Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3's Skype app on non 3 (unbranded) phone?

Options
  • 30-06-2010 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I recently unbranded a three handset and therefore lost the installed Skype application. I tried to download it from the proper page of theirs, but it failed to install (it lacked some certificates or something like that).

Is there any way around this?
    I read somewhere, that on 3 UK you can install their app on non 3 UK branded phone but it seems, it is impossible here in Ireland?

Any experiences?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,228 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

what phone are you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭valdigre

Samsung Wave, bought last week from 3.

I read info on this site about 3 uk skype being available for non branded handsets, here: http://darkforestgroup.com/forum/index.php?topic=1170.0 It is unofficial, but quite logical, not sure if it is already valid there.

Is it a UK Phone or Irish Phone, why did you debrand it? Are you using it here or the UK?

There is no skype app for Samsung Wave from Skype website.

I debranded it because 3's firmware was eating battery like mental, besides there are some apps that are included in debranded one and not in branded one. It is bought in Ireland in 3 Ireland obviously.

Does it matter why I debranded or where was it bought?

I just want to know IF ONE CAN INSTALL 3's SKYPE APP ON AN UNBRANDED PHONE THAT HAS A 3 SIM INSIDE....

This is what I get:

20100630211914.jpg

• Advertisement

Your going to have to put back on the 3 firmware, if you take it to any fonemenders they'll do it for you.

That phone is running bada and I doubt to many people are well up on it yet, how do you find it? Was the 3 firmware not ok?

The phone is great, however their firmware sucks, it depletes battery in 24 hours of doing nothing.

I am already 3 days on standby with the new firmware and the phone used maybe 30% of the battery so no way, I am not going back to their firmware, not until they update it in some time and I would not count on that, as not so many of us bought the phone...

Too bad, no skype for me then, just hope their will be voip/sip app in the future :)

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭chalkitdown

You should be able to get skype working, you need a certificate that 3 recognise. I have one that will work for Windows mobile but am not familiar with the Samsung OS.

edit; I see it's called BADA, it looks like you will have to extract the original cert from the previous firmware, beyond my scope I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

Having same issue with Wave i got lately. Battery life seems woeful, which i know isn't right.

If debranded do you only lose the Skype or can u also lose like the WLM (Windows Live Messenger) widget?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

WLM will be gone too

• Advertisement

Walkman wrote: »
    WLM will be gone too

Ah ok. Does Skype and WLM work off 3G or any local WIFI? Cos if its just WIFI i could do without em.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Works off 3G.

Other skype and messenger apps work with wifi, just not the 3HI ones

Ok have few more questions bout the Wave, thought id just throw em in here.

Currently have a 3 branded phone but using an 02 sim (going to move to three within the next few days). I have downloaded Kies and am told there is a new firmware upgrade available. After abit of snooping i have found few bad stories about the upgrade.

Currently am running: (SW VER) S8500NEJE6
    (CSC VER) S85003IEJE7

So should i upgrade using Kies? Or can i just flash myself to a newer firmware?

Also what are advantages to flashing it? Have heard it improves battery, and unlocks sum widgets and apps, anyone with experiences of this?

Sorry if this seems bit ill-constructed lol

If upgrading firmware, I would recommend using kies.

I have semi-bricked mine using multiupload tool, it is being firxed in service now...

• Registered Users Posts: 17 FD1973

valdigre wrote: »
    Hi guys,

I recently unbranded a three handset and therefore lost the installed Skype application. I tried to download it from the proper page of theirs, but it failed to install (it lacked some certificates or something like that).

Is there any way around this?
    I read somewhere, that on 3 UK you can install their app on non 3 UK branded phone but it seems, it is impossible here in Ireland?

Any experiences?

Did you notice any change in battery? mine only lasts a day with little or no use (3G disabled) and Im wondering if a debrand and firmware update will fix it? Thanks

Anyone could provide certificate on question?

Could any of you guys provide the jar and jad installation files from 3 web site?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Hi, I'm currently on 3 with an unlocked HTC hero bought from meteor. I'm aware its quite hard to get free skype and msn working on non 3 phones. Would it be possible to get the installation files and the required certs from a 3 htc desire and get them working on a hero as they are both android?
    If so would anyone like to make these files available??!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Steky

Hey. Sorry for digging up an old thread but has anyone managed to get the Skype widget back on their Wave after debranding from the 3 network? I went into Fonemenders and they had a look at my phone but said they cant downgrade the firmware to the old 3 firmware. Any ideas what to do?

Advertisement