Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bread Flour

Options
  • 30-06-2010 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I am following this recipe here: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4683/pizza-margherita-in-4-easy-steps and it says that I require bread flour.

I could not find bread flour in Dunnes. I could only find: OdlSodBreMix2.jpg

Odlums white soda bread mix.

Is this the same thing, or where can I find strong bread flour,

thanks,

Kevin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Kevin! wrote: »
    I could not find bread flour in Dunnes. I could only find: Odlums white soda bread mix.

Is this the same thing, or where can I find strong bread flour,
    No it's not the same thing at all. What you're looking for is Odlums STRONG White Flour. It has an orange label where your bag has a blue one, and you should be able to get it in Dunnes as well. Ask if they'll exchange it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You need spelt flour.
    Most of the big supermarket will have it, you'll find it in the bakery section and usually in a white packet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Thaedydal wrote: »
    You need spelt flour.
    Most of the big supermarket will have it, you'll find it in the bakery section and usually in a white packet.

Why do you assume spelt flour is correct. I know it can be substituted in a lot of recipes but its not the same as standard strong flour.

It is also not what I would recommend to a beginner.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,050 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Much as I like spelt, I'll add my voice to the op needing 'Strong White Flour'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It's a good all round strong flour, why do you think it's not to be recommended to a beginner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Used the strong white flour, and the pizzas were delish.

cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Strong flour is recommended for working with Yeast..as it contains more protein which forms gluten when mixed with water.
    also use it for making high éclairs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Thaedydal wrote: »
    It's a good all round strong flour, why do you think it's not to be recommended to a beginner?

Maybe you have a good source of easy to use spelt flour, but a lot of spelt
    flour has a different gluten content than stong white flour and reacts
    differently in recipes. It is also not readily available in supermarkets.

If someone has never baked yeast bread before, I dont think advising them
    that they should try to find spelt flour and expect it to work in their
    recipe is the right advice.

I think that the OP should start with strong white flour and if they have
    time and interest, move onto speciality flour.

Advertisement