Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Zealand 2011...!!

Options
  • 30-06-2010 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭

Ok my plan is for me and the OH to travel to New Zealand for a year, next september!..
    Im looking for any bit of advice really, from people who have done the same.
    We will both be 22.
    Which island to go to? Well we have decided to spend a good bit of time on the north island to be around for the rugby world cup!
    But for jobs, accommodation, fun, etc..
    Do you meet a lot of fellow Irish out there?, just being curious!

Bit scared of spending xmas over there though, will miss home Id say!
    But its time to get out into the big bad world, so they say!!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

How long are you planning to spend here? Will it be a full year? I would recommend looking for work in Auckland if thats the case as it will be the main base for the Rugby World Cup, although be careful when looking for rental accomodation around that time as I reckon rent's maybe inflated a bit for that period.

As for travelling around, my advice, if you have the time like a couple of months, buy your own van and travel both islands getting the ferry from Wellington to Picton on the south island. Definitely give the South Island more time as having done a month in each in a van I would spend more time south as its more scenic, although Cape Reigna at the top of the North Island and 90 Mile Beach are both stunning too.

As for meeting other traveller's, we were stopping in Top 10 Parks along the way which are like caravan parks so you tend to mee people there in the kitchen when making your dinner and get to chatting. If your staying in Hostels when you arrive you will probably meet all sorts so you should be fine.

Any more questions, fire away!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

Ok my plan is for me and the OH to travel to New Zealand for a year, next september!..
    Im looking for any bit of advice really, from people who have done the same.
    We will both be 22.
    Which island to go to? Well we have decided to spend a good bit of time on the north island to be around for the rugby world cup!
    But for jobs, accommodation, fun, etc..
    Do you meet a lot of fellow Irish out there?, just being curious!

Bit scared of spending xmas over there though, will miss home Id say!
    But its time to get out into the big bad world, so they say!!:D

just be weary accommodation is going to be crazy for the world cup and coming that late could cause issues...it would be good to be settled somewhere for when its on as all temp accommodation is going for ridiculous prices...thats if you'll even be able to get any!

just to put it in context - for the All Blacks Ireland game - I could'nt get accomodation within 40K of the grounds and that match wasnt even sold out - God help when the cup starts...although every second person here is planning on renting out rooms to cash in...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭wicklowstar

Right well mid august would be the earliest we could get there..
    So maybe we could get somewhere in auckland at that time?

It would be amazing if we did get somewhere for that time though..
    Imagine there would be amazing craic around the place!

Anyone know if there would be a lot of bar work available?
    I have only ever worked in bars and shops!
    I will ave an ordinary degree in advertising and marketing at that stage, but wont ave an ounce of experience!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭FreeAnd..

Right well mid august would be the earliest we could get there..
    So maybe we could get somewhere in auckland at that time?

It would be amazing if we did get somewhere for that time though..
    Imagine there would be amazing craic around the place!

agreed - I should have timed it better to fit in with the world cup too! hopefully will get back for it though - I'd say it will be unreal...there has been alot of hype here since we got here last year and everything is building up for it...

Not sure about bar work but i'd imagine there would be a need for more staff more for the world cup

Advertisement