Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change by Red Mills Leader

Options
  • 30-06-2010 6:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

Red Mills Leader have not only improved their website but have changed their ingredients too. Also instead of listing ingredient categories like animal derivatives they have started to list the actual ingredients used. (Maybe they couldn't do that in the past because their ingredients were crap?) I always thought "good" dog food companies were upfront with their ingredients, used quality ingredients and very rarely changed them.

I used to use Red Mills Leader a couple of years ago and although my dogs liked the food they went to the toilet frequently and their stools were very loose.

I sent an email to Red Mills asking them did they change their ingredients and this is the response I got:-

"Paul

Many thanks for your query. We are continuously making
    improvements to our Leader range, so some ingredients are new.
    Also we changed from declaring ingredient categories to
    declaring individual ingredients which would explain why the
    list of ingredients will look different. This will also give
    a more accurate reflection of whats present in the food.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Eugene Brennan"

I was just wondering if many people used the new Red Mills Leader and how their dogs liked it? (And do they go to the toilet alot and what are their stools like!!!)

(I am curious because Red Mills Leader is cheaper than alot of the other dog foods.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Have used Red Mills before not sure if it was leader..the one that was in a blue bag.
    Found it ok was on a tight budget for a few months so had to switch to a cheaper brand, I didn't find it as good as the Burns but it certainly wasn't all that bad no runny poos from the collie but our other dog has a sensative tum so couldn't use it for her.

It's certainly better than ped chum and the like.

It's great they have started to list all their ingredients.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

paultf wrote: »
    Red Mills Leader have not only improved their website but have changed their ingredients too. Also instead of listing ingredient categories like animal derivatives they have started to list the actual ingredients used. (Maybe they couldn't do that in the past because their ingredients were crap?)

'Animal Derivatives' is sort of an ingredient. 'Meat Derivatives' are mostly whats left of carcases when anything consumable by humans has been taken. Animal Derivatives are made up mostly of factoried horses (the whole animal, horn, skin, contents of the digestive system and all) However it also contains anything collected by animal collection services including any livestock that died as opposed to being factoried, road kill, pets people think they are sending off by the 'correct' method of disposal, not to mention 2 foxes the dogs at work found which apeared to have been poisioned by something. I know the local guy has 150 miles to drive to the factory so he collects them in a small lorry, and transfers them to a larger lorry (all year including mid-summer :rolleyes:) and takes the big lorry once a fortnight. It's all boiled up to 280 degrees, let cool and either put in cans with jelly or dried and ground to go into dry food. Bit graffic there, but that's what it is :p Wouldn't touch it with a barge-pole personally. Be particularly carefull of anything containing animal derivatives that says its steamed as opposed to boiled (eg. ceasar - which had a massive recall recently) The boiling to that heat is what kills the nasties!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Have used Red Mills before not sure if it was leader..the one that was in a blue bag.
    Found it ok was on a tight budget for a few months so had to switch to a cheaper brand, I didn't find it as good as the Burns but it certainly wasn't all that bad no runny poos from the collie but our other dog has a sensative tum so couldn't use it for her.

It's certainly better than ped chum and the like.

It's great they have started to list all their ingredients.

I think the one in the blue bag is red mills winner, leader is in green bags I think. Winner is lower quality than leader I think.
    I had to use half a bag of winner about a year ago when they ran out of his usual stuff, to be honest I can't remember there being much difference in him but he was only on it for 2 weeks max. If I had to change I definetely would choose red mills leader over the likes of pedigree.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Bookkeeper09

I started feeding my 8 month old Retriever Red Mills Leader Puppy about 4 weeks ago and have had no problems with it. Jess has no problem eating it and her stools are fine.
    She was previously on James Well Beloved and her stools were very loose and also she was never a fan of it.
    Tried her on Burns and Scienceplan but she just turned her nose up at both.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭Antoennis

Dog food I find interesting. I have two dogs and was feeding Burns but it didn't agree with one of the dogs. so i done a fair bit of research into all the different types and ingredients. The ingredients list has to start with what the biggest ingredient usually a filler like seaweed or some other type of grain. The further down the list the meat content is the less meat is actually in it.

Meat Derivatives for anybody who cares for their dog should be a big no no. It really is anything and everything mixed up together. Neither do i agree that your dog has to be on holistic food. It is more important to have a better idea what exactly is in it. Meat meal would be much better for dogs than derivatives. It basically has less of the crap in it. I have changed my two dogs on to Wagg worker the top two ingredients in it is wheat & meat meal it costs me €15.99 for 17kg. Some dog foods say they shouldn't have wheat in dog food. I have not found any reason why not, unless your dog is allergic to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Bookkeeper09

I had requested a sample of red mills leader puppy large breed via the redmills website a couple of weeks ago. I received it in the post yesterday but also received a €10 voucher off a 15kg bag!

Advertisement