Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chainsaw Recommendations

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Looking at getting a chainsaw to cut down some overgrown coniferous trees at my mothers house, any recommendations?

I've been looking at the following 2 models;

Kiam Sherwood 18" 45cc Petrol chainsaw
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sherwood-Petrol-Chainsaw-Oregon-Walbro/dp/B003R7DNBQ/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_3

or

M738 McCulloch 2 stroke petrol chainsaw

http://www.amazon.co.uk/McCulloch-Stroke-Petrol-Chainsaw-38cc/dp/B0036WTELK/ref=pd_rhf_p_t_3

Wy dont you just hire 1 out for a day from any decent hire shop

About 25-30 euro for a day to hire 1 out.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

no decent hire shop will rent out a chainsaw these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭blackharvester

i had two mccullogh chainsaws, this is good chainsaw for using some time to times, but from both oil was leaking, so I brought back to the shop becauseIwasnt happy with this leak and i got money bac so I bought husqvarna chainsaw. but husqvarna is more expensive. I never heard about this other chainsaw, but if is so cheap ....

I think If you wont hire chainsaw you need to have chainsaw license or something like this

dardevle wrote: »

Eh,yes they will.

Sam Hire or HSS will rent.I got a Sthil off of Sam Hire a few months back.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭dardevle

Sam hire up these parts do not hire out chainsaws full stop....some hire shops do but only to properly certified persons and any 'decent' hire shop that does hire a chainsaw to all and sundry i would stay clear of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭simonj

Woodies are doing a garden shredder for 290-ish and throw in a free chainsaw worth 199

First time I used a shredder, and it was very impressive

http://www.buy4now.ie/woodiesdiy/productdetail.aspx?pid=8059&loc=P&catid=102.13

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 thereformer

good one about the free chainsaw worth €199 in woodies! the problem is there isn't a saw in the shop worth €20! they sell nothing but junk in the garden range anyway.

dardevle wrote: »

eh,yes they will.:)

Maybe you dont know a decent hire shop then perhaps??

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭celticmicky

paddy147 wrote: »
    eh,yes they will.:)

Maybe you dont know a decent hire shop then perhaps??

The only hire shop I have come across that hire a chainsaw are HSS, and they require you to hire all the safety gear along with the saw which brings the price up to almost as much as buying a cheap saw from the diy shops.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,524 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

sounds reasonable to me, given you'd want the safety gear anyway if you were buying the cheap one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭celticmicky

sounds reasonable to me, given you'd want the safety gear anyway if you were buying the cheap one.

How many people buy the safety gear? I have been working with garden machines for 5 years and only once has someone ordered the kevlar gear, and that was a council worker.

Advertisement