Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fishing the Mulcair

Options
  • 30-06-2010 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Is there any club i need to refer to in order to fish the mulcair and tributaries ? i can't find anything on the net. All i want is to fly fish for brown trout and i have my ESB licence for that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭wgsten

You could ask in the fishing tackle shops in the locality the should be able to tell you and they may also have permits if neccessary.

wgsten
    http://www.irishflyfisher.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

http://www.salmon-ireland.com/salmon-rivers/shannon/river-mulcair.jsp

If it is brownies on the fly that you are after, try heading downriver of the Anacotty bridge. The stretch between that bridge and where the Mulcair enters the Shannon is dotted with some nice deep pools. I have found the right hand bank as you look downriver on this stretch the better side to fish.

There are some nice spots in and around Ballyclough and near Dromkeen too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

thanks Kess, will give it a go for sure !

Do. It can be a fun river. The fact that it is so short means that there are very few unknown spots though.

A lot of people will probably tell you to fish just below the wier at Annacotty in the space between that wier and the old bridge.

It can be a decent spot but it is also the spot that gets mentioned most by fishing websites and by locals who don't want you in their favourite spots.:D

How familiar are you with Limerick and the areas surrounding the Mulcair?

i live nearby but strangely enough thought it was tough to have the permission to fish it. Just back now from a week in France and will surely have a go, especially that i heard there was some rain here.

It is 20 minutes drive from my house.

• Advertisement

Just sent you a pm about a spot that is decent for brownies on the fly, especially when the river is in spate as it is now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

ESB infor: http://www.esb.ie/main/sustainability/shannon.jsp
    you need to click on the Mulcair tab
    seems no fixed spool reels are allowed.

Shannon Regional Board infor :
    http://www.shannon-fishery-board.ie/guides/game/river-mulcair.htm

might even get a Salmon permit this WE seeing the rain is falling :D

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Hlanaayes

BoarHunter wrote: »
    might even get a Salmon permit this WE seeing the rain is falling :D

Picked up mine in Bonds at the weekend. Definitly worth it, the Salmon are running. Some good heavy showers in the city today so I'm going to head out again tomorrow. River was in spate Sunday so should be ideal over the next few days with the additional showers. I cover that stretch that another poster mentioned, although I'm going to try from the otherside this time around (not the University side).

I think Fishing for Salmon is forbidden between the weir and the old bridge :rolleyes: which is at the mouth of the mulkear. I might be wrong but you would need to check this.

• Advertisement

there you go :

Rules & regulations
    • Fishing shall be with single rod and line
    • Fishing for salmon and trout by any means is prohibited to a distance of 50 metres below Ballyclough Dam on the Limerick side
    • From June 1, fishing is prohibited between the Old Bridge and Annacotty Weir
    • No electronic aids are allowed for the capture of fish
    • Angling Returns should be submitted to ESB

I think Fishing for Salmon is forbidden between the weir and the old bridge :rolleyes: which is at the mouth of the mulkear. I might be wrong but you would need to check this.

Wasn't aware of this, jeez there's so many rules! The lady in Bond's didn't mention it although I didn't say where on the Mulcair I would be fishing.:mad:
    What about catch and releasing or is that the same thing?

Fishing alltogether is my understanding so catch and release is fishing... I don't want to take any risk and i will try to find a place upstream.

Seems like the correct thing to do and I haven't been up topside of Annacotty yet so I wouldn't mind a sconce at all. Hope there are decent accessible stretches. I was wondering why I met no one else out on Sunday it seemed odd given the flood waters. Although I was corresponding with the project manager of the Mulcair Life project re otters I had spotted while out at the weekend and he neglected to tell me I shouldn't be fishing there!

there you go :

Rules & regulations
    • Fishing shall be with single rod and line
    • Fishing for salmon and trout by any means is prohibited to a distance of 50 metres below Ballyclough Dam on the Limerick side
    • From June 1, fishing is prohibited between the Old Bridge and Annacotty Weir
    • No electronic aids are allowed for the capture of fish
    • Angling Returns should be submitted to ESB

Best double check the spot I sent you the PM about. Was not aware of the June 1st restriction as any trout fishing I do there is generally before that.

I actually regard a different bridge as the Old Bridge though, so it may be worth dropping into Bonds to confirm which is the Bridge in question.

If my spot is out of bounds for the season, do still take a walk down that way without your rod, and get a feel for the spot for next season as it is a worthwhile spot.

I went their for a bit of scouting and it is beautiful. Lots of water to explore. will fish this next spring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 TippCork

Has anyone fished on the River Bilboa near Cappamore? Many trout there?

Been a few years since I fished it and the Newport river. It used to carry a decent number of trout with a few of good size.

Never fished well for me early in the day though, was always late in the day before I caught anything of note.

Advertisement