Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Murray gets the 9AM slot on Radio One..

• 30-06-2010 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭

At last I can listen to the 9-10am slot on Radio One again... :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

Mr Business? He wont get many business folks at 9am :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

this may be interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Up the Dubs :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

Badabing wrote: »
    Up the Dubs :D

they were very quiet Sunday....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Disasterville!!

Won't work, John 'I'm a Dub' Murray won't connect with the rest of Ireland.

Hasn't got the chutzpah and tries too hard.

Anyone who is soooo Dub as to shorten the long vowels..... Seán pronounced 'Shon' and 'fault' pronounced 'folt' has nooooo chance.

Over and out. won't work.

Sorry John.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

Have to differ there Senor Bantam.
    That 9 to 10 slot does well regardless of the talent in the chair. It comes after Morning Ireland and the 9 am news on Radio 1. Numbers of in excess of 300,000 will be there even if a flatulent monkey were to host it.
    It's left on between MI and Today with PK in the same way that Ronan Collins does good numbers between Pat Kenny and News at One.
    That Tubridy show wouldn't have been a universal favourite in the provinces either but it did okay numbers wise and it's a numbers game these days.

Murray wouldn't be my cuppa but I think it'll do fine.

It's Tubridy that has the hard job in all of this I think but I'll happily eat the hat if he's a roaring success and continue to listen to my internet radio for some quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭uvox

I think it will work. He's informed, personable, chatty, off the cuff, engaging enough with a diverse range of people. Good luck to him.

And more importantly, he's not Anton Savage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

I thought he was good when he filled in for Marian one Saturday. Or was it PK, ... think it was Marian. But he was good whatever show it was... And anyway, he's gonna be 1000 times more bearable than listening to the pretentious D4 morning show with Tubridy going on about Kennedy and his fukn books..

Uuuuhm... you all know he was Ms Harneys Press Advisor and involved in the GIS as well.

Not as much man of the people as you might think.

Bit of baggage perhaps, much like Tubs:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭kpbdublin

This is a clever appointment. Murray is an original broadcaster who will inject some humour into the schedule between Morning Ireland and Pat Kenny. Both are good programmes, but listeners need a break from NAMA dama ding dongs.
    Ryan was quite good in the slot, but concentrated too much on nostalgia themes rather than good stories. He relies too much on thirtysomething people-like-me from inside the beltway and never really connected with middle Ireland in the same way that Gay Byrne did.
    I am sure RTE bosses would have been impressed by Murray's huge audience on Sat mornings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

I never thought of Murray - nice choice from RTE.
    What I am thinking is that there is a mix of people for & against him taking the slot on here...but if you recall back to when Tom Dunne took the post in Newstalk, well the majority of people on here thought that would be a great move. I think that most people on the radio forum can't stand his show now. So it is best that Murray is not 100% welcomed - I think he will work, maybe not initially, but he will find his niche and present a good entertaining show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hmmmm, whats the contents?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

Ah Mike, you and your sceptic cap ;)

This is taken from the RTE site
    Murray, who is well-known to listeners of 'Morning Ireland', will host a one hour daily show in the 9am to 10 am slot.

'The John Murray Show' will focus on lifestyle and entertainment items, aiming for a strong emphasis on human-interest stories.

The new programme will fill the slot vacated by Ryan Tubridy, who was recently confirmed as the new presenter for RTÉ 2fm's flagship morning show.

Murray said of the show: "The challenges don't come much bigger than this but it's a challenge I take on with relish."

"I hope the experience I've gained on 'Morning Ireland' and 'The Business will give me what it takes to command the 9.00 to 10.00 am slot, to create good, captivating radio, and build on the already strong listenership in the slot. It's going to be fun, on-air and off. I'm delighted to front this new show."

Pat Kenny said: "I am thrilled that John Murray will be entertaining us all between 9 and 10. I'm a big fan."

Ana Leddy, Head of RTÉ Radio 1, said: "With John Murray we have a presenter of immense expertise and a singularly laconic humour who will be a hit both with the listeners who know him and those who will soon get to know him well."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Through gritted teeth Pat Kenny said: "I am thrilled that John Murray will be entertaining us all between 9 and 10. I'm a big fan."

FYP ;)

Sounds thoroughly unexciting not to say quite dull. I'll give it go then.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭dambarude

That's a surprise. And a nice surprise at that. At least they're not moving Joe Duffy into the slot, the would have been painful. Some of John Murray's 'jokes' may not be the best, but overall he's a good presenter. I'll miss his program on Saturdays. I'm guessing that this will mean that George Lee stays on Saturday mornings full time? Could that have been a factor in Murray's relocation?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 noiseannoys

uvox wrote: »
    I think it will work. He's informed, personable, chatty, off the cuff, engaging enough with a diverse range of people. Good luck to him.

And more importantly, he's not Anton Savage.

Yep, that's accurate enough, I'd say:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

Plowman wrote: »

Have to agree. He's become far too irritable and opinionated on Liveline, though you cant blame him for getting annoyed at those pesky callers, consistently ringing in and interrupting the flow of his soap box hyperbole. If you gave him that show at 9am he would feel vindicated, and it would no doubt become a left wing opinion piece. This from the highest paid "working class" man in the country (even higher paid than the union leaders).

It's nice to see someone rewarded for doing a good show. This hasnt happened in RTE for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

Plowman wrote: »
    LOL..I thought I'd elaborate your point for you..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Phew. I'm glad it's not Eamonn Keane :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I love John Murray's The Business show and he was extremely capable when he filled in for Marian while she was off on one of her many excursions. I'll miss him on Morning Ireland, which I listen to every morning. He'll be more enjoyable to listen to than Tubridy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Have to agree. He's become far too irritable and opinionated on Liveline, though you cant blame him for getting annoyed at those pesky callers, consistently ringing in and interrupting the flow of his soap box hyperbole. If you gave him that show at 9am he would feel vindicated, and it would no doubt become a left wing opinion piece. This from the highest paid "working class" man in the country (even higher paid than the union leaders).

It's nice to see someone rewarded for doing a good show. This hasnt happened in RTE for a while.

He isn't really 'left wing' though!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

I'm pretty happy with the appointment...may take him some time but I feel he will settle in eventually.

Has a good pleasant radio voice and presenting style.

The alternative...Dufficer / Savage / Leahy......:eek:

I wish the guy all the best.

I'm beginning to get the feeling more and more that Murray got that slot to make room for George 'FG' Lee in the business slot on Sat.

I'll give him a chance but the auld Doob accent will get to me I'm sure.

Advertisement