Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

it this a good price?

• 30-06-2010 7:31pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭

just been quote a 1thousand euro, to plaster my kitchen which is 10ft x 14ft

he is going to do the following

remove and replace the ceiling
    insulate the ceiling
    plaster the walls using 80mm insulating plasterboard - he only wants to use 35mm but i want 80mm

am getting another 2 quotes this week but am kinda looking to see if that is about right ???

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

irishbird wrote: »
    he only wants to use 35mm but i want 80mm

Exactly its about what you want not him.....See what the other price comes in at..

A mate of mine is a plasterer and I can give you his number for a quote also...Let me know if you want his number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I dont know myself but actually have 2 plasters that did work for me and there work was spot on and very reasonable.

If you want there numbers let me know..

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I dont know myself but actually have 2 plasters that did work for me and there work was spot on and very reasonable.

If you want there numbers let me know..

thanks, we have another 2 guys coming tomorrow, will let you know how i get on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

Seems a little high to me..

Our playroom is 100ft by 30ft (ends) about 20ft middle.. (I
    I shape)

Finishing the plaster boarding (last 20%) and plastering the whole room was 3,000 (Jan 2008)..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭650gs

Lets see I would think about 12 80mm insluated slabs at 30.00 euro eachplus vat each, about 5 12mm slabs @ 9 euro plus vat each. 1 bag of joint filler 15 euro plus vat, 2 rolls of tape 10 euro plus vat each, 6 bags of skim @ 12 euro plus vat each, lets not forget 2 rolls of fiberglass @ 15 euro plus vat each, plus a mini skip 100 euro inc vat and 50 euro just incase nails, screws etc,
    So your talking roughly 750 euro that leaves 250 euro for two men for two days. CANT BE DONE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭kitser

sounds too cheap. you say he's to remove and replace ceiling. he's gotta do the same to the walls, light fittings etc need to be replaced, if they work for peanuts, you should expect a rushed job. you'll get what you pay for

Well said Kitser somethings wrong with the price, I find a lot of people these days making up prices to try and push things down further but as you said you get what you pay for :):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭saltandpepper10

this price must be labour only surely:confused:

Now you see what I mean people replied to post's then when they see the facts that's it, no more replies or no more posts, yet another try at pushing the price to the edge.
    I'm all for keeping costs down but people have to realise two things, giving false or misleading price's only makes fools of them selves, a bad feeling before the job starts or some cowboys with a half done job.
    So lets be realistic here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

650gs wrote: »
    Now you see what I mean people replied to post's then when they see the facts that's it, no more replies or no more posts, yet another try at pushing the price to the edge.
    I'm all for keeping costs down but people have to realise two things, giving false or misleading price's only makes fools of them selves, a bad feeling before the job starts or some cowboys with a half done job.

I think your tinfoil hat might be slipping off..

2 people offered the services of reliable plasterers, and I relayed the price I paid for a room in 2008... No great conspiracy...

• Advertisement

Heard that one before too

5 80mm slabs - 50e each - 250e

5 regular slabs- 10 each - 50e

200e for incidentals

500e for labour

i have decided not to go with - i dont like his attitude towards me, he didnt want to deal with me all, just my bf, its my house and i would be paying him - so i dont want someone who isnt going to deal with me or listen to me.

i am going with another guy who is going to insulate the kitchen and bathroom, which will include all the plumbing and eletrical work plus move a wall and put a kitchen in and he is registered with SEI, so i can get a grant of 2,500e

kitser wrote: »
    sounds too cheap. you say he's to remove and replace ceiling. he's gotta do the same to the walls, light fittings etc need to be replaced, if they work for peanuts, you should expect a rushed job. you'll get what you pay for

he doesnt have to remove the plaster on walls as there is none, just plain breeze blocks :)

the electrics were being done by the father in law

i thought it was expensive - in 2007 i got, sitting room, hall, stairs and landing, 3 bedrooms done for 2,500e plus 2 ceilings replaced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,179 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If he is just slabbing the walls and reboarding the ceiling and skimming Id say its too high.
    Are you getting coving for that price?
    If the room has already been gutted and you are not expecting him to do any other than plasterwork its too high.

You would board that a skim it in a day, especially with 2 lads.
    1 more day for coving if required.

I insulated and boarded my own bedroom (3x4m) with electrics + window board in about 8 hours on my own. Had it plastered yesterday + hall + bathroom + ensuite and all coved for 650. 2 lads in 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭thebullkf

one also needs all the facts.

you're the one that said it couldn't be done:rolleyes:

Now I understand you should give all the facts maybe that's why he wont deal with you adding on as you go along.
    As I said it cant be done like getting a grant for insulating a kitchen and bathroom, to get the grant of 2,500 euro you have to insulate all the external walls not some last year and some this year check out the SEI site its against the law to claim for work not being done and apart from both of you being charged for fraud he could be audited by the revenue and struck off SEI

Now I understand you should give all the facts maybe that's why he wont deal with you adding on as you go along.
    As I said it cant be done like getting a grant for insulating a kitchen and bathroom, to get the grant of 2,500 euro you have to insulate all the external walls not some last year and some this year check out the SEI site its against the law to claim for work not being done and apart from both of you being charged for fraud he could be audited by the revenue and struck off SEI

What are you talking about :confused::confused:

The first guy came, i asked him for a price to insulate, plaster the kitchen and replace the ceiling - he quoted me 1,000

the 2nd person i picked was from the SEI website and i asked him to quote me ofr plastering the kitchen and the bathroom and doing a re-fit, as i wanted to compare the prices of getting it done with the grant and without the grant - as going with the grant was going to cost more money due to the extra work.

he 2nd person quoted me €4,-5,000 less whatever the grant is for the insulation - i havent got the offical quote.

the 3rd person, i asked to come around was also from teh SEI website but he didnt turn up

the 4th person i asked was not from the SEI website but he didnt turn up.

the 5th person i asked also didnt show up.

i have also worked out what it would cost me to do the work myself which is well within my capibilites but have decided, i cant be arsed.

the guy who wouldnt deal with me was asked to do nothing other when insulate and plaster the kitchen. he refused to call around to the house unless my partner was there, he directed all the question to my partner, who doesnt know the difference between thistlebond and pva bond.

i came to ask was 1,000 a good price to get the kitchen insulated and plastered, as it seemed very high to me, i got the advice i need and changed my plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭thebullkf

irishbird wrote: »
    What are you talking about :confused::confused:

The first guy came, i asked him for a price to insulate, plaster the kitchen and replace the ceiling - he quoted me 1,000

the 2nd person i picked was from the SEI website and i asked him to quote me ofr plastering the kitchen and the bathroom and doing a re-fit, as i wanted to compare the prices of getting it done with the grant and without the grant - as going with the grant was going to cost more money due to the extra work.

he 2nd person quoted me €4,-5,000 less whatever the grant is for the insulation - i havent got the offical quote.

the 3rd person, i asked to come around was also from teh SEI website but he didnt turn up

the 4th person i asked was not from the SEI website but he didnt turn up.

the 5th person i asked also didnt show up.

i have also worked out what it would cost me to do the work myself which is well within my capibilites but have decided, i cant be arsed.

the guy who wouldnt deal with me was asked to do nothing other when insulate and plaster the kitchen. he refused to call around to the house unless my partner was there, he directed all the question to my partner, who doesnt know the difference between thistlebond and pva bond.

i came to ask was 1,000 a good price to get the kitchen insulated and plastered, as it seemed very high to me, i got the advice i need and changed my plans.

and so say all of us:D

Note the IM GOING, and IM GETTING A GRANT. you havent got a clue what your shxxing about.
    i am going with another guy who is going to insulate the kitchen and bathroom, which will include all the plumbing and eletrical work plus move a wall and put a kitchen in and he is registered with SEI, so i can get a grant of 2,500e :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Your words not mine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Your words not mine

Hi,

I'm irishbird's boyfriend.

When I rang the plasterer on a Thursday (Thursday before last in fact) he asked me if I'd be in on the following Monday evening, I said I wouldn't, but my gf would be and he could come then. He said no, he wanted me there.

He then asked about the Tuesday evening, same thing, I wouldn't be there, and again he said no, he wanted me there when he came to the house.

Eventually we settled on the Wednesday, when I'd be there, it was incidental to him that my gf, who owns the house, would also be there.

Anyway, he arrived and I answered the door and showed him into the kitchen. Any questions he asked, he directed at me. Any ideas he had, he told them to me. If my gf asked a question, the answer was directed at me.

Now, as irishbird has said above, I'm a DIY dimwit, no clue about anything remotely related to building, carpentry, plumbing, plastering, insulating. In fact, I did my first bit of painting last May.

Also, she's lived in the house since she bought it, six years ago, it was bought as a house that needed gutting and re-doing the whole way through. She is a veritable DIY expert compared to me.

So, this bloke may as well have been speaking to a frog as to me about the work.

He quoted €1,000 for the following work.

Insulation in the kitchen and bathroom, external walls. New ceiling in the kitchen, also insulated as it's an extension. plaster the remaining walls, which I understand needs some kind of board put up prior to the actual skimming work.

Now, a grant is available from the SEI people, and they have approved contractors on their website. I called one of them and made an appointment for him to come out to the house and have a look. I initially asked him about the same work the other man had quoted €1,000 for. He had a look, took his measurements and in the course of the conversation he mentioned that his company did total kitchen re-fits. Which is exactly what we are looking for, so not only will this company do the insulation we want, but they'll also do the full kitchen re-fit we want, and he said it would cost between €4-5,000.

Once the work in complete we will then claim the grant for the insulation, we will make sure that the company know we plan to do this, and so they can invoice us separately for the insulation work.

Is that clear now? We're not going with the first bloke because, essentially, he was a moron who only wants to deal with men.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

650gs, you need to relax just a tad. You come across a little aggressive on this thread and i'd ask you not to reply again please as i'm sure the OP has enough information without any further input from yourself.

In not being aggressive just pointing out some facts the main one is you can NOT get a grant for some of the walls under no circumstances you have to inslate all external walls and be invoiced for the lot, thats the law thats the way it is theres no way round it what so ever. now if you want to ban me for giving my point go ahead its not the first time and it wont be the last I will just reg a new email a new ip address and a new user name its no big deal so work away.
    WHAT A SHOWER OF ****

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

In not being aggressive just pointing out some facts the main one is you can NOT get a grant for some of the walls under no circumstances you have to inslate all external walls and be invoiced for the lot, thats the law thats the way it is theres no way round it what so ever. now if you want to ban me for giving my point go ahead its not the first time and it wont be the last I will just reg a new email a new ip address and a new user name its no big deal so work away.
    WHAT A SHOWER OF ****

7 day ban it is then

FROM THE SEAI WEBSITE

Some of my external walls are already insulated. Can I apply for a grant to insulate the remaining walls?

Yes. If at the end of the insulation work on your home all the exposed walls are insulated you are eligible for a grant under the HES scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Just to address the point that ALL walls must be done, this is, in fact, not the case

http://www.seai.ie/Grants/Home_Energy_Saving_Scheme/HES_FAQ/Homeowner%20FAQ/#home
    My home has an extension. The original building is a solid wall construction and the extension is a cavity wall construction. Can I get a grant for dry-lining and for cavity fill?

No. You can only apply for one category of each measure available under the HES scheme i.e. Cavity Fill or Internal Dry-lining or External wall insulation. In the case above you should apply for Internal Dry-lining as this will be the more expensive part of the project (and thus the grant is more generous). To be eligible for the grant you must undertake the optimum solution. This would involve completing both the dry-lining and cavity wall insulation. You can only claim the grant based on the dry-lining costs alone.

The kitchen/bathroom we are looking at getting done are in a flat-roof downstairs extension.

Advertisement