Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting a kitten. What i need?

Options
  • 30-06-2010 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi, i have decided that i am going about getting a kitten, but i have had no experience of any sorts of kittens/cats, so i would appreciate your opinions and help me if ye can. Also would it be safe to have around dogs as regards to diseases and etc.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭muppet_man

boxermad wrote: »
    Hi, i have decided that i am going about getting a kitten, but i have had no experience of any sorts of kittens/cats, so i would appreciate your opinions and help me if ye can.

To be honest this is more of a pet issue than animal welfare. Might get better response there. Here are a few tips anyway. I hope they help

Firstly a kitten should be left with its mother for approx 6-8 weeks. Its mothers milk is the best way to build up it immune system.
    I suggest that once you get your kitten bring him to a vet right away for a once over.

Kittens are more prone to worms which can give them the runs and lead to dehydration. Because they so small that won't take long! The vet will do this for you at first but will need to be wormed every 3 months there after.

They also need two injections about 2 week apart. These are for cat flu, feline leukemia etc. Again your vet will advise you straight away on your first visit.

Please please please have the kitten spayed / neutered. This has long term health benefits in cats. Toms won't stray as much and fight. Future kitten won't need rehoming or get abandoned.
    boxermad wrote: »
    ...would it be safe to have around dogs as regards to diseases and etc.

I suggest your kitten should have all its injections before mixing with other animals just in case it might pick up something.
    Weather it will be safe with your dogs attacking it or not really depends on the dogs nature

Food wise a kittens food requirement differs from that of an adult cat. Again your vet can advise you on that. All the top brands, Royal Canin, Ojen (may be spelt wrong) do a line in kitten, adult and senior cat foods.
    Personally I use Royal Canin and only use supermarket brands like Whiskers etc. as a rear treat.

I hope this is helpfull to you. Congrats on getting a kitten. Enjoy being a cat owner :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Good thread here if you want to have a look. The Sweeper has some good tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Kitten should be fine around the dog as long as the dog is cat friendly.
    With regards to what you need, food, litter tray and a warm place to sleep are the main things:D, anything else is just fun extras.
    Seriously though, cats need vaccinations just like a pup, your vet will advise. Same goes for worming and flea treatments, also neutering at about 4-6 months.
    Food, litter tray(type of litter is up to you, but you may have to try a few before getting one that suits), a few toys(mouse, bell ball, dangly thing on stick), cardboard box always a hit with cats, something to scratch(lidl and aldi have great climbing/scratching combo's fairly cheap), get a brush and get the kitty used to it early on and thats about it.
    Oh and kittens love company, 2 is twice the fun!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

The dog or cat probably won't catch anything off each other but the cat could catch things from other cats.

I'd say even if the dog is good with cats, be very careful with the kitten and be absolutely sure they're good together before leaving them together . . . because the dog mightn't know what the kitten is and think it's a mouse or toy or something.

And I'm guessing you have a boxer which could step on a kitten or hurt it while playing, so just to not really leave them alone together until the kitten is bigger. I had a medium sized dog accidentally hurt a kitten and she had brain damage and had to be put down, and he was used to kittens, but it could easily happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

But do make sure to worm the kitten and deflea it if neccessary :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭boxermad

ya i have 2 boxers, 1 is only a pup itself, both the dogs seem to get on ok with the kitten they just keep licking it although the kitten kinda hisses at both of them and the pup runs away. I still have her in the kitchen but leave the dogs in while i would be doing things in the kitchen to get them to get to no each other slowlly

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

At least 8 weeks and preferably 12.

We were just at a friend;s house; they have an 8 week kitten, since 6 weeks.. It felt cold in my hands. They need the warmth of others. And to be weaned carefully and gently and vaccinated.

Harder work for the owner.. but a far better start for the cat.

Too often they are talen from their mother as soon as they can eat /lap. That is not the right criteria.

Advertisement