Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent - Do you know a motorbike driver who wears horns on his helmet????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

alright_meow.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

galwaytt wrote: »
    Riding on the wrong side of the road is neither polite, sensible, nor frankly, safe. Fine if you don't give a toss about your own life, but don't go taking anyone else's whilst you're at it.......

Actually, riding on the wrong side of the road makes you a tosser of the highest order.

...And, last time I checked, you only use mirrors for traffic coming from behind, not oncoming traffic, no matter what lane you're in.....

I don't know why people are taking an affront to the OP's call for help - there is nothing here to suggest that his post is anything other than legit. And I say this as a biker, btw, a h-d one, even.........so I know both sides.

I've even been assaulted by a car driver, who got out of his car, in traffic, when he took umbrage at being overtaken by a Vespa.....

Irrespective of why, assault is assault, and he should be shopped. End of.

The only thing I could disagree with there is the use of a phrase like 'End of.' !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭T-Square

celticbest wrote: »
    If you drive around with horns on your helmet I think this says a lot about the person........

You post says a lot about you, none of it good.

Until the biker posts a response, this argument is one-sided, and pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭drBill

Picture the scene. Biker goes to overtake, pulls out. A car a good bit off in the distance starts flashing high beams because the biker is on their side of the road and they are incapable of judging distances and speeds. So he completes the maneuver, gets flashed/blinded again by the car driver for good measure as he goes by and gets pissed off.

Then you have a biker who was being blinded during a overtake turning around and going after the car. The prick part comes in with the smashing of the mirror and riding off.

Just to bring a bit of balance here lets propose another view:

The car driver was on his way home to write some cheques for the poor having dropped some childrens toys off at the orphanage.
    As he proceeds along the road within the speed limit, with seatbelt securely fastened, mobile phone turned off and hands in the 10-2 position on the steering wheel he is alarmed to see a motorcycle rapidly approaching him on his side of the road.
    Concerned that driver of said motorcycle may not be able to see him, he flashes his lights to alert the motorcyclist of his presence.
    Luckily a collision is averted and the car driver offers up a silent prayer of thanks for the continued safety of himself and the motorcyclist.
    Imagine his horror then when shortly afterwards the motor cyclist reappears in his rear view mirror, pursues him for a kilometer, smashes his rear view mirror, then speeds off.

As I say, just to bring a bit of balance to the newly revealed facts that
    - there was a good bit of distance between bike and car
    - the car driver was incapable of judging distances and speeds
    - the car driver flashed his lights both while the motorcyclist was on his side of the road and after he had moved back in
    - the car headlights were so powerful as to blind the motorcyclist.
    Hopefully I haven't overdone it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

drBill wrote: »

I think you hit the nail on the head. You must have been there ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Picture the scene. Biker goes to overtake, pulls out. A car a good bit off in the distance starts flashing high beams because the biker is on their side of the road and they are incapable of judging distances and speeds. So he completes the maneuver, gets flashed/blinded again by the car driver for good measure as he goes by and gets pissed off.

Then you have a biker who was being blinded during a overtake turning around and going after the car. The prick part comes in with the smashing of the mirror and riding off.
    +1
    jameshayes wrote: »
    But what possible reason is there for the bike to be on the wrong side of the road... just smells fishy to me... why - unless he wanted to die would he put him self in the line of another car..?
    KamiKazi wrote: »
    +1

OP could very well be telling the truth, just doesn't add up for me.

All irrelevent: the act of damage is not excused by anything. Worse, what if OP had lost control and crashed as a result of the mirror-action ? And, say, drove over the rider in question, in the process ?
    KamiKazi wrote: »
    Let's not open that can of worms.
    Nothing to open. The damage is done.
    cantdecide wrote: »
    There's a Corsa in Cork lucky to have it's mirror this morning. ....and for reasons known only to himself, he changed lanes and I nearly rear ended him. I have no idea how I missed him.

Now I was bloody tempted to react but I didn't. Well, I just held my arm out to say 'WTF are you doing?'.
    ****ty thing to do, I agree, and the sentiment re his mirror I understand completely. But that's just it, there's a line between the sentiment and the action, which is +1 you, tbh. Don't forget, you can report his number too, btw..

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

galwaytt wrote: »
    Riding on the wrong side of the road is neither polite, sensible, nor frankly, safe. Fine if you don't give a toss about your own life, but don't go taking anyone else's whilst you're at it.......

Actually, riding on the wrong side of the road makes you a tosser of the highest order.

...And, last time I checked, you only use mirrors for traffic coming from behind, not oncoming traffic, no matter what lane you're in.....

I don't know why people are taking an affront to the OP's call for help - there is nothing here to suggest that his post is anything other than legit. And I say this as a biker, btw, a h-d one, even.........so I know both sides.

I've even been assaulted by a car driver, who got out of his car, in traffic, when he took umbrage at being overtaken by a Vespa.....

Irrespective of why, assault is assault, and he should be shopped. End of.

I don't think you see the problem here. We are getting the story from one person. There a lot of variables here and you will forgive me if you if I'm not quick to assume a biker just kicked off a mirror for fun or because someone flashed him.
    pa990 wrote: »
    no matter what happened.. it doesn't justify causing criminal damage

If any Garda are reading, this next bit is hypothetical:pac:
    If someone almost killed me because they couldn't open their eyes, a small bit of criminal damage doesn't concern me. If it does enforce stereotypes then so be it, but maybe next time the car driver will be more weary of bikers incase he is going to loose another mirror.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

drBill wrote: »
    Just to bring a bit of balance here lets propose another view:

The car driver was on his way home to write some cheques for the poor having dropped some childrens toys off at the orphanage.
    As he proceeds along the road within the speed limit, with seatbelt securely fastened, mobile phone turned off and hands in the 10-2 position on the steering wheel he is alarmed to see a motorcycle rapidly approaching him on his side of the road.
    Concerned that driver of said motorcycle may not be able to see him, he flashes his lights to alert the motorcyclist of his presence.
    Luckily a collision is averted and the car driver offers up a silent prayer of thanks for the continued safety of himself and the motorcyclist.
    Imagine his horror then when shortly afterwards the motor cyclist reappears in his rear view mirror, pursues him for a kilometer, smashes his rear view mirror, then speeds off.

As I say, just to bring a bit of balance to the newly revealed facts that
    - there was a good bit of distance between bike and car
    - the car driver was incapable of judging distances and speeds
    - the car driver flashed his lights both while the motorcyclist was on his side of the road and after he had moved back in
    - the car headlights were so powerful as to blind the motorcyclist.

My post was in response to Kami and JamesHayes comments saying that the original post doesn't add up. It doesn't.

I portrayed a scene which would fill both category, pissed off biker and innocent motorist. I'm sure there are a few others. But bikers don't go through the effort of driving down the wrong side of the road(because he would by now be dead), following cars that disagree with it(everybody) and then kicking their mirrors off at speed(death wish for biker).

There are large parts of this story missing and I have no intention of helping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

I don't think you see the problem here. We are getting the story from one person. There a lot of variables here and you will forgive me if you if I'm not quick to assume a biker just kicked off a mirror for fun or because someone flashed him.

+1 to this. When the statistic of car drivers being to blame in 70% plus of accidents involving a car and a motorbike starts to drop, I'll start giving the benefit of the doubt to car drivers coming along with "I didn't do nuthin'" stories.
    If someone almost killed me because they couldn't open their eyes, a small bit of criminal damage doesn't concern me. If it does enforce stereotypes then so be it, but maybe next time the car driver will be more weary of bikers incase he is going to loose another mirror.

Either that or he thinks - because he may not even be aware of what he's done wrong - that all bikers are dangerous nutcases, and starts driving more aggressively around them? I doubt knocking off a mirror will make a driver any more careful, but I can understand that someone almost killed because a driver couldn't be bothered to glance in their mirror might react (not directed at the OP, just a statement in general).

Hell, see the amount of stereotyping done by drivers when it comes to different makes of cars - now consider a non biker stereotyping bikers, it's even worse.

There are large parts of this story missing and I have no intention of helping.

My sentiments exactly - if he genuinely came here hoping someone would know the biker and tell him who it was on the basis of that story, he went about it the wrong way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

well.. if someone on a bike kicked off a wing mirror, the driver might loose control of the car and accidentally collide with them.
    perfectible understandable for someone who is in shock

maybe the guys on bikes should bear that in mind

and yes i do drive a bike, and am aware of the dangers on the roads by cars aka cages,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

MikeC101 wrote: »
    Either that or he thinks - because he may not even be aware of what he's done wrong - that all bikers are dangerous nutcases, and starts driving more aggressively around them? I doubt knocking off a mirror will make a driver any more careful, but I can understand that someone almost killed because a driver couldn't be bothered to glance in their mirror might react (not directed at the OP, just a statement in general).

I see your point but there is also the other side of that (and imo bigger), drivers think bikers are nutcases and give them a wide birth. The fact is car drivers couldn't be much more aggressive to bikers than they are now short of mowing them down on purpose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭EGOSHEA

Alternatively, they may just come to think that bikers are a violent sub-section of motorists, might even become less careful towards them, and - if they are **** drivers already (and I'm not addressing the OP here) - not be likely to become any better as a result of a kicked mirror. I see where you're coming from to some extent though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

This thread for the most part is bullsh!t. I believe the OP after all if he was the one being a muppet why would he contact the Gardai and have cctv pulled?

Everyone here is quick to jump to the bikers defense and slow to acknowledge that muppets, tossers and bad drivers are not exclusive to cars.

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    This thread for the most part is bullsh!t. I believe the OP after all if he was the one being a muppet why would he contact the Gardai and have cctv pulled?

Because he's
    a) Completely unaware of what he did wrong that caused the biker to react like that.
    b) Aware of what he did wrong, but knows it won't be on CCTV footage from 1km down the road, and is being vindictive
    c) Completely in the right.

Lots of possibilities...he was only asked for more information.
    Everyone here is quick to jump to the bikers defense and slow to acknowledge that muppets, tossers and bad drivers are not exclusive to cars.

I don't think anyone thinks that bikers are never in the wrong - there are plenty of bad bikers - the difference being that the ones on bikes tend to only kill / injure themselves, the ones in cars have a nasty habit of taking out other people due to their incompetence.

I see your point but there is also the other side of that (and imo bigger), drivers think bikers are nutcases and give them a wide birth. The fact is car drivers couldn't be much more aggressive to bikers than they are now short of mowing them down on purpose.

I do understand why someone would be angry enough to react like this - the last time I was, a jeep pulled out of his driveway straight onto the road in front of me, mobile phone stuck to his ear, didn't look left or right, with his window down. Luckily I'd seen into his driveway (there was a gap in the bushes that lined it) and dropped speed, suspecting (the mobile is always a bad sign) he might do exactly that. I beeped at him, he glanced over, sneered at me, and continued pulling out. Had I been any closer I would have reached in the window, and thrown his phone down the road - it's the angriest I've ever been, and I'm not usually confrontational at all. I should have gone into the house he'd come out of and told them. Probably wouldn't have done any good, but you never know.

It's the sheer arrogance of a driver that decides that my life isn't worth them taking their attention away from their phone call, or to take a second to check their mirrors, or blindspot, that fires up the anger.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭BrokenSpiral

Some very interesting reponses there! I was hoping that the sheer stupidity and potential danger of what the biker did would get most members of this forum wanting that guy off the road, as much as everyone wants all of the muppet car drivers off the road!

For all of the "The OP must have done something wrong" people, you have to just accept that I did not. I am an extraordinarily safe driver and very bike aware while driving.

For everyone who thinks that there is ANY justification for what the motorbike did then you need your heads examined.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the idiot on the bike thought he was perfectly within his rights to be on the wrong side of the road and if KTRIC knows him, or anyone else, then they really should do the right thing and call the Gardai with the information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

2vt13kz.jpg

To all of those posters who are getting hung up on the fact that the biker smashed the glass in the drivers mirror.

Let me just point out that it is clear,
    that none of your have ever had your life under threat,
    at the hands of a car driver.

To any more posters who want to complain about the barbaric
    actions of a biker, don't even think about it, until your have nearly lost your life.

T-Square wrote: »
    To all of those posters who are getting hung up on the fact that the biker smashed the glass in the drivers mirror.

actions of a biker, don't even think about it, until your have nearly lost your life.
    TBH that post is just pure rubbish, and illustrates a siege mentality that is unwarranted.

TBH that post is just pure rubbish, and illustrates a siege mentality that is unwarranted.

You clearly haven't experienced it.
    Because if you did, you would know that it is not rubbish.

• Advertisement

You clearly haven't experienced it.
    Because if you did, you would know that it is not rubbish.
    So because one has not experienced it they cannot comment on it? Or complain about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,529 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

In this circumstance the correct course of action is to do exactly what the original poster did, which is to refer the matter to the Gardai. Anything else is just ludicrous and doesn't serve any purpose. If you saw a drunk driver swerving all over the road, would you smash his mirror and drive off too?

In this circumstance the correct course of action is to do exactly what the original poster did, which is to refer the matter to the Gardai. Anything else is just ludicrous and doesn't serve any purpose. If you saw a drunk driver swerving all over the road, would you smash his mirror and drive off too?

I don't condone smashing up wing mirrors or beating people up. It solves nothing really. But its horrendously depressing to have heart stopping moments a few times a year and know that the pure absolute ignorance and arrogance of the person in the car who missed you by inches will continue unabated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

So because one has not experienced it they cannot comment on it? Or complain about it?

I have a neighbour. She has been a learner for 2 years. She won't practise. She won't get lessons. She won't apply for tests. She refuses to learn to drive any further than the bare minimum to get her arse around the country. Driving well is something that other people do.

When I hear her bumping into walls and revving the nuts off the engine, it makes me incredibly mad that I learned to drive properly for her safety but she won't return the favour.

This is the nature of the anger you experience when you've been nearly bowled off your bike by an oblivious idiot.

But from the information we have the OP was not an oblivious idiot.

But from the information we have the OP was not an oblivious idiot.

And from many years of the internet I have gotten to the point where I take everything with a grain of salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

OP, wait along the same stretch of road at the same time for a few days and there's a good chance you'll see him again.

Then drive up and have a mate kick off his wing mirrors.

depends on the comment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,529 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

But its horrendously depressing to have heart stopping moments a few times a year and know that the pure absolute ignorance and arrogance of the person in the car who missed you by inches will continue unabated.
    I have been in this situation many times (some of them in a car). What do you think will have the most positive impact:
    a) Smash their wing mirror, cluck loudly, shake your fist, and drive off with the red mist descending (don't go to the Gardai, because you have now committed a crime and don't want to self-incriminate).
    b) Go to the Gardai, and hope they will act in the public's best interests and send someone around to talk to the individual in question.

All we have managed to do on this thread is to demonstrate that we are a bunch or arseholes who are every bit as bad as the life-threatening drivers, and feel justified taking the law into our own hands (not for self-preservation, but for revenge) when things go wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement