Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is petrol & Diesel going up Tommorow for good ?

• 30-06-2010 6:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭

Got a text to say buy today as new Government Energy Bill Tomorrow, what's happening? Are we about to get the loving sqeeze from the greens again?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

you're not serious are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Yup, sobermonkey at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

First Ive heard about this. Cant find anything online to suggest it is either.

The UK had their budget recently so you sure its not them thats getting a price increase in fuel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

Yup, sobermonkey at the moment

I hope not but i cant find anything about this. Where did you see it? I'm spending about €100 a week on petrol at the moment!

I get a text every week from motor check, the text today said.
    "Buy Today!!*Due to new Government Energy Bill, prices from tomorrow: Petrol: 131.45 & Diesel: 126.07c"

I can't find anything on line either:confused:

• Advertisement

Id be delighted if petrol was 131 from tomorrow; at the moment Im paying 134-136!!!

djimi wrote: »
    Id be delighted if petrol was 131 from tomorrow; at the moment Im paying 134-136!!!

get your self one of these, you need to set it up direct debit and it's taken out of your account once a month, every little penny helps http://www.motorcheck.ie/fuelcard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I get a text every week from motor check, the text today said.
    "Buy Today!!*Due to new Government Energy Bill, prices from tomorrow: Petrol: 131.45 & Diesel: 126.07c"

I can't find anything on line either:confused:

If thats true then petrol is dropping and diesel staying about the same.

petrol gone from 130.72 last week to 131.45 this week
    diesel gone from 125.41 last week to 126.07 this week

Petrol looks like it's gone up more in the last 7 days.

Compare those prices to 1 month ago (28th of May)
    Petrol 127.48
    Diesel 120.58

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Do them cards cost ya anything extra no?

• Advertisement

No, just means you have to go to topaz but you pay a fixed weekly rate not the one at the pumps. Texaco also have one I don't know what their prices are like, It's free to get the card, you can also buy oil and car wash with it.

Nice idea, but I think if I saw what I spent on a weekly/monthly basis Id probably have a nervous breakdown!

The price of petrol has been pretty static around here for a while now. I havent paid 130 in a good while for petrol. For the past couple of months it seems to be in or around 134.

It made me buy a diesel, gone from spending 350 to 120 a month. Little loan to change the car is costing me 120pm, still saving 100 with a newer car.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

No, just means you have to go to topaz but you pay a fixed weekly rate not the one at the pumps. Texaco also have one I don't know what their prices are like, It's free to get the card, you can also buy oil and car wash with it.

How exactly does it work? How is the rate chosen?

I don't really know, you get a text every week telling you to either buy today or wait until tommorow, all I know it's 5cent a liter cheaper than my local topaz.
    I filled up today as it's a bit cheaper than doing it tommorow, it's nearly always cheaper than price you see advertised in the garage, it's pretty close to tesco prices only a tiny bit cheaper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

I stand to be corrected, but Topaz have never had a cheap fuel day in their lives.....

As for fuel going up, there is a wholesale increase of approx 1.5 cent ex vat on both derv and ulp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Got a text to say buy today as new Government Energy Bill Tomorrow, what's happening? Are we about to get the loving sqeeze from the greens again?

Yes, petrol and diesel will be going up by about one or two cent per litre tomorrow. :mad:

This energy bill requires petrol and diesel to contail a minimum of 5% of fuel derived from renewable resources.
    The cost of producing fuel from renewable resources is a lot more than from fossil fuel.

So, yes, we are about to get the love sqeeze from the greens again. :mad:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I'm all for helping the environment but give people a choice. Either pay more for the normal crap or pay less for the environmental crap. People can stomach a choice more more than they can been told what to do

P.C. wrote: »
    Yes, petrol and diesel will be going up by about one or two cent per litre tomorrow. :mad:

Where did you find that information, google has nothing to say about it, is it the usual government trick of giving the bad news on a friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Where did you find that information, google has nothing to say about it, is it the usual government trick of giving the bad news on a friday.

Either way I just filled up. Can't stand giving them any extra.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

This energy bill requires petrol and diesel to contail a minimum of 5% of fuel derived from renewable resources.
    The cost of producing fuel from renewable resources is a lot more than from fossil fuel.
    So, what about Maxol's E5 and all the other unleaded which already contains 5% ethanol but doesn't say it on the label?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

So, yes, we are about to get the love sqeeze from the greens again. :mad:

It also diverts food into fuel stock thereby increasing the cost of staples in less developed countries. It's a good job global warming isn't a world wide event and Ireland using a little less fossil fuel will will save us all, that's if you even believe that we have anything to do with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Please, let's not get into this. Basic problem is over-population of the world and growing anything other than the most intensive of crops can be seen as denying food to someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭North Cork

The increases from 12am 1st July 2010

Petrol up .46c net .55c vat inc

Diesel up 1.15c net 1.39c vat inc

This is to cover the costs of the bio element and also the capital costs associated with the new machinery refinery's installed to process the bio.

More money for the oil companies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

Try here:

http://www.pumps.ie/viewPost.php?Post_ID=417

And here:

http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/NR/rdonlyres/EC1AD24F-304F-4894-85C1-865715A6DE70/0/BiofuelsObligationScheme.pdf

And I am not getting into a debate about wether it is a good or bad thing.
    This is something that the current government has brought in, not me.

I wouldnt really read too much into what pumps.ie say

their costings etc are usually well off. They seen to just use a platts index as gospel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

North Cork wrote: »
    The increases from 12am 1st July 2010

Petrol up .46c net .55c vat inc

Diesel up 1.15c net 1.39c vat inc

This is to cover the costs of the bio element and also the capital costs associated with the new machinery refinery's installed to process the bio.

More money for the oil companies

Sounds like BS, Hammertime has been swearing that everything is E5 for nearly 2 years now. Refineries dont process Ethanol, its blended in later.
    Also whats the Ethanol component taxed at? One might suggest its taxed cheaper than the ULP bit, which would reduce the cost, not increase it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Bodhan

get your self one of these, you need to set it up direct debit and it's taken out of your account once a month, every little penny helps http://www.motorcheck.ie/fuelcard

Do you not have to pay a fee to have that card?

Bodhan wrote: »
    Do you not have to pay a fee to have that card?

no fee they just send it out and you can use it straight away..i

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Those cards are rubbish as are most of these so-calle fuel card. The Topaz card this week is 131.02 for petrol & 125.71 for diesel. DCI is 124.15 for diesel this week. I can get petrol for 130.9 and diesel for 120.9 locally. On a trip to Tipp last week I came across at least 4 outlets who were selling diesel at 118.9. Cards are handy, but thats about all you can say about them at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

If the "new Government Energy Bill" doesn't put the price of fuel up it looks like BP's fcuk up in the Gulf certainly will according to this.

Those cards are rubbish as are most of these so-calle fuel card. The Topaz card this week is 131.02 for petrol & 125.71 for diesel. DCI is 124.15 for diesel this week. I can get petrol for 130.9 and diesel for 120.9 locally. On a trip to Tipp last week I came across at least 4 outlets who were selling diesel at 118.9. Cards are handy, but thats about all you can say about them at the moment.

Depends where you live I suppose. Petrol in Naas is about 134 at the moment. Im not sure what price it is in Topaz in Kill but if I thought Id get it for 3-4c cheaper then Id head out there to fill up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

just paid 1.309 today in Sligo, prices ranging though at a glance from 1.29 to 1.34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭Motorcheck

Hi all, just thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. The value of the card really depends on where you're living and what the local stations are charging. That's why we send out the text - so you can decide yourself whether to use the card or pay cash.

Don't forget about the 20 Euro gift card though. The first group of which will be making their way out to cardholders later this month http://www.motorcheck.ie/blog/cheap-petrol-diesel/

No increase in price at any of the stations Ive seen so far today anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Unfortunately there is a small increase in petrol & diesel due to the added refinery cost of adding green gormleys bit of biofuel to the mixture.

The good news is today, oil prices have fallen $4 and the dollar has weakend by 3c - rare do both of these things happen in tandem.

This will see 3c / 4c come off retail prices in about 2 weeks.

Out of the current 1.34 price, 46c goes for cost of fuel, 10 c av goes to retailer / distributor combined and the balance goes to government to pay bills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Still haven;t seen a price diference up here. Still fairly easy to find diesel at €1.19 to €1.22. It does seem a lot of people are paying way too much for it. Which kinda makes life harder for the rest of us! :mad:

djimi wrote: »
    No increase in price at any of the stations Ive seen so far today anyway.

Same as me. Got a fill up on Monday at 128.9 and it was the same today

Fuel is coming down from Midnight Friday, Derv by 1.1c, ulp by .6c

Should mean that the bio increases never hit the pumps.

HT

Advertisement