Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cliffs of Moher now Pay Per View!

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Peter B

Anybody know has demand dropped at all since the new price hike? I remember loads of people on Joe Duffy saying they wouldn't go to the cliffs in the future after these price hikes.

Really annoys me in a time of deflation the government needs to increase its income so it increases prices.

I hope demand will drop off and the government will realise the laws of supply and demand apply and will be forced to reduce the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 blacknemac

I was on holiday the other day in Galway with 4 friends,
    we went down to visit the cliffs of moher(nearly died in the attempt !! the roads are absolutly terrible , two cars barely fit! and we were all coming from spain so add to it driving with the wheel on the other side and driving on the other side of the road aswell)would `nt hurt to do a bit of widening on the roads down there.!!

About the cliffs it was a total rip off, 6 euros per head, so it was 30 euros ,
    we told them that all we wanted to see were the cliffs and they told us we still had to pay!!! in spain cliffs are legaly public domain , just like beaches so nobody can say there mine you`ve got to pay to see them!
    In the end we paid cause we were entering the parking and there was a few cars behind , but the next time everybody is getting out of the car before entering the parking(except the driver of course) so all we have to pay is 6 euros.
    I recomend everybody to do the same, they can fee you for the parking but not to see the cliffs ,cause its just not theirs. They `ll try to make you think you have to pay to see them but its not true, you only have to pay to park the car(which only needs one person to do) and to see the atlantic edge exibition which is a load of rubbish , not worth your while seeing even if you have paid!!
    Cherrs hope the information helps save some euros that you could spend on a couple of pints of guinness at the end of the day!!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

I have never in my life seen as many people complaining about the cliffs. I personally haven't been there for ages and I don't plan to. They are spectacular to see and if you can see it great!

It cost millions to build it, I still think a prefab would have been better and always question myself weather or not they were right..

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3 lobbybee

I'm from the US and taking a holiday in Ireland for the first time with a group of 4 in July. I've been researching places to visit, and the Cliffs were near the top of the list until I came across some troubling things about admission fees on the Internet. From what I can tell, the €6 per person sound like a total scam.

Is it true that they are now cracking down on visitors who are dropped off by car to use the right of way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

lobbybee wrote: »
    I'm from the US and taking a holiday in Ireland for the first time with a group of 4 in July. I've been researching places to visit, and the Cliffs were near the top of the list until I came across some troubling things about admission fees on the Internet. From what I can tell, the €6 per person sound like a total scam.

Is it true that they are now cracking down on visitors who are dropped off by car to use the right of way?

In fairness, the fee itself isn't a scam. One must pay to enter a lot of natural heritage sites all over the world. A few examples being Timanfaya National Park, on the island of Lanzarote (which I visited last year - eeriest place I've ever been :eek:), and your own Grand Canyon National Park in the States.

It is too expensive, however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Seeing as the government dropped the VAT rate from 13.5 to 9% to encourage tourism, have the prices dropped at the COM?

Or anywhere else for tham matter? I am thinking of touring the West next month, and would deffinatly prefer to support those places who make the effort to entice visitors over those who just have one thing in mind -take as much money as possible out of Your pockets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    Seeing as the government dropped the VAT rate from 13.5 to 9% to encourage tourism, have the prices dropped at the COM?

Or anywhere else for tham matter? I am thinking of touring the West next month, and would deffinatly prefer to support those places who make the effort to entice visitors over those who just have one thing in mind -take as much money as possible out of Your pockets.

I'm willing to bet someone will say "revenue from the cliffs is down, better raise the price".
    That's usually how far thinking goes in local authorities and should revenue completely collapse it will be "strange, revenue has collapsed, ah well, shut it down".
    After that I don't think any thought is wasted on it, because it's time for a break (again).:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 411 ✭✭RoisinD

Something which has had a lot of publicity locally in the past week is this http://www.clare.fm/news/new-ticketing-scheme-north-clare . I think that tickets are E18 - great value. So hopefully Le_Dieux that will encourage you to pay us a visit. The Burren Centre is excellent and gives a real taste of what is available in the region.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭qwert2

Pure Greed! Park down the road. It's free. Plus you actually get to see the cliffs, unlike the people who go to the cliffs :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

RoisinD wrote: »
    Something which has had a lot of publicity locally in the past week is this http://www.clare.fm/news/new-ticketing-scheme-north-clare . I think that tickets are E18 - great value. So hopefully Le_Dieux that will encourage you to pay us a visit. The Burren Centre is excellent and gives a real taste of what is available in the region.

Great idea and a great way to get people to see more of the region!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭seawoman

Anyone know, Is it maybe option to leave the car another place than fee car park, and come to clifs by walk? Even 5km-10km I can walk, no problem.
    I just want see the cliffs, ONLY, I DONT want see visitor centre building, so cliffss should be for free, yes?

I booked already cliffs of moher cruises, So i don't want to pay again ...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Fair play, as this is a zombie thread I'm closing this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement