Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Options after Medicine.... Human Health & Disease, Physio, Pharma..?

Options
  • 30-06-2010 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭

It's Wednesday! Where the hell did that come from? I'm filling out my change of mind on my CAO tonight. In all likelihood I'll sooner repeat than take a course other than Medicine but I want to keep all options open with regards to Grad Entry.

I was thinking Human Health & Disease although I've heard on boards it's not a good idea? I also have Physio down (yeah, I know, no jobs...but I figured good grounding in anatomy) and also Occupational Therapy. But I'm really considering moving Science up there, especially in Galway because then I can try both Physiology and Anatomy and major in one, or perhaps just Science in Trinity.

Pharmacy kind of scares me. I've a woeful Chemistry teacher and I'm afraid it'd be too Chem-intense or hard for me so I haven't got it down. Has anyone got any tips?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭ORLY?

wayhey wrote: »
    It's Wednesday! Where the hell did that come from? I'm filling out my change of mind on my CAO tonight. In all likelihood I'll sooner repeat than take a course other than Medicine but I want to keep all options open with regards to Grad Entry.

I was thinking Human Health & Disease although I've heard on boards it's not a good idea? I also have Physio down (yeah, I know, no jobs...but I figured good grounding in anatomy) and also Occupational Therapy. But I'm really considering moving Science up there, especially in Galway because then I can try both Physiology and Anatomy and major in one, or perhaps just Science in Trinity.

Pharmacy kind of scares me. I've a woeful Chemistry teacher and I'm afraid it'd be too Chem-intense or hard for me so I haven't got it down. Has anyone got any tips?

Biomedical science in the ITs, no brainer imo. It incorporates professional training as well in the clinical setting. The IT grads tend to really know their stuff because they're expected to be able to use it straight out of college and get the opportunity to actually practice using it. It covers physiology, haematology, immunology, microbiology and more. You'd already know alot of practical stuff about alot of diseases when you come out which I don't think is necessarily true with other health related degrees.

That's if you're determined to do a degree that will be the most use to you in medicine. But truthfully, I'd advise you to do something completely different. A physiology degree doesn't really add much to a medical degree, just makes it a bit easier, and not that much believe it or not. A law or engineering or arts degree really does add a different dimension, plus you may end up falling in love with that something and realise that medicine isn't even what you wanted in the first place. Variety is the spice of life and all that...

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

I hadn't even entertained an IT and never thought about that!! Thank you! I had thought about doing something like Arts but I know that I'd like to do Medicine and it's where I'm headed eventually.. don't really want to waste time studying stuff outside the field unnecessarily... plus it's what I'm interested in. I'd be diving blind out of Science other than something like English...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Have you considered radiography or radiation therapy?

Have you considered radiography or radiation therapy?

No. Mainly because cancer isn't really something I'd like to get into. Should I look more into it you think? I like learning about the body and all its systems. I don't think it's my kind of course...I know in Trinity its therapy, and UCD diagnostic. But the points are high for Trinity and diagnostic sounds worse than therapeutic, so I figure I'd sooner get Med than that.

No. Mainly because cancer isn't really something I'd like to get into. Should I look more into it you think? I like learning about the body and all its systems. I don't think it's my kind of course...I know in Trinity its therapy, and UCD diagnostic. But the points are high for Trinity and diagnostic sounds worse than therapeutic, so I figure I'd sooner get Med than that.

Therapy has more biology + anatomy in it than you might think but if cancer isn't your thing then it's not really an option. You don't seem too enthused by diagnostic (I wouldn't be either - I think it's an interesting subject but wouldn't be too fond of the job). I was just putting them out there as options.

• Advertisement

No honestly lonestar, absolutely any suggestions are welcome. Thank you :) I think the job would be kind of dull, looking at screens all day and also it would be a tough job in treatment, losing a lot of patients.

I think the job would be kind of dull, looking at screens all day

This is what would put me off diagnostic too.
    and also it would be a tough job in treatment, losing a lot of patients.

Very, very rare to lose a patient on-treatment in therapeutic. The majority of your patients would be prostates + breasts and these would all be generally be in pretty good physical shape. Obviously it is difficult seeing patients who you know will ultimately die of their disease, especially the children :(. Having said that CAO change of mind closes tomorrow doesn't it? Therapy is a very definite field and I don't think I'd recommend it without having done some shadowing to see what the day-to-day work is all about.

I saw this here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055866579

You're really helpful. Thank you.

Pharmacy isn't particularly hard if you put the hours in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭IPNA

If you enjoy medicine then a job as an Advanced Paramedic would challenge you. There is a lot of A&P in the course. It will challenge you as a decision maker and test your knowledge of medicine.

You are the person on the ground that has to make a quick assessment and diagnosis before transport back to A&E.

• Advertisement

IPNA wrote: »
    If you enjoy medicine then a job as an Advanced Paramedic would challenge you. There is a lot of A&P in the course. It will challenge you as a decision maker and test your knowledge of medicine.

You are the person on the ground that has to make a quick assessment and diagnosis before transport back to A&E.

Being an AP would not allow the OP to do medicine, which is his/her stated goal and substituting a career as a doctor for one as an AP would be the definition of frustration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭IPNA

ORLY? wrote: »
    Being an AP would not allow the OP to do medicine, which is his/her stated goal and substituting a career as a doctor for one as an AP would be the definition of frustration.

True, pre hospital medicine is limited. I didn't want to mention the Physician Assistant as an option because I didn't want to sound like I only have one tune to hum.

As a US paramedic and military medic I can vouch for how much medicine we are allowed to practice. There is a lot of times where I am challenged and pushed to continue my medical education while riding an ambulance.
    When I first left the Special Forces I was under the impression that a medical doctor was going to be the only option out there to challenge myself. I was wrong.

If you want a good medical education while not entering into the horrific politics of being a doctor, there are definitely better options out there.

When I was still living in the US, I attending the first year of medical school. I learned just how many doctors actually hate their jobs and are often belittled by the insurance agencies. Many of them mentioned that they are spending far too much of their work week arguing with the insurance agencies in order to be paid a mere fraction of the cost they asked for. These doctors with 20 years of academic education where being told off by minimum wage earners. I quickly left med school and never looked back.

I think that there has to be another option for people who feel the drive and passion to help people.

IPNA wrote: »
    True, pre hospital medicine is limited. I didn't want to mention the Physician Assistant as an option because I didn't want to sound like I only have one tune to hum.

As a US paramedic and military medic I can vouch for how much medicine we are allowed to practice. There is a lot of times where I am challenged and pushed to continue my medical education while riding an ambulance.
    When I first left the Special Forces I was under the impression that a medical doctor was going to be the only option out there to challenge myself. I was wrong.

If you want a good medical education while not entering into the horrific politics of being a doctor, there are definitely better options out there.

When I was still living in the US, I attending the first year of medical school. I learned just how many doctors actually hate their jobs and are often belittled by the insurance agencies. Many of them mentioned that they are spending far too much of their work week arguing with the insurance agencies in order to be paid a mere fraction of the cost they asked for. These doctors with 20 years of academic education where being told off by minimum wage earners. I quickly left med school and never looked back.

I think that there has to be another option for people who feel the drive and passion to help people.

Sounds crap alright, but thankfully in Ireland most doctors spend most of their time in the public system and these aren't the issues they waste their time on. Long may it remain so.

"The drive and passion to help people" is obviously an asset for a doctor but imo, inexperienced and all as I am in the medical world, this isn't enough if it isn't coupled with insatiable curiosity. Certainly it helps to get through med school anyway. That compulsion to absolutely have to know exactly why something works the way it does, why it goes wrong, how can we find out what the problem is etc. Of all the medically related courses available, there's no doubt that medicine is the one for people like that because their is no end to the things that can be learned.

I'm thinking of putting down Occupational Therapy ahead of Science. I could get some good life experience, work a bit and hopefully go for graduate with it. It just seems more attractive than 4 years of Science but I dunno...maybe that would be better in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

Not to sound like a dick but saying at 17/18 years of age "i don't want to work in cancer" after seeing a few TV shows and leaving cert biology is a bit premature and naive. Maybe you'd love it once you're doing rounds. If you're certain you want to do medicine, I think you are genuinely better off repeating.

That's assuming you're mature enough to start a medical course. Again this must sound like I'm being harsh but the good things about Science/Arts is that they aren't easy, but you can do the whole 3 nights a week on the piss thing and still get by.

If you don't think you'll get anywhere near the required points certainly do a good degree in which you are certain you'll get a 2.1 in and apply in the MUCH more expensive graduate route otherwise, repeat.

my 2c.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I'm thinking of putting down Occupational Therapy ahead of Science. I could get some good life experience, work a bit and hopefully go for graduate with it. It just seems more attractive than 4 years of Science but I dunno...maybe that would be better in the long run.

It's probably a bit late, but, as far as I know, OT's do very little A&P. I think they largely learn upper limb anatomy and would do far less than what Physio's do.

Not to sound like a dick but saying at 17/18 years of age "i don't want to work in cancer" after seeing a few TV shows and leaving cert biology is a bit premature and naive. Maybe you'd love it once you're doing rounds. If you're certain you want to do medicine, I think you are genuinely better off repeating.

That's assuming you're mature enough to start a medical course. Again this must sound like I'm being harsh but the good things about Science/Arts is that they aren't easy, but you can do the whole 3 nights a week on the piss thing and still get by.

If you don't think you'll get anywhere near the required points certainly do a good degree in which you are certain you'll get a 2.1 in and apply in the MUCH more expensive graduate route otherwise, repeat.

my 2c.

I'm 19. When I was 14 my grandmother suffered a massive brain hemorrhage. She spent the following months in Naas General Hospital and then a nursing home, diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma. I spent a lot of time with her, on the wards with doctors and in the home. It's not a scenario I want to relive every day.
    Do you really think a serious applicant for Medicine, someone considering graduate entry, 4 years down the road, would base their view of the course and the career off a few "TV shows and Leaving Cert. biology"? Seriously?? That's a bit naive.. I said that in reply to Radiation Therapy. Involves a lot more cancer-focus than Medicine I'd imagine. Obviously healthy people don't come to hospitals. But I don't want to work in cancer after all that, every day. Not right now anyway.

But on the last bit about graduate/repeat: completely agree with you.
    It's probably a bit late, but, as far as I know, OT's do very little A&P. I think they largely learn upper limb anatomy and would do far less than what Physio's do.
    Luckily I'd read up on it. It's last on my CAO, behind Physio. It's the caring aspect of the job that attracts me to it :)

Thanks for all your help everyone! :)

Advertisement