Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert Maths Syllabus 2011

• 30-06-2010 7:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi,

I am resitting my LC Maths this year as a mature student and I have been trying to find out what the syllabus is for the 2011 exams but have had no luck! I rang the department and they have told me to call the local schools and see what they are using in terms of books and study aids but as its holidays there is no one there and I really wanna get a head start on it during the summer. So for all the maths teachers or those that can help out there can you tell me what material I need for the course?
    Thanks in advance,

Peachy:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Hi, I'm doing the Leaving Cert in 2011. Unless you're in one of the Project Maths pilot schools (only 24 or something in the country - so unlikely), you'll be doing the same ole maths course that's been around since 1993.

The current maths course however is coming to a close, and for the Leaving Cert 2012, Project Maths will have began rolling out.

The current maths syllabus is here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 turbanfever

I'm sitting my leaving cert next year. Which level are you planning to do? Ordinary or Higher? I'm not even aware of what is on the syllabus. The book that my class (Higher Level) is using is called Texts and Tests 4 and we shall be getting Texts and Tests 5 for 6th yr when we go back.
    As far as I know those doing Ordinary Level are using Texts and Tests 3 but dont quote me on that!
    There are other maths books but our school only uses this one so i cant compare if its the best one to use. There are also numerous Revison Books which I'm sure could help you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

have you seen the past papers and solutions/marking schemes?

http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=en&sc=ep&formAction=type

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Peachy84

Cheers for that, Im hoping to do ordinary level. The last time I sat my exam was in 2002 so I have no idea what I need to get in terms of course material.. I think I used "Concise Maths" at the time although that was a long time ago and my memory isn't the best!
    Is "Texts & Tests" the standard of is there other books available? I assume that they all have the relevant info that I will need in them right?

Text and Tests 3 is for the Ordinary Leaving Cert maths. Text and Tests are fairly common, and to be fair, they're quite good.

• Advertisement

you can roll back the years with this so http://www.schoolbooks.ie/21397-New+Concise+Maths+3+%28OL%29+Gill+%26+MacMillan+School+Book

and have you heard about the new log tables?

Log Tables???

Whats that all about?

Its been a long time since I have seen Concise Maths.....Oh the memories!!!!!

and these are the amendments / errors if you happen to fall upon the first edition of the log tables http://www.examinations.ie/schools/S_92_09_Re_Formulae_and_Tables_Booklet.pdf

Are you given these in the exams? As far as I can remember we had formulae tables but not during exams only for study towards it....

• Advertisement

Peachy84 wrote: »
    Are you given these in the exams? As far as I can remember we had formulae tables but not during exams only for study towards it....

Yes you are given log tables in the exam. The new ones have extra formulae in them which means less for you to learn

well thats at least one good thing about repeating eh! do you need to buy them or what?

On another note while I have the attention of the class.. haha
    What is the couse material for Business Studies? Got an A1 in 2002 in ord level but need at least a C3 in Higher. Also Im resitting my English too got an A1 in that in ord level but need at least a C3 in higher..Any suggested reading material for this?

Thanks again for all your help I really do appreciate it :)

well thats at least one good thing about repeating eh! do you need to buy them or what?

€4 last september they were I believe

Also Im resitting my English too got an A1 in that in ord level but need at least a C3 in higher..Any suggested reading material for this?

fflick down to english http://www.education.ie/home/home.jsp?maincat=17216&pcategory=17216&ecategory=17233&sectionpage=&subject=17601&language=EN&link=&page=

Hamlet will be your baby :)

What is the course material for Business Studies?

The business syllabus can be got from the link above too. The important thing to note is that the ABQ units for 2011 are 3, 4 and 5.

Well it better be as good as Othello so! Any suggest on what copy of hamlet to buy? there is quite a few different ones on schoolbooks.ie
    Did Patrick Kavanagh, Eavan Boland and Emily Dickenson first time round and enjoyed the 3 so thats something to look forward to!

Any info on Business??

Cheers for help Pathways

Any info on Business??

Apart from the link and ABQ info I posted above. No. Nothing. :o

ABQ????

Sorry if Im coming across dumb its been a long time since I done all of this!

Any suggest on what copy of hamlet to buy?

Nope. Can't help on a copy of Hamlet. Check out the mel gibson version and laurence olivier version of hamlet on Youtube. Full films there. Bits of the kenneth Brannagh one as well.

ABQ????

Applied business question. It's a compulsory question on the exam worth 20% and every year they base it on 3 units of the course. The units move up a notch cyclically every year so be careful when looking at past papers.

• Advertisement

Ok so this year their focusing on Units 3, 4 & 5??

Will I get away with learning all this at home or do you suggest grinds?

Edit: Can you suggest any course material for this? All Im seeing is 21st Century Business, would that be the norm?

Ok so this year their focusing on Units 3, 4 & 5??

Will I get away with learning all this at home or do you suggest grinds?

Yep for LC 2011 it's units 3,4 & 5 .....plus the rest of the units for the other questions :D

English: I'd say do some reading for the comparatives first. Most students pick 1 novel, 1 play, 1 film. If you are picking 'a doll's house' then the whole of that is on youtube too. And have hamlet read either as the single text or comparative by the end of august. No point getting grinds until you have the basic material in your head. The marking schemes and chief examiners reports with exemplar answers on www.examinations.ie will be your bible.

Business: Plough through the book.

Maths: The one you might be most likely to need grinds for. Make sure it's not the Project Maths book you get, but the current syllabus.

Can you suggest any course material for this? All Im seeing is 21st Century Business, would that be the norm?

Nope :o. There's a few threads here on people looking to do subjects in a year and various 'revise wise' and 'less stress more success' revision aids have been suggested. You will still need the main book but I have no recommendations. That requires a new thread :D

Edit: when I said 'nope' I meant i have no suggestion. I wasn't saying 'nope' to 21st century business being the norm

Cheers Pathway33...your a star!

For English Im gonna do Hamlet as the single text, Lies of Silence for the comparative and Il Postino for the film and also comparative..I actually did Lies of Silence for my JC!

For maths Im going to a repeat class in a VEC in the evening and I might do for english unless I manage on my own and get grinds every couple of weeks...

For English Im gonna do Hamlet as the single text, Lies of Silence for the comparative and Il Postino for the film and also comparative..I actually did Lies of Silence for my JC!

For maths Im going to a repeat class in a VEC in the evening and I might do for english unless I manage on my own and get grinds every couple of weeks...

Excellent plan. Best of luck

Pathway33...your a star!

yeah i know :D

Ah ya really are a star Thanks a Mill

You can be sure Ill be back to ya with more questions in the future!

Look forward to it. I'm planning to be here :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Cheers Pathway33...your a star!

Think about doing the evening class for English as well ... the discussions and just the general peer support will make the year that bit easier.
    pathway33 wrote: »
    yeah i know :D
    ~_~

Senor Ego! :P

• Advertisement

Will the actual exam in june be easier now that a record number of people failed maths in the last Leaving Cert?
    I can only speak for the higher level papers, but I'm sure the ordinary level papers are following a similiar trend. The 2010 maths paper was noticeably easier than, for example, the 2002 paper (but even later papers).

My hypothesis is that this is due to the fact the 24 pilot schools underwent a full Project Maths paper 1 and 2. The Project Maths course and paper is undeniably far easier than the current maths paper at ordinary and higher level. To even up the game, they're making the older course (the ones most schools have at the moment) papers easier too. This is to encourage more people to do higher level and increase maths grades.

Hence, we can look forward to relatively straight-forward maths paper in 2011.

Hopefully.

Advertisement