Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any tips for getting through Oblivion gates?

• 30-06-2010 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

I've had Oblivion quite a while, a few years now. But I've never ever completed it. I always die/resort to making a character that can turn invisible and that makes the game no fun. Likewise, I don't really want to spend hours shooting Scamps in a cave :p

Anybody got any tips to spare? I'm playing on Xbox360 so no mods unfortunately...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭BrerWolf

If you don't want to use the invisibility trick, then try leaving the gates till you've levelled up a good bit.

somewhere from lvl 20-25 you should be buff enough to get through the oblivion sections without too much hassle. Though the bigger monsters will always cause you grief - don't try to take them all on at once!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭gavitron22

RUN!! the gates are too monotonous to play properly!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

gavitron22 wrote: »

Yeah once witnessed one of my friends run the whole way through one of the gates, made it look very easy actually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭BrerWolf

Lots of good loot in the gates though.
    If you're having a hard time, just get your invisibility together and it'll be easy

Plus leaving the gates open means that you'll be bumping into various bad-guys in the real (?) world which can wreck your head.....

Vegeta wrote: »
    Yeah once witnessed one of my friends run the whole way through one of the gates, made it look very easy actually

yeah, after quite a few characters, it gets so bloody boring it's not even funny! just run and grab the orb! plus, it's a very annoying thing in oblivion, your character gets worse the more you level up, you get stronger, but everything else gets too strong, it's easier to kill an enemy quickly at level five than level thirty, which is just stupid! (also why morrowind was so cool!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I started getting sick of the oblivion gates after a while. I used to go everywhere I could, even to get some of the items in obscure places and that one with the secret area with the unique arrows. It was fun at first, sneaking up trying to avoid the bad guys. Could take over an hour to do a gate.
    Then I started running through, using invisibility to avoid whatever I could, but still getting the loot, later chameleon. After getting sick of them, it turned into a run through which might have taken ten minutes. Last time I played, I was using the dragon mod (Akatosh Mount) and just flew straight up to the tops of the tower. Very quick.

Monotype wrote: »
    Last time I played, I was using the dragon mod (Akatosh Mount) and just flew straight up to the tops of the tower. Very quick.

damn 360! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

I've never had trouble in the games myself, but if you are one thing I would certainly suggest are fire and shock resistance. Half the creatures' primary attacks use spells with one of these effects and being resistant can really help. For the rest, i.e. Dremora it's a matter of working your fight right. The ones that can burden you and knock you over are a royal pain, but so as long as you don't get cornered by 3-4+ of them they are easy enough to fend off. Having a summoning spell could help you also.

It has been said already that the gates are monotonous so it is good to note that you don't actually have to close all of them, only the ones outside each main city (bar the Imperial City).
    yeah, after quite a few characters, it gets so bloody boring it's not even funny! just run and grab the orb! plus, it's a very annoying thing in oblivion, your character gets worse the more you level up, you get stronger, but everything else gets too strong, it's easier to kill an enemy quickly at level five than level thirty, which is just stupid! (also why morrowind was so cool!)

Yes enemies get stronger, but they level in proportion, so shouldn't be overbearing. It may just be how you are choosing your level up stats and equipment later on in the game.

I have to admit I used Oscuros oblivion overhaul for it, I don't like the world levelling up too much
    For the gates: run run run and grab the orbs

GodlessM wrote: »

Yes enemies get stronger, but they level in proportion, so shouldn't be overbearing. It may just be how you are choosing your level up stats and equipment later on in the game.

nah they level up in some ratio thing, but it's way too high. you should never be stronger with regards to the foe or a quicker killer at level 5 than 50, ever!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

nah they level up in some ratio thing, but it's way too high. you should never be stronger with regards to the foe or a quicker killer at level 5 than 50, ever!

Yes they level in a ratio, but the ratio does not make them higher than the player by default. The fact is how strong they are in direct comparison to your character depends still on how you train. If you play to your strengths and build your character properly your character will be stronger than enemies, though not by a terribly large portion. On the other hand, if you just pick random stats that don't suit your character build your character will not become a better fighter even though he/she is leveling whereas creatures (who get set increases) will improve, making them more powerful than you. The bottom line is that if creatures are vastly more powerful in your game it is your own fault and not that of the CPU (and I know programming and have a game designer mate and have dabbled in such things).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Exactly what I do. Just leg it because after you do a few they become boring.

I believe I had powered my armour up to give me extra speed etc so just cast any spells that grant you speed etc and run for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Hocker

I think the Great Gate is actually easier than the normal gates somehow :P

Advertisement