Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Songs in English Are OK For Fleadh?

Options
  • 30-06-2010 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

I've been contacted by an old family friend in the US who has unexpectedly qualified for the Fleadh in Cavan in August. She's singing in the English language section. She is worried about her song list and is conscious that there can be a big gap between what goes down well in the US and what would be appropriate for the fleadh

Could anyone offer any advice as to what might be in or out (are there any clear rules or guidelines). Like how traditional should a song be to be appropriate or could recently composed folk songs be sung (jimmy mc carthy, ger wolfe)

She needs 4 slow and 2 upbeat so any suggestions or redirections to other sites would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

Stay away from any recent or 'contemporary' folk songs, some adjudicators can be really strict about how traditional the chosen songs sung are so she's best off adhering to that. What singers does she listen to? Or do you have an idea of what songs she has chosen?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭DJ Dodgy

The list at the moment contains
    (slow)
    Kilkelly
    Barbara Allen
    Dunlavin Green
    She Moves Through the Fair
    (lively)
    Pleasant and Delightful (lively)
    Jim Wheelahan's Automobeel (lively)

There were one's she like but was advised to strike from the list

Glendalough Saint (lively)
    Rose of Tralee
    Moses Ritolararay

Is Percy French out - my brother was pushing the pride of petravoe (Eileen Og). It's lively she's struggling with in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Futurecrook

I double checked all of this with a friend of mine who has entered the english singing competitions for years. Unfortunately She Moved Through the Fair will have to come off the list. It's not considered an appropriate traditional song. Your friend could maybe replace it with 'The Flower of Maherlio' - a beautiful song and very easy to learn.

The rest of the songs should be fine. Two more suggestions for fast songs are The Auld Grey Man and The Love Token.

Oh, and Percy French is a no-go!

Hope that helps! :)

Advertisement