Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Football Manager 2011 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

The players want an obscene amount of money in this game!

Tried to sign Defour but he wanted 50k+ a week, and also wanted a minimum release clause of 19 million! Then looked at Rakitic and he wanted 40k+! Madness!

Hazard?

If you are still looking for a AMC/Trequartista, I'd recommend Haris Medunjanin (I mentioned him before)

This what he currently looks like in my game

medunjanin2.png

He can be picked up cheaply

I got Defour on €37,500 p/w. I had to pay a nice bit in signing on/agent fees (~500k/1M) on top of €6.5m bid but I made sure it was a 5 year contract that he'd be agreeing to so it will be along time before I'll be greasing that agents hand again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Desire to Aspire

I got the game two days ago and I love it! It's so addicting. So far, I've had games with Real Madrid and Spain but I'm still just testing the water.

I'm planning on doing a full career with all leagues selected soon, and I might make a thread about that.

Class game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

Congrats to Miles Jacobson (studio director at SI) who got an OBE today from The Queen :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

The players want an obscene amount of money in this game!

Tried to sign Defour but he wanted 50k+ a week, and also wanted a minimum release clause of 19 million! Then looked at Rakitic and he wanted 40k+! Madness!

you need to bargain with them ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Dempsey wrote: »

medunjanin2.png

He can be picked up cheaply

Nice, decided to search for him myself and got him for €1mil. A steal! He isnt arriving till July tho so I have to make do with my injury prone midfield till then. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I'm getting seriously pissed off at the minute with formations. I have two saved formations. One is a fluid attacking 4-4-2 and the other is a counter attacking 4-5-1 formation. Whenever I change the formation from one to the other, the team settings stay the same and I find myself having to adjust everything again and it's a right pain in the arse. Anyone else having this problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I was having the same probelm as well. I also found that when i changed settings for the formation it would reset again sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I hate how match preparation resets at the start of every season, they play using the same three formations all season, go on holiday, then completely forget everything from last season, stupid. As a result the team always plays completely **** at the start of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Won the league with Liverpool in my 3rd season! Nearly threw it away though, had a 13 pt lead and then got some pretty bad injuries, ended up clinching the title on the final day with a 2-0 victory over Bristol City.

Love this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Junior D

Eire-Dearg wrote: »
    Won the league and League Cup with Bolton in my first season.

Unbelieveable, wish I could do that. Not good enough tho and I love the club too much to relegate them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Junior D wrote: »
    Unbelieveable, wish I could do that. Not good enough tho and I love the club too much to relegate them
    Was pure luck in most games, I had a 'Bolton given controversial penalty' email every second game! Took part in 3 penalty shootouts over the season! Elmander had a fine second half of the season, scored 19 goals and Davies cleaned up in the first half of the season scoring about 13 before being put out for a few months. Isamit-Marin and Zat Night scored around 12 between them, all from headers at the far post which helped nicely!

I want Stuart Holden to do so well (maybe because he's doing well in real life!) but he's incredibly average in the game. His shooting his terrible, and my scout has recommended 4 and a half star Gylfi Sigurdsson and I'm determined to get him at AM!

Jaaskelainen is a gem in the game. Club player of the season, and named in the PFA team of the year! His average was always about 7.8. Lee Chung Yong is infuriating though, he can only play well at attacking RM, but his crossing is terrible and he really should be more versatile in the game.

Martin Keown is my star coach. Got him in for about a grand a week and his stats are insane! I'm trying to get him as first team coach, and want to get Sami Hyypia in as assistant manager because i hear his stats get ridiculously good in the game?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭corcaighabu92

yimrsg wrote: »
    Did a season with Arsenal and finished 4th. Should have won the league, was gutted as I drew 2 games 3-3 in may. Was winning 3 nil away to Bolton till they pegged me back. Against Everton the lead changed hands but neither of us could get that winner. Top 3 all finished on 83 points, I finished on 82. Utd have Rooney to thank as he scored 40 in the league and 51 in all competitions. Most of the matches I lost we were dominating but just not killing off teams (very familiar sounding).

Starting Transfers
    Bought Shawcross (hoping for no revenge from Ramsey in training) and M'Vila at the start because A) Koscielny is muck statswise, Squillachi & Song were injured and B) I needed some grit in defence and midfield. Plus M'Vila is an Arsene Wenger style signing.

Tactics
    Played control and very fluid 4-2-3-1 and never really changed tactics even if I was away from home. Drilled crosses, press more, roam more and stay on feet. Touchline instructions were hassle opponents, stay on feet and work ball into box. If I needed a goal I would ask players to overlap more and change to attacking. It got a draw against Real away from home who went on and won the CL.
    Striker's role varied depending on possession, DLF if we needed more possession and poacher/advanced forward if we were in control.

January Signings
    In January I signed moussa sissoko to join end of the season and Rakitic once his contract expires. I also signed Lucas (Sao Paulo) and Zezhino (Santos). Both have good potential and Lucas was almost good enough for a spot on the subs bench. Finally I bought Phil Jones from Blackburn with an eye for the future.

Rakitic is a replacement for Rosicky after me and his agent had a falling out on a contract renewal. Have a better replacement in Wilshire and the young brazilians will get more game time. Sissoko was meant to replace Diaby but after some fine performances he's probably done enough to stay. Think denilson and maybe ramsey might be let go as they didn't impress me as much though I may loan them out just in case. Jones is a long term prospect defender so I'll be playing him from the bench (covers 4 positions now) and give him starts occasionally. Djourou is the scapegoat for the 3-3 at Bolton so will be shipped out along with Koscielny who isn't up to scratch. Vela's versatility will mean he stays but Bendtner isn't good enough to challenge for the first team.

Future Signings
    Looking for a world class striker and keeper as I want to develop my youngsters in midfield and defence. Chamakh and RVP did well for me but they never really scored as much as they should have. Both went long periods without scoring. Thinking Dzeko/Benzema or maybe try for Aguero. Akinfeev/Neuer/Adler are the other options. As I did a small database I limited my options.

Star Players
    Nasri was amazing, averaging a goal every 3 games and almost that with assists. Chamakh was good too and then Vermalen/Shawcross were solid in defence. Walcott also hit 17 goals.

Manager Status
    I promised the board a title challenge initially and January so I hope the board keep me on. I've a good relationship with the players and would hope that I stay in the job. If not I'll load up a large database (only did small first time round) and start again.

51 in 47 games...Some going..Pity it isnt a similar story in real life..

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭corcaighabu92

I started a game as Blackburn manager yesterday, I have just finished my first season - i kept playing because it was going so good for me, winning the League Cup and finishing 3rd in the League!

In terms of transfers i shipped off what I considered dead wood, for less than i hoped, which still limited me to just 2 transfers in. Players out were Jason Roberts, Pascal Chimbonda (which i have not been forgiven for) and Vincenzo Grella. This raised me just over £2million.

I signed Leigh Griffiths from Dundee for £1.5million ( a bargain seems as though i have never got him in my other games) and Martin Zeman from Sparta Prague for £1million.

In January Chelsea nabbed Jackson Ramm from me, and I recieved £1.1million from a tribunal for that, coupled with threatening the board with the fact that we would be left behind by our rivals i managed to muster up enough to sign a guy called Anele for £1.7million. I really needed cover for right back with Salgado being at the age he was.

Formation:

I mainly played 2 different formations, depending on who I was playing. In any match I considered myself good enough to win I played the following;

formhome.png

And against the bigger clubs, and to much success i played with just 1 up front and an extra man in midfield.

formaway.png

Competitions:

Final League Table:

Very tight at the top. Spurs were running away with it all season, United reeled them in a bit towards the end. I had a bad patch 3/4 the way through the season, and I thought I was going to miss out on a European spot (through the league), However we put a great run together at the end to secure 3rd spot!

Interesting to see Newcastle were only relegated on goal difference! Aston Villa had a tough season, nearly every week the press were saying Houllier was facing the chop, he never did get sacked though.

finaltable.png

League Cup:

I have never found the League Cup to be too difficult to progress in with a Premier League team, I managed to win it, beating Portsmouth 2-0 AET in the Final.

Cup Final Overview

The best thing about winning it for me though, was that I done so without conceding a single goal throughout the entire thing

FA Cup:

I didn't get on so good in the FA Cup, I went out in the 4th round at Home against Derby, who beat me 2-1.

Key Players:

Leigh Griffiths scored 14 in 30, Kalinic netting 12 in 36.

Zeman had 12 assists in 30 games, only scoring 1.

The 2 stand out players though were David Hoilett, who I would probably not have used only for I had no money to spend. He managed to net 10 times and set up 6, and Christopher Samba who had a fantastic season scoring 10 goals! He continually told me he wanted to move to a bigger club, but i eased his worries saying we were getting there, hopefully championss league football will keep him happy next season.

Staff:

With my success came many clubs trying to sign key members of my staff! The bigger clubs managed to nab a few on me, and I hate having to sign staff :mad:, I decided to try sign some recently sacked managers for a new Assistant, Sven and Roy Keane who both gave me false hope in that they agreed to go away and look at the deal, but neither signed. I did manage to get Alan Shearer to sign as my assistant after that!

Next Season:

I have been given £11million of a kitty with the aim of finishing in the top half of the table. I have decided i need a better central midfielder, one who is natural in that position.

As always though I am nearly certain I won't have as good a season as last season, I am just hoping to have one that will add to my reputation.

Still though, £11million is quite a bit more than I was expecting, so onwards and upwards I say!!

How many hours did it take you to complete the season. What kind of computer/laptop have you. Is it new??What size is your database. Im after playing 22 hours with Man United and I am only in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Ugh, don't have enough home grown players to play my match in the CL :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Desire to Aspire

Freaked. Did you have to forfeit?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

antomorro-sei. What happens do you forefeit the game or just not able to continue

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Just leave open slots in the registration and you'll be fine

allanb49 wrote: »
    antomorro-sei. What happens do you forefeit the game or just not able to continue
    Freaked. Did you have to forfeit?

No lads, I havn't gone past it because I'll have to "go on holiday" which I don't want to do.

Dempsey wrote: »
    Just leave open slots in the registration and you'll be fine

Legend! Thank you!

Now, off to play Dinamo Bucharest :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Hey lads,

Downloaded the game via steam there recently, and am playing the game on a macbook, now just one query, with my fm 2008 game i could click f3 and the game would minimize and let me click onto other applications like safari or itunes or whatever, but with FM2011, It won't let me do this, would this be because the game requires too much memory or something? right pain in the ass when im trying to change music or something and have to save and exit my game..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,921 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I find the command button will flick out of full screen mode with fm10.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

peabutler wrote: »
    2wew5cl.png

Won the F.A Cup with Bolton meself, finished 8th in the League and won manager of the season. Ancelottie got the sack and I reckon Chelsea might come knocking, wait to see the offer before deciding.

Which Dembele is that pea? I signed Garra Dembele but he was unhappy in England and I sold him in the summer.

mars bar wrote: »
    I find the command button will flick out of full screen mode with fm10.

Tis a pain in the ass, isn't budging for me

only1stevo wrote: »
    Tis a pain in the ass, isn't budging for me

No wait, press command and tab at the same time!

mars bar wrote: »
    No wait, press command and tab at the same time!

Nah that doesnt work either! Really annoying! Cheers though

Before I say this, I dunno anything about macbooks or whatnot, but could you not just change the screen size of the FM game play screen thingy?

Really? That works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Junior D

Before I say this, I dunno anything about macbooks or whatnot, but could you not just change the screen size of the FM game play screen thingy?

Too much effort

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Legend! Thank you!

Now, off to play Dinamo Bucharest :D

I told you to do that months ago! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Im just after finishing my first season (:eek:) with Liverpool and the league was tighter than a ducks arse lol! Only made more nerve wrecking when I had to play my final three games in 5 days. (Europa final and two EPL fixtures) Was an interesting finish ;)

Advertisement