Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recent Irish Albums

Options
  • 30-06-2010 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭

I realised recently that I know absolutely nothing about Irish music from the last decade and a half. I've started creeping back into gigs again, but I also want to catch up on the albums I've missed.

What is indispensable, or worth exploring? I have very broad tastes, from jazz through rock and pop right across to country, and I like what little I've heard of the darker types of metal. Dance music leaves me cold, and my dislike of men bragging about the cost of their watches tends to rule out a lot of hip-hop - but maybe that's just the American variety. I'm willing to try anything, whatever my preconceptions.

Imagine someone who loves music, basically, but has been in a coma since A House. What would you recommend? I have a fifty quid HMV voucher, and I want to spend it starting a collection of Irish CDs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭annainez

I don't know how new it is, ( oh wait I checked the cover it's 2008) but Fight Like Apes have a savage album.

Fight Like Apes and the Mystery of the Golden Medallion

I LOVE them!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCNSoWSvyX4

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Siog-Alainn

I think Villagers album, Becoming a Jackal would be a good bet. I haven't gotten it myself yet but it's gotten a lot of great reviews.

Personally, I love Delorentos. They released an album (You Can Make Sound) in November so it's pretty recent. Two Door Cinema Club's album is brilliant too, you'll probably recognise some of their songs from ads. If you're looking for up and coming acts, I really like Planet Parade and Walter Mitty&the Realists.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,942 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Noelie McDonnell. He released his first album in 2005 (it's self titled) and then he released Beyond Hard Places in 2008.

His most famous song is "Nearly Four":

He really is a superb talent...

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭annainez

I also really like Róisín Murphy, she doesn't have any new albums out but Ruby Blue is great, depending what you like of course.
    Have a listen!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0Z_Xx9e_TM&feature=related

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

You could check out both JJ72 albums, JJ72 from 2000 and I To Sky from 2002.

Or you try God Is An Astronaut, an instrumental post-rock band. Check out The End Is The Beginning from 2002 and All Is Violent, All Is Bright from 2006.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

Simple Kid

check out his 2 albums called 1 and 2 respectively.....

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭shofukan

Clockwork Noise have an ep out, 'yes and no and everything inbetween'
    http://clockworknoise.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I've started my collection:

Fight Like Apes and the Mystery of the Golden Medallion
    Director, We Thrive on Big Cities
    Jape, Ritual
    God is an Astronaut, "All is Violent, All is Bright"

I'll steep myself in those four for a couple of weeks, and maybe come back for some more targeted advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

Enemies are a really good band who I haven't heard mentioned too much around the place. More instrumental post rock, but done really well I think. Adebisi Shank are pretty cool too, up-tempo instrumental rock stuff with really cool textures and effects. Definitely a guitar rock 'power trio' kind of band.
    Dance music leaves me cold, and my dislike of men bragging about the cost of their watches tends to rule out a lot of hip-hop - but maybe that's just the American variety.

That's just the crap variety ;) Good hip hop is a great kind of music. Del Tha Funkee Homosapien, De La Soul, A Tribe Called Quest, and Common are a few of my favourites. Some rappers can't get past talking about how great they are, for some reason. There are a lot, however, who take their lyrics just as seriously as any singer or poet might. If you compare a good rapper to your garden variety singer songwriter, I'd say the rapper would be a lot more passionate about the music.

And dance music is another misleading one. Most of the popular stuff you might hear on the radio is repetitive (hang on - repetition can be very effective when done right, but often isn't done well at all) annoying trendy rubbish, and a lot of great electronic music gets unfairly labeled as 'dance' music. Just try dancing to Venetian Snares or Autechre :p

I found it especially true for hip hop and electronic music, if you just make an effort to scratch the surface, you'll find a whole world of great music waiting for you. Electronic music is one of the few areas, I think, where genuine innovation and exciting new ideas can - and do - happen. Try Aphex Twin, Autechre, Boards of Canada and Venetian Snares for a start, and see what you think of those sounds. If you're into jazz, I think you'd appreciate where some of these guys are coming from (maybe not directly, but using that creative and curious part of the imagination) :)

Hehe, sorry that the part of my post about Irish music is way in the minority, but I always find the most fun thing about music is challenging your own preconceptions :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Seeing as you've got Jape's album, try out a band where he plays bass: The Redneck Manifesto, an instrumental math rock band.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Meeja Ireland

El Pr0n wrote: »
    Hehe, sorry that the part of my post about Irish music is way in the minority, but I always find the most fun thing about music is challenging your own preconceptions :)

You're probably right. I hope I do eventually get to tackling those blind spots in my taste. Writing off a whole genre is certainly down to my listening in an uneducated or unsympathetic way. But life is short, and I'm prepared to leave most dance and hip-hop aside while I fill some of the other glaring holes in my knowledge.

I'll certainly check out Enemies and Adebisi Skank.

I figure if I can acquire one Irish album a week, I'll be happy enough. Thanks again to everyone. I have a shopping list from this thread that'll keep me going till the end of the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Have to agree with pretty much everyone here.

But must stress The Villagers - Becoming A Jackal is phenomenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Bell x1

Snow Patrol

The top 2 irish bands of the last 15 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

The coronas aren't bad but are a college'esk style band... catchy tunes and the lead has a decent voice...

The blizzards are ok, their lead singer is a w*nker in every sense of the word but i like the music and their alright live.

Bell x1 are useless

Snow patrols first album was ok, the rest... much like most of radioheads sh*te... was sh*te.

not too much more worth mentioning, bar someone along the lines of damien rice or Damian dempsey

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

the rags are very good indeed

saw them last night at the captain america's openning in blanch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

I love to To Hell or Barbados by Damien Dempsey and For some strange reason by Aslan.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 baddler

No mention of Cathy Davey? Seriously underrated

Also Lisa Hannigan, Villagers, Director and Dark Room Notes

Some very good music coming out of Ireland recently

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Remember the OP said he was out of touch for the last Fifteen years...

Most suggestions i'm seeing are from the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Hackysack

Wallis Bird. I discovered her around the same time as I discovered Cathy Davey.

She's a livelier Cathy Davey who has a rake of upbeat songs. Definitely worth a listen to imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

If I was to do a top 15 Irish records of last 15 years

1995 - Whipping Boy - Heartworm
    1996 - Divine Comedy - Cassanova
    1999 - The Frames - Dance The Devil
    2000 - David Kitt - Small Moments
    2001 - Mic Christopher - Skylarking
    2002 - Future Kings of Spain - FKOS
    2002 - Damien Rice - O
    2003 - BellX1 - Music in Mouth
    2003 - Damien Dempsey - Seize The Day
    2003 - Rory Gallagher - Wheels Within Wheels (unreleased stuff)
    2005 - Autamata - Short Stories
    2006 - Iain Archer - Magnetic North
    2007 - The Flaws - Achieving Vagueness
    2008 - Jape - Ritual
    2009 - David Kitt - The Nightsaver

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Aaagh! by Republic of Loose is a great album, bar two songs which, thankfully, are right after two of the best songs on the album.

Advertisement