would mean being down E450. A little background...

I finished college last month, moved out to a new house with a few friends, went on the Dole and also applied for Emergency Dole. At the start of this month, when I was away for a few days, a letter came in the post from Social Welfare bascially saying that my Emergency Dole claim had been successful and that payments should be collected each week from my local Post Office. Due to my housemate moving the post, then not informing me of the letter that came when I was away, and my ignorance in not actively asking did anything come [it's still the only letter I've received in the new house, everything else still goes to the family home]... anyway, long story short I only saw this letter today. I went in to the Post Office who informed me that my next payment is due tomorrow but I probably stand to lose the previous weeks' payments, and that I should head out to Social Welfare and explain the situation.

I incidentally was out there last week to "sign on" as you normally do each month, but as I hadn't seen the aforementioned letter at that point, I just presumed my Emergency Dole claim was unsuccessful and was waiting for a lump sum in a few weeks' time.

I am also fully aware that each payment should be collected within roughly 3 working days at the Post Office before expiring, but is there anything that I could possibly say/do with Social Welfare in order to not lose the E450?

It's potentially a harsh penalty to pay for a little misunderstanding, and would result in me living on beans/toast and water for the next while. :)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

DGM wrote: »
    head out to Social Welfare and explain the situation.

Follow their advice

• Registered Users Posts: 38 DGM

Yes, but I'm just curious in that does anybody have an opinion on what their take on the matter would be? I won't be able to head out there until Friday...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭uoluol

Am totally confused as to what you mean by "emergency dole"???

If you are talking about a payment made by Social Welfare (and not the Community Welfare Officer) you need to make contact with SW pronto. If three consecutive payments are not collected from the post office the claim will automatically close. Not sure if CWO procedures are the same, but would imagine they are.

I'm afraid the onus is on you to keep any dept be that SW or CWO up to date with your circumstances ie change of address. Just tell the truth - that you didn't get your letter, your flatmate didn't pass it on. And make sure you bring in proof of your new address.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 DGM

Cheers for the reply. Yeah, the letter I got was from the Community Welfare Department / Officer.

"Emergency Dole" was the term used by the the clerk in the Social Welfare office; it's just a way for people who are going on the Dole to get their money quicker rather than one lump sum in a few months time.

Re: cutting off people. Well, I guess I'll know tomorrow if my cheque in the Post Office isn't waiting. From what I have heard / read on this forum though, being put back on the Dole if cut off isn't much of an issue; you just prove that your circumstances are what you say they are again. [proof of address, etc.].

It's the E450 that I think I will have a problem in getting. Going to head out to there Friday either way, tell them what happened and see what they say.

Advertisement