Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lance Armstrong

• 30-06-2010 6:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭

No doubt this has been discussed before. However, I've heard this is Armstrong's last tour. I've also heard that this is in no small part due to his past catching up with him, specifically allegations from the likes of Floyd Landis. What are people's opinions with regards to his career? It seems quite sad if it transpired that his achievements were on the back of something that should, IMO, be considered shameful.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

We had a big discussion on it here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055916588

What do you think? Do you reckon he doped?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭xz

Everyone has doped at some stage or another;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I was reading the Cycle Sport guide to the TdF yesterday and his little win graph was hilarious DNF, DNF, DNF, DNF, 36th, 2 years off, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

DNF, DNF, DNF, DNF, 36th, 2 years off, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st etc
    Must be a good doctor...
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭amjon.

I was reading the Cycle Sport guide to the TdF yesterday and his little win graph was hilarious DNF, DNF, DNF, DNF, 36th, 2 years off, 1st, 1st, 1st, 1st etc

Yeah, did you not read the book? He lost few kilos and pedalled a bit faster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭sxt

No doubt this has been discussed before. However, I've heard this is Armstrong's last tour. I've also heard that this is in no small part due to his past catching up with him, specifically allegations from the likes of Floyd Landis. What are people's opinions with regards to his career? It seems quite sad if it transpired that his achievements were on the back of something that should, IMO, be considered shameful.

I think this thread has been done to death. Reading between the lines, you should Look up Floyd Landis's checkered past including him needing $2 million for legal costs and asking "fans" to donate to his cause, and the convenient timing of his allegations..

Lance armstrong has got thousands of people into cycling and I would love it if people talked more about his cycling :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

sxt wrote: »
    I think this thread has been done to death. Reading between the lines, you should Look up Floyd Landis's checkered past including him needing $2 million for legal costs and asking "fans" to donate to his cause, and the convenient timing of his allegations..

Lance armstrong has got thousands of people into cycling and I would love it if people talked more about his cycling :o

Bollix to that arguement, Lance has got millions upon millions 'donated' to his 'charity' because of his fame and fortunate that he got on the back of winning the TdF's. He has cheated everyone that believes in him, he has taken them all to the ****in cleaners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭sxt

Junior wrote: »
    Bollix to that arguement, Lance has got millions upon millions 'donated' to his 'charity' because of his fame and fortunate that he got on the back of winning the TdF's. He has cheated everyone that believes in him, he has taken them all to the ****in cleaners.

You think one of the most famous sports person ever is in need of money? ...You think think he is canvasing and promoting the awareness of cancer,something he has the unfortunate experience to suffer from, everyday of his life to make money for himself?

edit . Also helped raise 325 million towards the fight against cancer, I'm sure if lance was pocketing the money himself the media would have known about it by now...

http://www.livestrong.org/What-We-Do/Our-Approach/Where-the-Money-Goes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

can you post a link ,please

jwshooter wrote: »
    can you post a link ,please

What do you mean a link ?

It's my belief he's a doper, and has sold everyone that believes in him a complete fabrication of a story i.e. the worlds greatest comeback. I've lent out some of his books to cancer patients, and as hard hearted as I am, you can't turn around to someone who could be dying and say yah don't bother reading that story he's just a dirty doper and he's eventually going to cheat you out of your hope, because he didn't come back from cancer and go out and win all those races clean, he had the most advanced systematic doping plan since the East Germans in the 70's and 80's.

His foundation is built on the premise that he got cancer, faught it, and then went onto win 7 Tour De France because he won the war on cancer so well. This doesn't denegrate the work the charity may do, but it's all based on a false premise. That he did it clean and naturally. He gives false hope to people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

He gives false hope to people.

Funnily enough, I don't think I agree with that. He gives false hope to many cycling people who (like me) either read between the lines and choose to believe that he attained his greatness through ill means, but to many people that have the unfortunate circumstances to be struck with a cancer, I believe reading any of his stories can only provide hope to them, that they can pull through.

Those people would (most likely) never have a goal to win a TdF, but if they can see him pull through cancer and win the TdF, maybe they can pull through to go on another family holiday or whatever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i only had one prob with lance, i like to see my riders compete in more than one race a season, thats what i love about contador he actually seems to enjoy racing (even if he has doped) and takes part Competitively and has stated he wants to win classics etc. i think its a european racer attitude.

whilst Lance went for the biggest race (and who could blame him his body prob wasnt in a fit state to do a full season) but it has brought on a lot of people who seem to think that theres only one race that matters a season (bit like people on here dsaying the vuelta is a joke it has as much history as any other GT) particularly for the english speaking press suddenly bike racing exists.

as to his alleged doping, at this point, meh i watch bike racing if someone gets caught kick em out, give the career ending bans 6 years would be good (i mean 2 years to a 24 year old they go off take what they like for 12 months get clean - come back)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

There's no such thing as 'false hope' You either have hope, or you don't.

Also, this:

r10466_****%20this%20thread%20outta%20here.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Armstrong. If everyone else is doping, how can he beat them clean?

I firmly believe he is the cycling equivalent of Michelle Smyth. Remember she never produced a positive. She tampered with a sample, he tampered with Lab staff.

IMO, Armstrong is a cheat, possibly the most successful sports cheat ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭alfalad

Also helped raise 325 million towards the fight against cancer, I'm sure if lance was pocketing the money himself the media would have known about it by now...

I'd like to see how much is raised against how much goes out to research and hospitals etc. See is there much of a difference?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

alfalad wrote: »
    I'd like to see how much is raised against how much goes out to research and hospitals etc. See is there much of a difference!

Which LiveStrong are you talking about?

http://www.livestrong.com/aboutus/

"While LIVESTRONG.ORG remains a nonprofit, LIVESTRONG.COM is a for-profit that derives its revenue from advertising and member subscriptions."

As far as the Lance Armstrong Foundation is concerned, see here.

Lumen wrote: »
    Which LiveStrong are you talking about?

http://www.livestrong.com/aboutus/

"While LIVESTRONG.ORG remains a nonprofit, LIVESTRONG.COM is a for-profit that derives its revenue from advertising and member subscriptions."

As far as the Lance Armstrong Foundation is concerned, see here.

So Livestrong.com piggy backs off the name and makes plenty of money?

alfalad wrote: »
    So Livestrong.com piggy backs off the name and makes plenty of money?

I don't know how much money it makes.

There is information on the charity accounts on the LAF website here. They say "81 cents of every dollar raised has gone directly to support our programs and services for survivors." I don't know how reliable that figure is or how it compares with other charities.

FWIW I have no particular axe to grind about Livestrong, I just don't like the man. He sets off my Damian-Thorn-O-Meter.

so its ok to post on a open forum ,that " I MY OPINION " armstrong or any one for that matter is a cheat ,drug taker ,taking money from his foundation etc .

there is a breach of the forum character some where in there .

so its ok to post on a open forum ,that " I MY OPINION " armstrong or any one for that matter is a cheat ,drug taker ,taking money from his foundation etc .

I'd ask that any defamatory comments be checked for spelling and grammar. It makes it easier for the lawyers.

• Advertisement

just put allegedly in front of ever sentence (worked for have i got news for you)

i'll say one thing about armstrong what we gonna talk about if he retires

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Comm2

Young emerging clean cyclists hopefully.

sxt wrote: »
    I would love it if people talked more about his cycling :o
    Hey, how about those seven tours de france he cheated his way to. Those were great.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Comm2 wrote: »
    Young emerging clean cyclists hopefully.

Yeah Ricco et al really impress as the changing face of the peleton.

The Babygiro has shown that doping seems to be a ting of the past too

(no wait ... aww F*ck)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Probably still Lance Armstrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I saw two cyclists the other day on the Dingle peninsula. One guy on a Wilier Triestina and full Livestrong kit.
    Just saying.

ROK ON wrote: »
    I saw two cyclists the other day on the Dingle peninsula. One guy on a Wilier Triestina and full Livestrong kit.
    Just saying.

thats just so wrong

shoulda been on a trek :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Lance Armstrong is the best at what he does, probably the best of all time.

Now you can't argue with that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Ruprecht

http://www.freakingnews.com/7th-Summit-Pictures-15652.asp

The future for Lance after retirement.

2030. Lance comes out of retirement again despite questions about his age. Whats his secret they ask?

http://www.freakingnews.com/Tour-de-France-Pictures-15634.asp

• Advertisement

Moflojo wrote: »
    The best blood manipulator? I'd go along with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

hahaha well put, really well put.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

All this said without proof....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    All this said without proof....
    There is more than enough circumstantial evidence, not to mention eye witness reports from team-mates and associates, to convince me that there was more than high carb dinners going on behind closed doors.

It's almost Friday but not quite!

And I believe a lot of people can and will!

Bring on Friday...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

The chap still has a lot of believers - I saw a lot of Livestrong and Radioshack jerseys recently on the WW200...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I can argue all night long with that. In my opinion Eddie Merckx is the greatest of all time.

Tell me why Lance is better than him and I'll give you a hundred reasons why its the other way around.

iregk wrote: »
    I can argue all night long with that. In my opinion Eddie Merckx is the greatest of all time.

Tell me why Lance is better than him and I'll give you a hundred reasons why its the other way around.

I'll save you a lot of bother and simply point to my use of the word 'probably'.

iregk wrote: »

Merckx was done 3 times for doping was he not

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Back when a doping violation resulted in a slap on the wrist with a feather duster :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

This makes him a worse cyclist how ?

They're both excellent exponents of their arts. Difficult to distinguish between the two.

This makes him a worse cyclist how ?

the FACTS are he was done for doping , so did he dope for all his wins ?.

you seam to know ,so you tell us .

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I really really really want to see him go down. Surely the feds being involved means they can do what it takes to retest old samples for everything and find something??

They're both excellent exponents of their arts.

They're not. The doping was different.

In Christophe Bassons' book he claims that a teammate of his went from a VO2 max of 65 to 91 in the space of 3 months due to blood doping. That's like going from a (very?) low level pro to Greg Lemond standard. Amphetemines and 1960's simulants won't do that. Bassons' VO2max was around 85, the talent of Hinault and Jalabert he was told. He was also told he would win Paris Roubaix if he would resort to a little help, but he didn't. Bassons had to target early season one day races when most of the peloton were in the early stages of their doping programs. Hinault dominated races he entered, Bassons was nowhere.

That is not to say Merckx wouldn't have resorted to blood doping if it were available to him, Merckx after all is supposedly the guy who introduced Armstrong to Dr. Ferrari. But blood doping wasn't available in Merckx's time so the cream still rose to the top.

Edit: The reason I bring up Bassons is that he was a contemporary of Armstrong's, 1 year younger, enormously talented and enormously principled. The Armstrong era is like watching WWE, you cannot draw any reasonable conclusions as to who the best cyclists were.

the FACTS are he was done for doping , so did he dope for all his wins ?.

you seam to know ,so you tell us .

No, I don't sew, stitch or do seams, the statement was put that iregk believes that In my opinion Eddie Merckx is the greatest of all time.

You seem to think that him being caught for doping makes him a worse cyclist that LA, I asked the question why or how do you think this ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

I cant' count the number of threads I have read at this stage regarding did he or didn't he. But for someone who is relatively new to this sport (me) I don't understand how someone could possibly win seven TdF's and evade a positive test (if he was doping).

Forgive my naivety in advance.

im not the one running any cyclist down hear , as i dont know the facts .

Merckx was class on a bike ,as was kelly ,as is Armstrong now .the man is almost 40 and still doing it . possibly the most tested athlete on the planet .

im not fool enough to think cycling was/is a drug free sport ,nor am i fool enough to make a statement like above .

you dont like Armstrong for what ever reason ,i would suggest getting over it ,learn to live with it .

personally i think the man is a inspiration and wish him well .

Trekmad wrote: »
    I cant' count the number of threads I have read at this stage regarding did he or didn't he. But for someone who is relatively new to this sport (me) I don't understand how someone could possibly win seven TdF's and evade a positive test (if he was doping).

Forgive my naivety in advance.
    Forgiven.

Here are some ways:
    1. Being made aware you are going to be tested.
    2. Back dating an exemption for use of a banned substance (then donating some money to the UCI).
    3. Using Autologous blood transfusions.
    4. Using large quantities of EPO until Epo is detectable.
    5. Doping with EPO and blood transfusions up to the old 50% hematocrit rule.
    6. When EPO is detectable, Micro does it by injecting straight into the blood stream, Clears in around 8 hrs..
    7. Using small amounts of soap on your fingernails to spoil samples (not sure how genuine this method is).
    8. Make testers wait at the door of your house(or tour bus) so you can take whatever masking agents.
    9. Live in a country with no out of competition testing, e.g. Spain.
    10. Be involved in a sport which had no real interest in finding dopers. (though Tennis and Football have no interest either).
    11. Take undetectable human growth hormone.
    12. Take steroids in the off season to promote muscle growth and aid recovery. The larger muscles become an advantage when combined with doped blood.
    13. Eat asparagus (this maybe be nonsense).

possibly the most tested athlete on the planet
    No. He lived in Spain which for a long time had no out of competition testing regime. He also did not compete or podium in many races during the season apart from the tour, so he would not have been tested while others were.

He does of course twitter/moan about being tested all the time, which may lead one to believe he is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement